Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RianneM
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,756
Message 1 of 27

G6+ Andr 9 Dolby App horrible and sound much too loud

I'm absolutely horrified. After the Pie update on my Moto g6 plus the Dolby app went from a highly customizable EQ to a sham that only gives 2,5 option, no possibility to manually change the EQ, AND NO WAY TO TURN IT OFF.

On the lowest volume it is still ear shattering and the volume leveler makes it impossible to listen to spoken word because the volume modulates wildly (this problem was already present in the old app but at least there the volume leveler could be disabled).

Please please bring back the old app asap, I can hardly use the phone on speaker anymore and not at all for audiobooks - something I use to fall asleep every night so thank you for ruining my sleep!

Or tell me how to disable it, because simply disabling it in the setting>apps menu does nothing (not even after restart).

Really, what on earth possesed you to cripple a very good app (and my phone) like this??

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,699
Message 2 of 27

Re: G6+ Andr 9 Dolby App horrible and sound much too loud

Hi RianneM,

Sorry about the bad experience, appreciate your feedback, we will pass it along to our product team for further lookups.

Edited: Could you also share us a sample video showing what you see when you change the options provided. We would like to take a look.

Thanks,

Swaraj

Moto Support

Peter8203
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,666
Message 3 of 27

The problem is that you don't have any options too turn off Dolby. You can only chose between three options. We would like to turn it off, totally. When I listening to audiobooks the speech is to laud and it's difficult to hear what is spoken.

In this update we are forced to use a bad setting.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,634
Message 4 of 27

@Peter8203 wrote:

The problem is that you don't have any options too turn off Dolby. You can only chose between three options. We would like to turn it off, totally. When I listening to audiobooks the speech is to laud and it's difficult to hear what is spoken.

In this update we are forced to use a bad setting.

Thanks, we will pass along the feedback to our product team on this. In the meantime, may I know when you disable the app—what happens? Does it still impact on the 'Audio Books' you play?

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

RianneM
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,624
Message 5 of 27

Hi Swaraj,

Original poster here. I included some screenshots for more information. The first, labeled 'dolby 1' came from the internet: it's what the app looked like before the update. Note how there are many many options here, along with a completely customisable EQ, and a 'volume leveler' slide. 

Second pic (dolby 2) is a screenshot of the app as it appears after the update. Note how there are just 3 settings left - nothing is customisable whatsoever. It also says 'dolby audio is always on for loudspeaker playback'. I included a third pic (dolby 2.2) of the notification message I get when I tap the 'dolby smart audio' icon in the icon/notification tray (dolby 2.3 for clarification).

On your second question: the app can't be disabled. Either you get the notification message screenshotted below ('dolby audio is always on for loudspeaker playback'), or, even when the app is forcefully stopped via the settings>apps way, it is still on. I know because the volume modulations due to the volume leveler were still present. These modulations were not present when I switched off the Dolby app in Android 8.

I have, by now, installed a third party app with EQ slides to dampen the volume. The volume of the phone is not the problem: it will definitely go down to a whisper with this third party app. The problem is in the software.

edit: if this is going to end up at the product team anyway: please tell them that the range of the volume slider (i.e. the softest setting to the loudest setting when using the volume buttons) was too narrow to begin with. Meaning, the lowest volume was too loud and there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the lowest and highest volume settings.

However, this was remedied by the Android 8 dolby app, because the EQ sliders allowed you to lower the volume another 3dB (or boost, if you were so inclined). With the new Dolby app, the volume is permanently stuck in this really narrow dynamic range. 

dolby 1.pngDolby 1dolby 2.pngDolby 2dolby 2.2.pngDolby 2.2dolby 2.3.pngDolby 2.3

ArcherAC3
What's DOS?
Views: 1,538
Message 6 of 27

I'm having the same problem. I used to watch Netflix/YouTube in bed through the speaker (since using headphones was a bit uncomfortable with the pillow) and lower the volume through the old 8.0 App. Now it's way too loud even at minimum and the app doesn't let me lower the volume unless I plug the headphones.

This makes no sense at all, they pretty much downgraded a fully functional app. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

motohope
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,339
Message 7 of 27

I have the same complaint with the G6 (not plus). I also use the phone without earphones at night and at its lowest volume it is too loud. Like the others in this post, in OREO, I corrected it by either turning off doby or using the equalizer to damp down all the frequencies to make it quieter. With the new PIE release I now have lost both options. This now makes my phone useless once my wife has decided to go to sleep since using it can disturb her from two rooms away and two closed doors. 

Please restore the dolby apps equalizer so those who wish can tune the volume of their phones. I've tried many of the app store equalizers and I cannot find any which can "consistantly" (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't) dampen the volume of the phone. 

Harish124
What's DOS?
Views: 1,102
Message 8 of 27

Please bring back the old Dolby atom, after the Pie update the sound is bearly audible. Already the phone has nothing and you are now taking that only and only good sounding character of the phone.

Nicola-
Serial Port
Views: 975
Message 9 of 27

There is also another problem: the audio (from the loudspeaker, with every kind of source: Netflix, Youtube, Spotify, mp3s, ...) is crackling when at max volume, while before the update it was working very well!

Mauro88
Paper Tape
Views: 846
Message 10 of 27

I am also confronting exactly the same issue. This is now so irritating that I am deciding to move away from Lenovo/motorola Cellphones. Please provide us a solution. regards

Top Kudoed Authors