Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
randomuser8841
Paper Tape
Views: 233
Message 1 of 8

Android 9 Missing Notification Settings

I am using a Motorola Moto G6. It had Android 8 when I received it. I was able to set Custom Notification Sounds on an individual App basis within Settings. E.g., Gmail made a custom notification sound, my security camera app made a different sound, Messages made its own sound, etc. I updated to Android 9 a few weeks ago and since then I am no longer able to set a custom notification sound for an app. Every app now has the same Default Notification Sound. I talked to Motorola Upper Level Tech Support and they stated that this feature has been removed on a Google Android level. I also talked to a Google phone rep and he was confused as to why this setting wasn't available as he was still able to do it on his personal phone running Android 8. I cannot find any mention to this change on developer.android.com Android 9 features and APIs nor Behavior changes: all apps. I would REALLY like to know why this setting was removed as I view it as a step backwards in functionality.

jdi000
Punch Card
Views: 212
Message 2 of 8

Re: Android 9 Missing Notification Settings

Hello

You can still set custom notification sounds for example messages and gmail, its just one screen deeper as you need to click on the notification item itself to get another screen with behavior and then sound and vibration settings.

for example Gmail: settings -> apps pick gmail app tap  notification then tap mail then you will have another screen to set this.

Regards

Jason

randomuser8841
Paper Tape
Views: 198
Message 3 of 8

Messages and Gmail are the only two apps that I can find where unique sounds can be set. In order to set unique sounds for Messages and Gmail, you must (find) the setting within the app itself. You CANNOT set this up in System Settings.

To set a unique sound for Gmail you have to open the App -- Settings -- (Select a specific account, NOT General Settings) -- Manage Notifications (This takes you to Notification Category) -- Advanced -- Sound

For all other apps, setting a unique sound is NOT in the usual Settings -- Notifications -- Advanced location as Android 8. The option is NOT there.

As I dig deeper, I believe this has something to do with the way Android 9 handles NotificationChannels on a developer level. The tip off came from discovering the Notification Category setting deep in Gmail.

Thanks for the input. I wanted to help clarify what the issue is and that the solution you described is no longer valid in Android 9.

Dude777
HDMI
Views: 190
Message 4 of 8

It's app specific, always has been. Gmail, Messages and Android is all Google so it's accessible directly via settings.

~us retail g6~no lifeguard on duty
randomuser8841
Paper Tape
Views: 187
Message 5 of 8

Its no longer that way in Android 9.

randomuser8841
Paper Tape
Views: 180
Message 6 of 8

This is definitely an Android Notification Channels thing... still digging...

https://www.androidcentral.com/notification-channels

randomuser8841
Paper Tape
Views: 164
Message 7 of 8

How to access Notification Channels (unique notification sounds) Android 9

Settings>Apps & Notifications>(Pick an App)>Notifications>(Slide Toggle to activate "Show Notifications")>(A list of options with check boxes should appear)>(Click the words to the left of the check box... THIS is the MAGIC KEY to access the Notification Category settings!)

From there make sure Behavior>Make Sound is selected, then Sound>(choose your unique sound!!)

DUMBEST UX/UI change EVER Google!! I hope the engineers responsible for this change get locked in a room full of angry skunks and racoons!!

Dude777
HDMI
Views: 156
Message 8 of 8

Re: How to access Notification Channels (unique notification sounds) Android 9

Yeah, it's there, no doubt.

~us retail g6~no lifeguard on duty
Top Kudoed Authors