10-25-2020

US

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 4

Weirdest (Bluetooth) Problem I've EVER seen

2020-10-25, 22:13 PM

Hello folks. I'm having the weirdest problem that defies logic. Perhaps there's someone who has seen this problem connecting a Moto G6 via Bluetooth to my Ford Sync (Sync with voice navigation) on my 2014 Mustang:

My Moto G6 connected via Bluetooth with no problems when I bought it about 2 years ago.  It's been working for 2 years, with only an occasional "no bluetooth phone found" error message when I start the vehicle. I'd say about once every 6 months at first. The solution a couple of years ago was to select "Moto G6" from the sync connected devices, press "connect" and it work work again. About a year ago that procedure stopped working, and the fix was to delete the G6 phone from the list on the sync (vehicle) screen, delete sync from the phone , then go back and select "add phone" on sync, and select "add new device" on the G6, wait for the two to find each other, then pair with the PIN that sync shows on the vehicle screen.

It's been happening more frequently lately. Last week, same problem: Started the car, sync said "no bluetooth phone found", sighed, (and cursed a bit), then went through the whole procedure again. This time, they failed to pair, with the G6 reporting "incorrect PIN or password". Did it again (and again, and again). Same problem, same error message. Did a Bluetooth reboot on sync, no change. Did a system reboot on sync, no change. Did a restart on G6, no change. Did a Master Reset (erase everything) on sync, no change. Did a "factory restore" on G6, no change. Tried other bluetooth connect apps from Google play, no change. I did a bunch of poking around, looking for parameters that might affect it in-between as well. I disabled wi-fi calling for example.

Here's what's so weird about this problem: The G6 (same phone) pairs with no problem on other vehicles. One is a 3 wheel Polaris Slingshot fun toy, with Bluetooth. The other is my wife's 2014 Hyundai Sonata. Both vehicles pair with my Moto G6 with no issues.

And my Mustang pairs with my old Motorola G4 with no issues, and with my wife's Moto G6 with no issues. I sat down with both G6 phones and compared them setting for setting, and everything that could even remotely pertain to Bluetooth is set identically. I can't believe that a different ringtone, or wallpaper, or different apps from Google Play could affect Bluetooth pairing, but if anyone has any knowledge contradicting that, I'd LOVE to hear about it.

I'd LOVE to hear any advice or help anyone can offer. Below are the specs that I can think of:

(my) Moto G6 :

Hardware version: PVT2

Model Number:   XT1925-6

Android version:   9

Build number:   PPS29.118-15-11-16

Security Patch Level:   April 1, 2020

(wife's) Moto G6  (exactly the same)

Hardware version: PVT2

Model Number:   XT1925-6

Android version:   9

Build number:   PPS29.118-15-11-16

Security Patch Level:   April 1, 2020

Ford Sync by Microsoft version: Sync With Voice Navigation (A.K.A. Sync 2)

Firmware version 4.6 (up to date according to Ford).

I would greatly appreciate ANY insight into what's going on. My decision as of now is a new car or new phone. With all the other unrelated issues, I may go for the new car option. But I'd still like to understand what the heck is going on with this phone and this car.

Thanks in advance !!!

Steve

Options

11452 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1167 Signins

158170 Page Views

• Views: 158170
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Weirdest (Bluetooth) Problem I've EVER seen

2020-10-26, 14:27 PM

Hi Steve,

Clearly you've done quite a lot of things and troubleshooting. I appreciate it. Can you please make sure you have the latest software version of infotainment? If you have other Bluetooth devices paired with your phone, I would suggest unpairing all of them and just pair you phone with your car system. (Settings > Connected devices > Bluetooth > Tap the gear icon next to each Bluetooth name > Unpair or Forget).

I hope that helps. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

2 Posts

10-25-2020

US

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-10-26, 16:16 PM

Thanks Rich,

The Ford sync car radio (computer really) is at the latest (and last) software version, 4.6.  It's an obsolete model, with firmware written by Microsoft. Ford now writes their own car computer firmware (which speaks volumes about Microsoft quality, or lack thereof).

My Moto 6 had an update pushed out by Lenovo (I presume) a few months ago. during the late spring or summer sometime. My wife never got that push update. I told her it's probably no big deal and we both forgot about it. My phone was already paired at the time, so it continued to work. This MAY be the first series of attempted pairings since the update in June, July, or August (sorry, I'm not sure exactly when it installed itself).

Did Lenovo issue an update for G6 phones late this Spring or Summer ?

Is it possible that update broke Bluetooth compatibility for older Bluetooth devices ?

Is it possible if you didn't issue an update recently that the phone's bluetooth software was corrupted by that update ?

How can I go about "backing out" that update ?

Thanks,

Steve

Options

11452 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1167 Signins

158170 Page Views

• Views: 158170
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-10-27, 19:16 PM

Hi Steve,

I wouldn't say it's due to update and I haven't heard similar report on Moto G6 after an update. I'd like to confirm, when you did factory data reset, did you restore your backup/third-party apps right away? 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete