12-31-2018

US

20 Signins

156 Page Views

• Views: 156
  • Message 51 of 91

Re: low speaker volume on phone calls

2019-04-09, 18:27 PM

Drupe is INSECURE and there is a big scandel about this all over the net - https://thenextweb.com/apps/2016/03/09/drupe-android-dialer-every-power-user-try/

and - "Android App With 10 Million Downloads Left Users’ Photos and Audio Messages Exposed to Public"

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gykxqm/drupe-android-app-left-users-photos-and-audio-messages-exposed

Drupe is only a DIALER and has nothing to do with the faulty circuitry in the Moto G and X phones!

WePhone is a Chinese dialer / IP phone app, ITS NOT A DIALER! I wouldn't trust a **bleep** thing from Commie China.

"CallApp: Caller ID, Call Blocker & Call Recorder"  .... how is this going to circumvent a CELL service calling circuit that is faulty in Moto G and X ???

You post nothing but nonsense.

Options

6 Posts

04-17-2019

US

10 Signins

141 Page Views

• Views: 141
  • Message 52 of 91

2019-04-17, 19:19 PM

New guy here.  I found this topic because I was looking to see if others had this issue.  It looks like it's ubiquitous.  To be clear, when using the phone (G6, brand new) with the internal speaker (not the speakerphone function), call volume is very low, even at maximum volume.  I've designed my share of hardware and written a mountain of code, so I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how this can be an issue.

It's April, 2019, and this thread goes back quite a while... hello, McFly?

Thanks!

PS: What's DOS?  You whippersnappers have no idea! (big grin)

Options

24 Posts

12-31-2018

US

20 Signins

156 Page Views

• Message 53 of 91

2019-04-18, 0:45 AM

Welcome to the "Screwed By Lenovo Motorola" thread. This issue is clearly NOT a hardware and everyone I've conversed with indicates it happened to ONLY the native Cell Calling function when updating to Lenovo's buggy version of Android 6.0. This Low or No sound on calls does NOT happen with IP apps such as Google Voice. ONLY the Cell Call embed.

Lenovo refuses to accept, or fix this issue, so remember that before you even think of buying any Commie owned Lenovo product from computers to tablets to anything.

Options

6 Posts

04-17-2019

US

10 Signins

141 Page Views

• Message 54 of 91

2019-04-18, 1:13 AM

Well, the G6 runs Oreo, not Marshmallow.  But it does seem odd that so many folks have complained about this and that it crosses model families.

What I am surprised about is that this really is a SMOP (Simple Matter of Programming) and should be easily cured with about ten minutes of coding efffort.  Push an update and be done.  Failing that, and knowing how folks love complications (why make it simple when we can muck it up?) perhaps we need a MotoBoost app we can stick on our phones.

Helllllo, MotoBoost!

PS: I still have my paper tape maker and reader.

Options

24 Posts

12-31-2018

US

20 Signins

156 Page Views

• Message 55 of 91

2019-04-18, 2:44 AM
The bug started with Marshmallow, but the idiots at Lenovo have perpetuated it in following releases since their version of Android is not "vanilla Android". I have no doubt that since the Chinese are both lazy and stupid, they just update the Kernal in a previous version of buggy Android that has this and other bugs that have also been perpetuated. Secondly, Lenovo is notorious for not giving a **bleep** about previous models and their owners, which equals why it spans so many EOL models.

The jerks also killed App Moving to any added External MicroSD card, that also started with 6.0 and virtually makes any Moto__ with only 8GB of Memory (really 5GB because Android and Accessory Apps eat up 3GB) a near useless Smart Phone you can hardly install any apps on. And the Chinese wonder why the world hates them and belittles their tech abilities and honor toward customers.
Options

6 Posts

04-17-2019

US

10 Signins

141 Page Views

• Message 56 of 91

2019-04-18, 15:30 PM

To be fair, you've just described virtually every phone manufacturer in existence in terms of lack of prior model support and EOL.  Phones aren't that expensive.  Instead of spewing all that stuff, why not just go buy one from someone else and eBay the one you've got?  Failing  that, root your out-of-warranty device and put plain-vanilla Android on it.

In terms of this issue, with this model, I'd sure like to see a response from the folks at Lenovo.  I still have some time on my warranty, my phone is brand new.  So we won't be rooting it for a while.

Options

24 Posts

12-31-2018

US

20 Signins

156 Page Views

• Message 57 of 91

2019-04-19, 2:42 AM

Well that is true about Most phone manufacturers, though CrApple seems to update backwards about 3 generation. That being said, their iPhoney's are more buggy with their own updates and they more in the "line light" so bad press always haunts them.  Never the less, this bug has been around for a couple years, we bought our Moto G3's New last year (NOS) but that asswhipes at Lenovo refuses to address our technically "in warranty" issue by blowing us off as them being NOS and EOL in THEIR book, not our Check Book! Another strike against these Beijing Aholes.

You will NEVER see a responce from the China Crooks, this thread and MANY others (Forums or Threads) referenceing this problems (and the MANY others that the Moto G's have) and BTW yours IS "New" and a current model, so we'll see how you fair.

