Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
haygirl
Paper Tape
Views: 186
Message 1 of 4

Can I make my Moto G6 use the 2.4g wifi band

My problem is that I have a google mesh wifi which carries 2.4G and 5G simultaneously which allows each device to independently determine which is the better option for it.  That is all well and good when I want to use wifi on the phone, but doesn't work when I need my phone to communicate with smart devices that are on the 2.4 band -- such as a security camera and a smart outlet.  So for the times when I want to communicate to my smart (but bandwidth-challenged) devices, can I temporarily force my Moto G6 to the 2.4 band?  Is my only option to try to see if I can find that special spot that is outside the 5g band but still inside the 2.4 band (like outside the home)?  Has anyone solved this issue?  I am not sure how I can set up my camera initially since I have to physically pair the two devices and the camera will be on 2.4G and the phone on 5G.  Do I wait and buy new cameras and new smart outlets that can work on 5G?  <sigh>  any suggestions welcome.

KarlBeckman
802.11n
Views: 164
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can I make my Moto G6 use the 2.4g wifi band

A properly implemented multi-band Wi-Fi router will relay communications between your devices on 2.4 GHz to the phones on the 5 GHz bands. It will also pass information from each WiFi band to the wired ethernet LAN ports and out to the internet (WAN).  IPv4 addresses of all devices should be assigned by the router's DHCP so that all reside on the same LAN. 

haygirl
Paper Tape
Views: 141
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your reply.  I believe I am not techy enough to fully understand.  I think my router is properly implemented -- but I am not sure exactly what you mean by that.  And yes, all my ip addresses are assigned by the router's DHCP and all reside on the same LAN.  I did not have to set up any bands -- the google wifi mesh system has, in essence, a single band that carries both bandwidths and devices can use whichever one works better.  (As I said, I am not techy so I may be mangling this description -- but my old router listed the 2.4 and 5G connection bands separately so I could choose for each device which one to use as they popped up as two choices instead of the single choice under the Google WIFI mesh).  My problem is setting up my camera -- I have to physicallty have my phone and the camera on the same bandwidth to communicate  (specifically for the camera to directly read the QR code on the phone) and to do this correctly both must be the 2.4G bandwidth.  After setup it may be possible for them to communicate on the different bandwidths but not during setup;  I just can't get that far!!  Smiley Happy

haygirl
Paper Tape
Views: 49
Message 4 of 4

I have "solved" my problem by selling my old 2.4G camera and buying a new 5G camera. I have found no way to force my Moto G6 to choose the 2.4 bandwidth.
Top Kudoed Authors