US

11 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 1 of 27

Turn off Pie Upgrade notification?

2020-01-05, 15:16 PM

Hello,

I have been getting  a message to upgrade my OS to Android Pie 9 since activating my g6 last week. I am running Oreo 8 and do not really want to upgrade due to the many issues noted in these discussions with the Pie update. 

How do I disable that notification? And if it can't be disabled, will that update just download itself at some point or can I just keep dismissing it?

Thanks!

Solved! See the solution
Options

1711 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1612 Signins

25203 Page Views

• Views: 25203
  • Message 2 of 27

Re: Turn off Pie Upgrade notification?

2020-01-05, 15:51 PM

wrote:

Hello,

I have been getting  a message to upgrade my OS to Android Pie 9 since activating my g6 last week. I am running Oreo 8 and do not really want to upgrade due to the many issues noted in these discussions with the Pie update. 

How do I disable that notification? And if it can't be disabled, will that update just download itself at some point or can I just keep dismissing it?

Thanks!

Go Phone Settings>Apps show all apps> 3 dots(Usually) and choose to show System apps> Scroll down to updater(Or similar) and then find the option  Mobile Data WiFi option  and disable the Background data and restart the phone.

Where this option is can differ on different versions but you will find it. This should stop the phone calling home for the Updates.

HTH :)

Options

5 Posts

08-10-2013

US

11 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 3 of 27

2020-01-05, 16:10 PM

Hello and thanks! You are right that it may be in a different place - and I haven't been able to locate that option. I have my mobile data and wifi both turned off, but I still get that message every so often. I also have the Motorola Notifications disabled. I seem to remember seeing something about background apps, but can't locate that now. I'll keep searching...

Thanks!

Options

1711 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1612 Signins

25203 Page Views

• Views: 25203
  • Message 4 of 27

2020-01-05, 18:34 PM

wrote:

Hello and thanks! You are right that it may be in a different place - and I haven't been able to locate that option. I have my mobile data and wifi both turned off, but I still get that message every so often. I also have the Motorola Notifications disabled. I seem to remember seeing something about background apps, but can't locate that now. I'll keep searching...

Thanks!

You just need tod find the,"Updater" app and it wil be in it's settings :)

Options

5 Posts

08-10-2013

US

11 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 5 of 27

2020-01-05, 19:44 PM

I found something called ConfigUpdater in the system settings. I disabled backgound data in that -but that message returned, so I set that back to the way it was.

I also have Motorola Update Services - I can try that and see if that works, but I have no straight "updater" that I can find.

Thanks for the help!

Options

5 Posts

08-10-2013

US

11 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 6 of 27

2020-01-05, 21:27 PM

wrote:

I also have Motorola Update Services - I can try that and see if that works, but I have no straight "updater" that I can find.

And no - that didn't do it either. :smileysad:

Options

5 Posts

08-10-2013

US

11 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 7 of 27

Moto G6 Anyone have Recent Experiences with Android 9 pie update?

2020-01-06, 13:20 PM

Hello,

I had asked about turning off the Pie 9 notification on my new Moto g6, but can't seem to do it.

So I thought I'd follow up and ask if anyone has had recent - like in the last month or two of 2019-Jan 2020 experiences upgrading a Moto g6 from Oreo 8 to Pie 9? I have read many warnings about Pie, but most are from back in the spring or summer, and some say to wait a while to let the bugs be corrected. As it is now Jan 2020, I wondered if that update is "safer" and can be installed? That would also solve my problem of that nagging notification.

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Options

35 Posts

10-27-2019

US

113 Signins

716 Page Views

• Views: 716
  • Message 8 of 27

Re: Moto G6 Anyone have Recent Experiences with Android 9 pie update?

2020-01-19, 3:42 AM

I haven't done the 9 Pie update since getting my G6, don't plan on it anytime soon, and my phone is doing fine.

The way to disable automatic system updates is via Developer Options. Activate Developer Options by going to Settings/System/About phone and touch the Build number field seven times. You will begin seeing a message as you approach the seven touches. Once the message appears, touch the back arrow and return to System and you'll now see Developer Options just above System Updates. Press on Developer Options, scroll down to Automatic System Updates, and turn it off.

Like you, I'm waiting for Moto/Lenovo to come up with a more stable 9 Pie update for Oreo 8 based phones. Whether or not that will happen, only time will tell.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

5 Posts

08-10-2013

US

11 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 9 of 27

2020-01-19, 14:39 PM

wrote:

I haven't done the 9 Pie update since getting my G6, don't plan on it anytime soon, and my phone is doing fine.

The way to disable automatic system updates is via Developer Options. Activate Developer Options by going to Settings/System/About phone and touch the Build number field seven times. You will begin seeing a message as you approach the seven touches. Once the message appears, touch the back arrow and return to System and you'll now see Developer Options just above System Updates. Press on Developer Options, scroll down to Automatic System Updates, and turn it off.

Like you, I'm waiting for Moto/Lenovo to come up with a more stable 9 Pie update for Oreo 8 based phones. Whether or not that will happen, only time will tell.

Thank you so much for this information! I tried it and so far - it seems to work! So very much appreciated! I was willing to just keep dismissing that notice if there was no way around it - but so much better to just have it turned off! Thanks again for helping with this!

Options

35 Posts

10-27-2019

US

113 Signins

716 Page Views

• Views: 716
  • Message 10 of 27

2020-01-20, 0:06 AM

You're very welcome. Actually, it doesn't turn the notification off, but does turn off any possibility of an unwanted automatic system update. I prefer to be in control as much as possible. The notice will still pop up on occasion, but not as often. Turning off the auto system update is the first thing I did after getting my G6, especially after reading SOOOOOOOOOO many issues ocurring after the Pie 9 update and didn't want to take any chances as long as the phone is working just fine with Oreo 8 and meeting my basic phone needs...which it is doing.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save