Lenovo, along with Hauwei, Xiaomi, Oppo and One Plus are the slimmiest of all Cell Phone makers, the Net is filled with owner complaints and Disses. Motorola cared at one time, then the Silicone Valley ADHD jerks Google hosed the company when  they bought it and then when as usual they had a ADHD attack struc, sold it off to the Chinese Communist Party which own the controlling interest in Lenovo (Google it, it's true). Our Moto G3's were made in the last Motorola USA factory in Arizona, but that didn't stop LeNOvo from hosing our phones.

Options

6 Posts

04-17-2019

US

10 Signins

141 Page Views

• Message 58 of 91

2019-04-19, 13:14 PM

None of any of that is relevant to the issue.  I did customer service for many, many years, in a number of capacities for several companies.  Rule number one is never make the guy who can help you mad.  If I were Lenovo and saw that someone saying the things you do wanted help, I'd blow you off in a heartbeat.  I'm well aware of who owns what, and why.  Don't care (in this context).

What I care about is someone taking ten minutes out of their day and changing a couple of values in a lookup table.

Options

7 Posts

04-26-2019

US

6 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 59 of 91

2019-04-26, 19:29 PM

Bought a moto g6 7 weeks ago that had the same issue as discussed but at that time did not access this forum and am now just reading postings.  Instead had read numbers of complaints on other sites.  Android 8.0.0 Version PVT1 SKU XT1925-6.  Note I have been a senior electronic hardware engineering tech for decades in Silicon Valley so am very familiar with how to troubleshoot problems.

Issue: Low call volume on the moto g6 External Speaker (narrow component at top of phone) while normal volume on all other applications with audio regardless of Volume settings though those settings do change the volume relatively.  Also normal volume when plugging into Earphone Jack though after removing the plug that automatically switches back to Speaker, the volume will change back to low.

Contacted Lenova Motorola support 3 times going over several processes others have mentioned.  Eventually they had me return the phone with a replacement received I have just now set up.  It has the same problem.  Thus contacted my cellphone service and as expected they related the issue cannot be related to any of their controls.  Then registered for this community and immediately found all these similar complaints.

First set the phone Volume button to maximum.  Also under Phone...Accesibilty set the Hearing Aid function On though don't know if that is affecting operation.  Also set for Ring plus Vibrate since the Ring volume may also be low.

A way to test the volume is to go into the Phone app and with the keypad press down on 1 in order to bring up Voicemail.  At this point my External Speaker volume always start low low though for a moment the volume bleeps normal before going back low.  I then select the Back Arrow button that will change the display to the call controls.  Select Speaker then select Mute.  At this point the volume on my phone is ususually normal.  If not may need to repeat between Mute and Speaker.

Signals from apps with audio all feed a common output audio circuit that routes audio to either the External Speaker or the Earphone Jack. Plugging an earphone in is sensed by a decrease in Earphone Jack impedance that then switches at a split, the signal to the jack while blocking the path to the External Speaker. The Volume button on the side of the smartphone must be in the path before the split as would the Dolby app.  Apparently there are further control inputs in just the External Sspeaker path beyond the split and one of them is attenuating the audio volume if the Phone app is active while not doing so for all other apps.  Per above, the Mute and Speaker selections apparently also have inputs to the controls after the split that attenuate the audio volume. Suspect the hardware implentation of this control circuit after the split is poorly designed so a software fix impacts other features Lenova wants active.

Obviously Motorola engineering understands such a simple issue and is being prevented from being honest about a fix or inability to fix it due to hardware limitations, due to Lenova legal department expecting they could be sued as it might remove audio features in the process.

It is not really practical to have an earphone always plugged into a smartphone, so will try and deal with phone calls by performing the above actions and report back.  If that proves to be impractical will ask for a refund.

Options

24 Posts

12-31-2018

US

20 Signins

156 Page Views

• Message 60 of 91

2019-04-26, 22:52 PM

Excellent analysis of that one issue which plagues Moto G3 's THROUGH  even G7's as I've read.  However, I would not discount that Lenovo is too INCOMPETENT to solve the issue instead of Unwilling.

There are two other issues that I know G3 and G4 models have, one of which may be associated. We have it on BOTH of our Moto G3 phones purchased NEW as NOS. One horrific issue is is that the screen goes black during a call  and does  not come back on  (whether you are  listening to the call  against your face or  using  the Speaker selection, so you cannot Hang Up the call! No screen, therefore no access to the Red hung up button on the screen!

This happen with either  a Cell call or making a Google Voice (IP) call. I have read many other posts on other threads  by other G3 and G4 owners complaining about  this.

Another issue  is that Lenovo's  version of  the last Android  update available to G3 owners  (Android 6.0) eliminated the ability to MOVE   apps to  an auxiliary installed MicroSD card from the native SD Card. If you have a 8GB or 16 GB MotoG3, you are screwed to a limited number of Apps you can installs.   The 8GB G3 and G4 are essentially made worthless.  Lenovo should be sued for this too.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete