Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b1000
Fanfold Paper
Views: 785
Message 91 of 250

Re: G6 Plus GPS not working

@Internetpilot wrote:

I own a Moto G5S Plus and go through week long periods of having this exact issue.  

Thanks for the tips! I will give them a try. I’m currently recording routes on my G6 plus and my faithful old Moto G (2013) which doesn’t suffer from this problem!

Yesterday I recorded a route on Strava, and there were only a couple of short jumps on the G6 plus. It’s still not quite right though (the old Moto G recording in my other pocket was perfect). I’m not sure what caused this but I’ll try again today 

Gerd54
Punch Card
Views: 775
Message 92 of 250

The problem with GPS is furthermore existing

Hello together,

one week before I installed the last Motorola update. After the update the problem with GPS is still existing:

After newstart or to switch on the G6 plus GPS is locked regardless of wether the button in the location setting is on accuracy or device only.

Only after location setting to "no GPS" and then change to accuracy or device only GPS is working

(Described of myself as workaround 2 weeks before here in this thread).

When I read here some User to note GPS is working sometimes and sometimes not I can believe only that the navtgation signal came from WLAN or mobile data sporadic.

When you want to see if GPS is working or not I recommand to use urgently special Apps like GPS Test, GPS Reset or GPS Status before you assess whether GPS is working or not.

b1000
Fanfold Paper
Views: 682
Message 93 of 250

I tried posting some more info about my problem in this thread but the post was rejected. I have no idea why. I'm happy to post again or send the information privately instead.

Geoffllo
SCSI Port
Views: 670
Message 94 of 250

I spoke too soon!!

My GPS was on the wrong setting on this morning's bootup!

Swaraj, what's happening??

Geoff

Gerd54
Punch Card
Views: 646
Message 95 of 250

b1000:

To first you have to check wether you have  GPS signals on your phone or not!

Use Apps like GPS Test, GPS Reset or GPS Status. You must be sure that you have GPS permanent on your phone..

Geoffllo
SCSI Port
Views: 642
Message 96 of 250

I'm sorry, but we shouldn't have to do that Gerd54.

Lenovo should have fixed it long since!!

Geoff.
Gerd54
Punch Card
Views: 639
Message 97 of 250

You are right!

But b1000 can not be sure that he have the same problem like us. To first he must be sure that he haven't maybe always no GPS.

b1000
Fanfold Paper
Views: 635
Message 98 of 250

@Gerd54 wrote:

You are right!

But b1000 can not be sure that he have the same problem like us. To first he must be sure that he haven't maybe always no GPS.

As I wrote, but it unfortunately it was deleted by the moderator (!), I do get a good GPS lock. My problem is that the phone either sometimes stops recording when the screen is switched off, or it loses GPS lock when the screen is switched off (it’s hard to tell which).

I tried a few things today. The phone recorded a beautiful, completely accurate trail when I switched off battery optimisation for Strava and put it in the “do not show” list of apps in the “Moto” app. When I removed it from the “do not show” list, I got gaps in the recording again. When I added it again, I did not get gaps but the recording was not very accurate (maybe just bad luck). I will keep experimenting. 

b1000
Fanfold Paper
Views: 625
Message 99 of 250

@b1000 wrote:

I will keep experimenting. 

I did. And the results are bad. :-( With battery optimisation turned off for Strava (in settings->battery->battery optimisation->all apps->Strava->don't optimise) and Strava in the "do not show" list in the Moto Suggestions app, I recorded a bike ride of approx 38km, about 1h30. The first 23 minutes recorded perfectly, with excellent accuracy. There are then gaps in the recording which get longer and longer, until the last 20 minutes where almost nothing is recorded.

I have recorded this and other routes 100+ times over the last couple of years, using three different Motorola phones, and carrying them in the same pocket. I have never had a route not properly recorded before, so I am confident it should work.

As I wrote before, I also see the same problem with other route tracking apps, and the problem only appeared after I had had the G6 plus for around one month.

I am happy to try any other suggestions to fix this, and I can provide GPX files to Motorola if that will help debugging. I really prefer not to return the phone or perform a factory reset, but I guess I will have to sooner or later.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 583
Message 100 of 250

@Hurt wrote:

@Agent_Swaraj

Sorry about the confusion, the improvements will be in regards to 'GPS'. Unfortunately, we do not know the time frame. Would request you to wait, but if this is really troubling your daily use then would request you to go with exchange/service/replacement as the next option.

Thanks,

Swaraj

Thanks for the clarification!

Well, it does not affect my daily use (only my weekly use), but when I get into my car, put the phone into the cradle, then I don't want to wait 5 to 10 minutes until I know in which directions I should drive (had this with my old Moto G 3rd gen).

And if we take mobile games that rely on GPS (like Ingress, Jurassic World Alive or Pokemon Go) into account - then yes, you could say that it affects daily use, because without the workaround, also the ingame GPS location updates are very delayed :-/

Great, thanks!

Appreciate your information, could you share us a bug report when you launch your GPS and you see latency. We want to look further into this, if you can update your profile with the IMEI of your device, this can help us investigate and see what's causing the disconnect. Kindly send a bug report regarding this. Bug report will collect information about your current device state.

Here's how:
Note: Capture the report right after the issue happened.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps, Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging > Toggle On
6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
8. Then upload the Bug Report to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply or via a private message.
9. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Let us know if you have further questions?

Thanks,

Swaraj

Moto Support

Top Kudoed Authors