Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G6 / Moto G6 Plus / Moto G6 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

07-14-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 1 of 9

Tons of issues since Android 9.0 update on G6...

2019-07-14, 21:02 PM

Got the Android Pie update a few days ago and it really messed up my phone. I'm having the following issues now:

Phone shuts down 3-5 times a day and won't turn on with the power button. I have to hold the volume down and power buttons then choose start from the boot menu. 

I have been losing signal several times a day in great 4G areas.

My phone wouldn't charge from multiple chargers yesterday (wouldn't even register it was plugged in) then shut down and hung up on the blue "Moto" screen for over 10 minutes.

This is all very disappointing. Anyone else experiencing these issues? I'm going to do a factory reset soon to see if that helps but it's a huge deal (this is a work phone) and takes several hours of my time.

Answer
Options

5996 Posts

12-04-2017

India

1170 Signins

77328 Page Views

• Views: 77328

Re: Tons of issues since Android 9.0 update on G6...

2019-07-15, 9:46 AM

Hello Macchina,

Sorry to learn about that, we would like to help. This is unusual--not that I have heard before. My suggestion would be to perform a full Factory data reset without restoring any apps and do not yet install any apps-- observe for a day to see how it goes? This should more likely remove any glitch/corrupted files before the update and will improve your device overall performance. 

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Replies(8)
Answer
Options

5996 Posts

12-04-2017

India

1170 Signins

77328 Page Views

• Views: 77328
  • Message 2 of 9

2019-07-15, 9:46 AM

Hello Macchina,

Sorry to learn about that, we would like to help. This is unusual--not that I have heard before. My suggestion would be to perform a full Factory data reset without restoring any apps and do not yet install any apps-- observe for a day to see how it goes? This should more likely remove any glitch/corrupted files before the update and will improve your device overall performance. 

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

26 Posts

07-31-2019

United States of America

63 Signins

669 Page Views

• Views: 669
  • Message 3 of 9

2019-08-01, 12:33 PM

Yes, the Pie update sends a perfectly operating Moto G6 Play backwards in many areas. Why not just let the user decide whether or not to install the Pie update? Doesn't make sense to me. I'm now using a E4 Plus since updating the G6 Play to 9.0. (OK it's really a downgrade) If the E4 Plus just had Dolby Audio it would be be a killer phone.

Options

5 Posts

07-14-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 4 of 9

2019-08-01, 12:42 PM

I didn't believe it would work but did the full factory reset and that just about fixed all my issues.  Pie has been running very smoothly since:

>I did have 2 unexpected restarts but it's been reduced by 95% of what it was before the restart

>Charge works 100% of the time.

>No signal issues since the restart.

>Battery life is better than before and the phone seems a bit faster.

I reinstalled all my apps and none of them were causing the issue.  Looks like the reset really got Android Pie working correcly.

Options

26 Posts

07-31-2019

United States of America

63 Signins

669 Page Views

• Views: 669
  • Message 5 of 9

2019-08-01, 12:58 PM

I guess you never used Dolby Audio or Auto brightness? Those functions no longer are anywhere close to being the same. A few apps now require location to be turned on to function which also sucks.

Has your fingerprint sensor gone out yet? If not it likley will as I have read of many others that have. Also the microphone for the phone will stop working at some point as well (mine just did).

Options

1 Posts

08-04-2019

United States of America

3 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 6 of 9

2019-08-04, 15:56 PM

My phone is almost unusable at times due to constant lags, re-starting at random times that take forever, general messed-up ness, not to mention volume issues, bluetooth issues, blinding screen brightness.

This is maddening. When are the fixes coming?

Options

1 Posts

12-12-2019

India

2 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 7 of 9

2019-12-12, 6:46 AM

I updated to Pie Oct 2019 and it messed up the restart. Everything else works flawlessly, PROVIDED the phone can boot up properly. Before updating to Pie, I had absolutely no problems with the phone.

The restart has random behaviour - sometimes it starts successfully, sometimes the screen is frozen, sometimes it flashes a few times, and sometimes it goes to a blank screen and freezes. Each time it doesn't restart, I go to bootloader mode, turn power off and try again. Sometimes the startup succeeds in 2-3 tries, and sometimes even 15 tries didn't do it.

I did a factory reset, that still didn't solve the problem.

The only option seems to be to downgrade to Oreo. 

This has been a huge inconvenience.. and I'd be very wary of upgrading android in the future.

Other than this problem, I love the moto g6 play!

Options

2 Posts

12-19-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 8 of 9

2019-12-19, 19:18 PM

Factory reset does not fix the problems. It delays their return. 

Options

2999 Posts

04-04-2018

India

404 Signins

27725 Page Views

• Views: 27725
  • Message 9 of 9

2019-12-20, 8:25 AM

wrote:

I updated to Pie Oct 2019 and it messed up the restart. Everything else works flawlessly, PROVIDED the phone can boot up properly. Before updating to Pie, I had absolutely no problems with the phone.

The restart has random behaviour - sometimes it starts successfully, sometimes the screen is frozen, sometimes it flashes a few times, and sometimes it goes to a blank screen and freezes. Each time it doesn't restart, I go to bootloader mode, turn power off and try again. Sometimes the startup succeeds in 2-3 tries, and sometimes even 15 tries didn't do it.

I did a factory reset, that still didn't solve the problem.

The only option seems to be to downgrade to Oreo. 

This has been a huge inconvenience.. and I'd be very wary of upgrading android in the future.

Other than this problem, I love the moto g6 play!

Hi cariocafan,

Sorry to know about this. Have you performed the Factory Data Reset without an automatic restore? Kindly confirm.

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms