Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G6 / Moto G6 Plus / Moto G6 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

126 Posts

10-06-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

178 Signins

873 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 873
  • Message 1 of 8

Synchronising Contacts - New User

2018-10-06, 9:18 AM

I've just bought a Moto G6.

I keep my contacts in Outlook. I've imported these into my Gmail account OK and exported a .vcf file from there.

My phone has two contacts apps - [A] the default one supplied with the phone and [B] Google Contacts which I installed. I'm having problems with both.

Default app A - I imported the .vcf file OK and assigned my Google account. The contacts are loaded and the Google People option synchs but no new contacts are downloaded from my Google contacts into the app. Any ideas?

Google Contacts app B - I can't activate this app. It asks to me sign in to my Google account then gives the message "This account already exists on your device". I can't proceed any further. All other Google apps including Gmail work on the phone. Any ideas what's wrong.

Given the problems above which isn't very impressive, what is the most reliable contacts app to use on my Moto?

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Synchronising Contacts - New User

2018-10-06, 13:35 PM

wrote:

I've just bought a Moto G6.

I keep my contacts in Outlook. I've imported these into my Gmail account OK and exported a .vcf file from there.

My phone has two contacts apps - [A] the default one supplied with the phone and [B] Google Contacts which I installed. I'm having problems with both.

Default app A - I imported the .vcf file OK and assigned my Google account. The contacts are loaded and the Google People option synchs but no new contacts are downloaded from my Google contacts into the app. Any ideas?

Google Contacts app B - I can't activate this app. It asks to me sign in to my Google account then gives the message "This account already exists on your device". I can't proceed any further. All other Google apps including Gmail work on the phone. Any ideas what's wrong.

Given the problems above which isn't very impressive, what is the most reliable contacts app to use on my Moto?

The built in android contacts and google contacts are basically the same application. Both of them sync with your google account. 

I don't understand why you created a VCF or how you imported it on the phone - I haven't done this before.

The simplest way to sync contacts is to use the web google account. If you import your contacts into google via Gmail, then creating that gmail/google account on your phone should pull all the contacts from the google/gmail account into the contacts app on the phone. The second google contacts app you installed uses the same on phone database of contacts that were synced from gmail account. 

If you imported the contacts into gmail, and you can open gmail on a pc and see them, then they could be classified as something different, and under a different category from "my contacts" so the on phone app is filtering them. 

I would try to simplify things. If everything is in gmail online, I would remove the google account from the phone, and make sure the phone has no contacts. Then i would add the google account to the phone, and see if the contacts sync. If all not syncing, then try to figure out which ones are not, and narrow down from there. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 3 of 8

2018-10-06, 13:41 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe the app that's pre-installed on your phone is Google contacts.  This is probably why you're having a problem and the error message says the account is already running on your device.  Just in case something goes wrong, make sure the .vcf is current, and then uninstall what you installed.

When it comes to synching databases like your contacts file, there can only be one master file; everything else feeds off of the master, and is, to all intents and purposes, a slave.  If you prefer Outlook (and lots of people do, especially in a business environment where Microsoft is King  ;-)   ) you can synch directly  with it.  I don't know how; I know lots of people do and may chime in here, if that's what you want.  You'll also find lots of info on the web.

Taking this a step at a time, let us know how it goes.

Options

126 Posts

10-06-2018

178 Signins

873 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2018-10-06, 14:06 PM

You are both correct - I couldn't configure the second Contacts app since my Google account was already configured for the built in Contacts app. I deleted that second contacts app I had downloaded from the app store.

I then removed the Google account which wiped all contacts from the built in app as expected. I've reinstated the Google account again. It synchs all data but no new contacts are being synched with my Google account and the contacts list remains empty. The contacts are all still there in my Google account when I check using a web browser. I can import the contacts using a .vcf file but still nothing synchronises - either downloading new Google contacs made in the web page or uploading new contacts made in the contacts app.

I'm now stuck. Is there away of resetting the built in contacts app?

Options

126 Posts

10-06-2018

178 Signins

873 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2018-10-06, 15:11 PM
Breakthrough!

I added my outlook.com account which is where I store contacts anyway. I set that account as default in the Contacts app and all contacts appear and synch both ways.

I don’t want the Google account to be associated with Contacts nor do I want Gmail since I prefer the Outlook mail app. Is there a way of removing Gmail while preserving the Google account which the phone needs to operate?
Options

41 Posts

09-03-2018

United States of America

85 Signins

1015 Page Views

• Views: 1015
  • Message 6 of 8

2018-10-06, 15:24 PM

Unless the phone is rooted (or maybe tinker around with adb while the phone is connected to a PC) there's no way to remove preinstalled apps. You can uninstall updates and disable them, including Gmail. That can be done without affecting your Google account functions on the G6.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 7 of 8

2018-10-06, 15:26 PM

You can turn off sync for things you dont want to sync

settings - users & accounts - select gmail account- select account sync - turn off items 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

126 Posts

10-06-2018

178 Signins

873 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2018-10-06, 16:18 PM

I disabled Gmail as suggested. I've now managed to configure the phone using my Outlook account details as follows:

1. Outlook app for IMAP accounts, Gmail & Outlook email. GMail app disabled.
  2. Built in Contacts app used linked to Outlook account as default (I've no idea why it wouldn't synch to Gmail)
  3. Outlook app used for Calendar and built in Calendar app disabled.

All now works fine. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms