Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thefjordkeeper
Paper Tape
Views: 1,693
Message 1 of 6

Black Screen

This evening, the G6 that I have owned since Monday suddenly had an only black screen. The phone still makes lock/unlock sounds, shake to enable to flashlight still works, and it operates normally in fastboot and recovery.

In recovery, I looked through the logs and found this gem:

Failed to set brightness: Permission denied

It seems that, somehow, Android dorked itself. I can't restore it as my bootloader is locked.

I guess this phone is going back to the big box store for an exchange tomorrow...

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,667
Message 2 of 6

Re: Black Screen

Hi thefjordkeeper,

Sorry to hear this, this is strange--Just to narrow down, have you tried charging the device when the power of the device is drained completely? Let us know if that makes any changes? 

Request you to share us the log files, we would like to take a look before you send for service/exchange or replacement. Also, please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? Is it okay if we look into your apps to determine what is causing the issue? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled. This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

kemoti
802.11n
Views: 1,653
Message 3 of 6

@thefjordkeeper

Make a Factory Reset:

1. Power off the phone

2. Press and hold volume-and power button

3. Select RECOVERY MODE and press power button

4. When the screen with the broken robot appears, press and hold the power button and quickly press and release the volume +

5. Select "Wipe data/factory reset" and press power button

This should restore all application permissions to the original state, however, it will erase all data from the phone and you will have to configure the phone as new.

thefjordkeeper
Paper Tape
Views: 1,648
Message 4 of 6

I have not completely drained the phone and charged it from that state.

I can tell you the app that caused the bug, it was Capital One (bank). I attempted to make a mobile deposit for the first time and that's what started the screen issues.

I cannot enable Motorola Privacy since I cannot access Android on this phone.

I will be replacing this device via retailer exchange this morning.

thefjordkeeper
Paper Tape
Views: 1,646
Message 5 of 6

I have done the "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" half a dozen times with no changes.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,595
Message 6 of 6

@thefjordkeeper wrote:
I have done the "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" half a dozen times with no changes.

Hi thefjordkeeper,

If you did a factory data reset and tested without restoring any apps, and the problem persists, the service/repair/replace is next step. 

Regards,
Swaraj

Moto Support

Top Kudoed Authors