Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G6 / Moto G6 Plus / Moto G6 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-15-2021

Netherlands

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 13

Using SD as internal storage does not work as expected.

2021-01-15, 0:25 AM

Hi,

I've got a Moto G6 and my internal memory is full. I bought a 128Gb MicroSD and formatted it to internal storage. This worked perfectly with my previous Moto. After formatting it asked to move data from internal memory, which I did (it took about 20 minutes).

Settings > Storage now shows the following:

- 54Gb total used of 160Gb

- Internal shared storage: 31.44 Gb used of 32.00 Gb

- SanDisk SD card: 22.23 Gb used of 128 Gb

I encounter three issues:

1. I still cannot install new apps as it says my storage is full.

2. Somehow my phone 'created' 22.23 Gb of data. I expected this to be moved from internal to the sd card. But my internal storage is still full and now my SD card magically has 22.23 Gb of data.

3. When I try to migrate again (via settings > storage > internal shared storage > migrate data) I get the following error:

"There is not enough space on device for your SD card data. Please remove some items."

What could be the issue and how do I set it up correctly so the sd card actually functions as shared internal storage?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Anne

Options

14293 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1313 Signins

178190 Page Views

• Views: 178190
  • Message 2 of 13

Re:Using SD as internal storage does not work as expected.

2021-01-15, 18:39 PM

Hi Anne,

Are you not able to install any apps? Once a card has been formatted as internal storage,  both your device internal storage and the card will show up as “device storage”. Once a card has been formatted as internal storage, Play Store will install applications on either storage volume automatically, based on a set of rules provided by the application developer. Some apps can't be installed to SD card. Can you please try formatting the SD card again but this time, skip the migrate option, then try migrating your media , files and apps manually. Moving applications to the card can be done from application settings (Settings > Apps > select application > Change storage location).

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

2 Posts

01-15-2021

Netherlands

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 13

2021-01-16, 9:48 AM

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your help.

I've formatted the card again. As it was already formatted as internal storage, I had to first format it as portable and then format it again to internal storage. This time I skipped the migration step.

Without moving files and apps manually, I still cannot install new apps. It seems apps can only be installed on my built-in device storage of my phone?

I seem to misunderstand the concept of shared device storage. I thought that using an sd card as internal storage extends the built-in storage of the phone also allowing apps to be installed on the sd card.

If this is not possible, then what is the difference/benefit of using a card as internal storage versus portable?

I've attached a screenshot of my current device storage screen.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Anne

Options

14293 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1313 Signins

178190 Page Views

• Views: 178190
  • Message 4 of 13

2021-01-18, 15:32 PM

Hi Anne,

Thanks for trying the steps again.  I will ask around. Can you try manually moving some apps and files to your SD card just to free up internal space? Then try installing again from Play Store.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

1 Posts

10-05-2021

Canada

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 5 of 13

2021-10-05, 2:37 AM

Did this ever get resolved? I have the same issue and I'm seriously ticked off about it.

Options

6081 Posts

10-05-2016

United States of America

703 Signins

59812 Page Views

• Views: 59812
  • Message 6 of 13

2021-10-05, 18:40 PM

@ Carricknab wrote:

Did this ever get resolved? I have the same issue and I'm seriously ticked off about it.

Hi @ Carricknab ,

Thanks for posting regarding the SD card. We'll try our best to help. For us to further assist you, we'd like to ask you for some details.

• Can you tell us those things you already tried? (So we would no longer have to do it)
  • Have you tried formatting the SD card?

Please note that not all applications can be moved to the SD card due to the developer of the app's limitations.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Please do not send me a personal message regarding your concerns or questions if this can be posted to this community. We prioritize the ones posting on threads.
Options

1 Posts

10-12-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 7 of 13

2021-10-12, 13:40 PM

I have done some research on the web and unfortunately, this is a SYSTEM BUG.

Apparently, when you format your SD card as internal storage and transfer content to that card, the system erroneously thinks the content is still on the card and marks the internal flash as used space.  Apparently, after all the migration work, the only published work around is to reformat your SD card), lose all data, and start again - the published reports of solutions to this problem say that you can then properly erase, and free up (and mark as reclaimable) the old, released internal storage.  If you try to eject your SD card and erase the internal space, this doesn't work, as the system apparently isn't sophisticated enough to permit you to manage internal phone memory without also losing all the data on your (ejected!) SD card, i.e., it just simply says the SD card is missing and refuses to operate until its reinserted.  If you marked your SD card as portable storage, apparently, this is the only process that works correctly (and this requires reformat).

It is unfortunate, but there are at least THREE BUGS (meaning very poorly designed processes at work here).  (1) when content is moved to internal shared storage (SD card), a properly designed system should recognize the old memory space as free (it does NOT, meaning that full internal memory will continue to generate errors and you gain little benefit from moving content to free up space because the system refuses to recognize the old space as deleted); (2) you cannot "see" the old content in the internal phone memory and manually delete it (as an example, if you click on "audio and video" under files, the system will tell you that 10G of memory is used when if you example app-specific usage, you'll find it adds up to e.g., 500k); (3) you cannot view memory with your SD card ejected, i.e., apparently the system files that permit you to examine the un-ejected internal memory no longer work. 

Any analytical canvassing of the web will confirm that many other users experience these errors.  Lenovo/Motorola "could" address this problem by fixing "any" of the three bugs listed above.

Options

1 Posts

10-28-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 0
  • Message 8 of 13

2021-10-28, 14:07 PM

Excellent reply by WPS65! 

Yes, Lenovo/Motorola, please fix these issues.

Options

1 Posts

11-01-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 9 of 13

2021-11-01, 22:35 PM

I have also experienced this lack of functionality and am constantly out of storage.  I have moved things, but am still out of storage.

Options

4 Posts

11-01-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 10 of 13

2021-11-02, 0:19 AM

I had a similar experience last year. I had installed a 64gb SD card because I was also running out of room. I was having weird issues with the phone restarting on its own several times a day. My boyfriend's phone was doing the same thing. We both decided to put them back to factory settings. We backed up our info and did it. When I was done, my SD card stopped working. I tried to reformat it on my laptop. It didn't, and still fails to, recognize it. I had only had that card for a few months. I have not put another SD card into my phone and it is again, more than half full. Why did my SD card stop working? It took so long to get it to work, as the previous user wrote. I had those same issues with my SD card when I first installed it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms