Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DL13
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,226
Message 1 of 20

Consumer Cellular: MOTO G6 only 3G HSPA+ on ATT

Just started using my MOTO G6 on Consumer Cellular with ATT SIM and cannot get 4G LTE.  So far their tech support cannot figure out why. Any suggestions appreciated.

Highlighted
DL13
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,172
Message 2 of 20

Re: Consumer Cellular: MOTO G6 only 3G HSPA+ on ATT

Well, this post can now be closed. Did another support chat and the Motorola agent, after directing me to use a diagnostic tool (useless) and asking me to send in the phone to see if it was defective (worked fine on Verizon for two weeks), she then referred me to the Motorola phone compatibility chart.  Upon close inpsection I saw something I never noticed before...two types of checkmarks.  Solid for tested and compatible and a checkmark outline only, showing compatible "but not all features may work." 

You guessed it, Verizon and TMobile dark solid checkmarks, Consumers Cellular and ATT the latter.  I wish I had noticed this a week ago before going through the hassle.

Mark this post: MOTO G6 will not be fully compatible with ATT or Consumer Cellular with ATT SIM.  You can classify this as "Solved". 

daffyducknj
SCSI Port
Views: 2,134
Message 3 of 20

That's strange. I get LTE speeds via at&t prepaid. Consumer Cellular probably isn't allowed, or contracted to use at&t towers at LTE speeds, then. I've noticed that's the problem with using some third party carriers sometimes... sure, you pay less, but then you might not get the speed you expect for a plan.

DL13
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,128
Message 4 of 20

I believe CC uses ATT towers and access LTE - but not on the G6. As stated in my post, in my opinion, this is soley a Motorola issue.  Its own compatability chart shows this. That is, unless you saying you use a G6 on a ATT prepaid card and get LTE.

daffyducknj
SCSI Port
Views: 2,113
Message 5 of 20

That's exactly what I'm saying. I wasn't being ambiguous with my answer. Smiley Happy

daffyducknj
SCSI Port
Views: 2,111
Message 6 of 20

I got this speed a few minutes ago. I can get much faster speeds, but on average for me I get 15-25 Mbps most days. It's possible to go up to 30 or 40 Mbps, but I don't work a graveyard shift... at that point, my phone's on WiFi anyway.

DL13
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,078
Message 7 of 20

Okay, restated, The Moto G6 is not fully compaible with Consumer Cellualr with an ATT SIM; with TMobile it is.

Tuckerdog
Paper Tape
Views: 1,925
Message 8 of 20

So, if I want to use the Moto g6 unlocked on the ATT grid, I need to go with Cricket or someone other than Consumer cellular? This is all so annoying. It is so tiresome to learn the asterisks and footnotes after purchase. And ... how about with the Consumer Cellular SIM vs an ATT SIM?

Tuckerdog
Paper Tape
Views: 1,923
Message 9 of 20

Will it be fully compatible with the Consumer Cellular SIM?
DL13
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,920
Message 10 of 20

In my experience the Moto G6 is NOT fully compatible with the Consumer Cellular SIM chip for ATT. It appears to be fully compatible with the TMobile Consumer Cellular chip. Note that customer service from CC was excellent, and I can see why they win the JD Powers award every year. Note, if you look at their website, they no longer sell any Motorola phones, and heavily concentrate on iPhones for all of the fan boys and girls out there and, for Android, Samsung.

Man, was I wrong when I thought Lenovo would change the Mortorola of old.  They contine the tradition of great hardware for phones and then lag on the software. yes, I too am disappointed with Motorola resorting to the almighty "*" and being half hearted on their efforts for a truly univeral unlocked phone.  

Back on Big Red (who split the activation fee by the way) and enjoying the best network coverage in the market.  I told CC I would be back in a heartbeat if they get Verizon on board anytime in the future. For now, its worth the price difference to me, and the G6 works great on it.

BTW, Motorola moderators, care to chime in with some obseravtions, comments etc?

Top Kudoed Authors