Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G6 / Moto G6 Plus / Moto G6 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

26 Posts

08-21-2018

United States of America

74 Signins

338 Page Views

• Views: 338
  • Message 11 of 23

Re: USB setting missing

2018-10-15, 16:06 PM

@Kemoti:  That worked once.  I turned off USB debugging, connected the phone, selected ‘open device to view files’ and photos were visible.  I disconnected and reconnected the phone, selected ‘open device to view files’, and the phone appeared in Explorer, but was blank.  I’ve tried various combinations of debugging mode on and off, developer options on and off, and USB configuration manually set to MTP.  With developer options on and USB debugging mode on, I can reset USB configuration manually to MTP and access the photos.  I’ll keep working on this.

@Agent Rich: in addition to this USB connection problem, I still need access to data.  Please help.

Hoodat

Options

120 Posts

06-14-2018

Poland

136 Signins

1131 Page Views

• Views: 1131
  • Message 12 of 23

2018-10-16, 11:09 AM

You have terrible bad luck. It works for me and it does not matter if I have USB debugging enabled. Tested on Win7 and Win10. The fact is that some people have problems with this on other phones. See maybe it will help you:

Fixing MTP drivers

Options

26 Posts

08-21-2018

United States of America

74 Signins

338 Page Views

• Message 13 of 23

2018-10-16, 23:16 PM

Kemoti, thanks for the suggestion. I checked my drivers; they are the same version shown in the screenshots in the forum post link you sent.

Options

5996 Posts

12-04-2017

India

1170 Signins

77328 Page Views

• Views: 77328
  • Message 14 of 23

2018-10-17, 16:12 PM

@ Kemoti, thank you for trying to assist on this —

@Hoodat 

Sorry that you are still having the ongoing issue with connecting your device via MTP— just to narrow down, may I know if you have already tested with different cables/pc and if that makes any difference? As you have also tried updating the drives with no avail— though sometimes you are successful connecting but unable to access the data?

• May I know which data are we talking about? Are you using SD card on your device?

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Options

26 Posts

08-21-2018

United States of America

74 Signins

338 Page Views

• Message 15 of 23

2018-10-17, 17:26 PM

Hello Agent Swaraj,

I'm using both the factory USB cable and an aftermarket one--no difference.  I've tried both cables in both USB ports on my main computer running fully patched Windows 7 64-bit.  I've also tried the phone once on a fully updated (spring update) Windows 10 64-bit.

Here's what I tried just now.  With the phone disconnected, set to Developer options on, USB debugging off, USB configuration was MTP.  Connected phone; window opened, selected 'Open device to view files'. The phone appears in Windows Explorer, but is empty. Phone does not appear in Windows 'Safely remove hardware...'

Disconnected phone, turned on USB debugging. USB configuration already on MTP. Connected phone, USB configuration switched to 'charging'. Set USB configuration to MTP. Window opened, selected 'Open device to view files'. All on phone is visible in Explorer. Internal storage is empty; MOT > dcim > camera--pictures are visible. Went to Windows 'Safely remove hardware...' Eject MTP is present. When I 'eject MTP' and remove the USB cable from the phone, 'Select USB configuration' immediately switches to Charging.

Is this normal operation?

Options

1 Posts

11-29-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 16 of 23

2018-11-29, 4:50 AM

Doesn't work. USB debugging makes it go from not copyable to invisible.  DOH

Options

14042 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1300 Signins

176755 Page Views

• Views: 176755
  • Message 17 of 23

2018-11-30, 17:19 PM

Hi Fuzztone,

Thanks for posting here and for trying the suggestions. May I know what is the model of your phone and the computer your're using? Also, please confirm other you've tried. It will help us omit providing the same steps that has been provided and done. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

20 Posts

10-16-2016

United States of America

19 Signins

195 Page Views

• Views: 195
  • Message 18 of 23

2019-04-21, 16:29 PM
This worked for me, I was so glad to find the discussion. I was able to transfer all my music files to my Moto G6. I don't know if it will work again, but if not, I'll be back to do some further research, thank you to all techs here that helped. I so hope Hoodat found a fix finally, Denise
Moto G6 8.0.0
Options

0 Posts

02-06-2020

United States of America

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 19 of 23

2020-02-09, 16:36 PM

Hi Hoodat,

I see someone has helped you here with your USB notification problem. 

Just to suggest another option as I have the same phone and maybe your phone has a glitch that mine does not, but I use Linux operating system on my laptop, which also has Windows 10 operating system on a second partition.  I have never had a problem viewing this phone or my previous LG Stylo 3 phone via Linux OS.  When I have it plugged in with USB, it shows up on my desktop.  My phone shows "Android Device, charging this device via USB".  Selecting this then shows Tap for Options, and I can choose the different ways to transfer or just charge the phone.  By the way, Enable USB Debugging is not enabled under Developer Options on my phone.  And, if I want to view the file system from my laptop I right click on the Moto G6 icon on my desktop, select "mount" and I'm able to use my file manager from my laptop. After I'm finished, I umount the phone and disconnect it, or just shut down the laptop and then disconnect. 

The big plus is I didn't have to install any drivers or extra software to do this.  Just thought I'd mention this.  I'm using Linux Lite distro, but I find any Linux operating system distro enables me to do this.  I have yet to boot into Windows to try to access my phone as this way is very easy for me.

Hope you get your wifi problem fixed.  I had to phone my service provider Tracfone to get a problem fixed for me where I was not able to receive text messages.  It took an hour on the phone to fix it, but they did.

P.S.  I've had my phone for a week and have done all updates including Android version update from 8 to 9.

Options

26 Posts

08-21-2018

United States of America

74 Signins

338 Page Views

• Message 20 of 23

2020-02-10, 0:50 AM
Thanks, Rachel. Win 7 started recognizing my G6 several months ago (after an update?) I never thought to try it on my Linux box (Mint).
However... about a month ago I gave up on my G6. Seems it was defective out of the box--could not access data over cell network at all. I finally got tired of that and bought a Samsung.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms