Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G6 / Moto G6 Plus / Moto G6 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

09-08-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 1 of 4

nervous to install security update

2018-09-08, 15:07 PM

I owned a Moto G4 Play for a couple years.  I did not have any problems with it for a while. I began to notice that the GPS was constantly looking for signal in google maps. After many frustrating hours of troubleshooting and help from reading this forum, I discovered the issue to be a software/security update which once installed caused the issue.  

I bought a new Moto G6 2 weeks ago and it works absolutely flawlessly.  GPS works 100% of the time. I am delivery driver and I depend on the GPS to do my job...

I am now being told multiple times per day to update my moto G6 to the July 2018 security update.

I am uneasy about doing this considering what happened before. Since the update cannot be undone once installed.

1. If I install the update and then it does result in a issue, will doing a factory restore undo the update?

2. If I install the update and the GPS goes flaky what recourse will I have to get it back working again.  

It seems like agents on this forum post alot of trouble shooting but dont often actually solve problems no offence.

I am just trying to maintain the performance on my device that I have now but have all security updates in place.  

Thanks

Options

41 Posts

09-03-2018

United States of America

85 Signins

1015 Page Views

• Views: 1015
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: nervous to install security update

2018-09-08, 18:06 PM

1. You cannot uninstall previous security updates, unless the phone is later rooted and can be replaced by an earlier copy of a stock or custom ROM.

2. Perhaps it's just your particular device. My G6's GPS is not flaky at all. It's one of the fastest acting I've seen in an Android device... just as good, or better than many more expensive devices.

3. I'm getting a modest improvement in battery life without engaging on the battery saver, after I applied the security update. I've improved upon that by delegating some social media functions to the Chrome browser, instead of using their apps.

It's up to you, but I recommend installing it, especially if you don't plan on getting rid of, or selling the phone soon.

Options

3 Posts

09-08-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 3 of 4

2018-09-08, 22:23 PM

currently my G6 is performing perfectly. 

That was also the case with my G4 which went to crap after a motorola security update.

I just dont want that to happen to my G6.

It SUCKS that there is no way to roll back an update.  

Options

62 Posts

06-15-2018

India

72 Signins

547 Page Views

• Views: 547
  • Message 4 of 4

2018-09-09, 5:55 AM

My software channel is RETIN [Indian]

GPS works fine

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms