Did you mean: 
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,563
Message 81 of 250

Re: G6 Plus GPS not working

@Geoffllo wrote:

Hi Swaraj

I'm pleased to say that I too no longer have the problem with the GPS, although it wasn't yesterday's Motorola update that fixed it, as it had gone for a while before that update. 

One day, I stopped getting the bootup message from Google (as per image sent to you) and that day the GPS worked perfectly.

Thanks again for your interest.

Regards, Geoff.

Great, thanks!

Glad to see the progress! Appreciate your feedback. 

Regards,

Swaraj

b1000
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,541
Message 82 of 250

Hi, I am also having GPS problems with my Motorola G6 plus.

I bought the phone one month ago, and GPS worked well until this week. Now, I have a problem when I use an app which continues to use the GPS when the screen is switched off - I have tried Strava and "Geo Tracker" from the Google Play store. The app starts recording my route correctly, but it will often stop tracking when the screen is switched off. When I switch the screen on again, the GPS lock is re-acquired and the app starts recording again.

I tried switching off "battery optimisation" for Strava but that didn't help. Strava is also not listed "Moto" power optimisation app. I have upgraded to the latest device firmware, which did not solve the problem. I am using the latest versions of both apps. I do not have problems on my old Moto G (2013 model) when using the same apps. It does not happen 100% of the time, and sometimes my route is correctly recorded for a while. The problem did not happen when I first got the phone, and I was able to record routes of 10+ hours without problems.

Are there any suggestions for how to fix this?

The screenshot below shows a route recorded with a large gap (in grey), which begins soon after I switched off the screen, and ends when I unlock the phone using the fingerprint sensor.

Screenshot_20180719-180045.png

Hurt
Punch Card
Views: 1,509
Message 83 of 250

Well, "GPS not working" was one of the main reasons why I wanted to get rid of my old Moto G (3rd gen).

On my old device it started to fail (most of the time) a many months ago (had to wait for minutes for correct location, moving around on map, delayed GPS location updates, etc) - with one word: annoying. And the second annoying issue was the "ghost touch" issue, which was also never fixed by Lenovo.

With my G6 (the 64GB version from Amazon), the "ghost touch" issue is gone, but I still have the GPS issue, which is really ridiculous when you think about how many months/years (between the Moto G 3rd gen and the G6) they had time to fix this issue.

Trying the workaround now and it seems to work, but for how long? If I have to do this more than once a day I think I will send back the device (just got it this week).

@Lenovo: Is there also an update planned for the G6?

At the moment I have:

Model: Moto G6 (XT1925-5)

Android version: 8.0.0

Android security patch level: 1 March 2018

Build number: OPS27.82-41

Kernel version: 3.18.71-perf-g5318530-00003-g92b5a46hudsoncm@ilclbld28 #1 Sat Mar 24 01:37:45 CDT 2018

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,492
Message 84 of 250

@b1000 wrote:

Hi, I am also having GPS problems with my Motorola G6 plus.

I bought the phone one month ago, and GPS worked well until this week. Now, I have a problem when I use an app which continues to use the GPS when the screen is switched off - I have tried Strava and "Geo Tracker" from the Google Play store. The app starts recording my route correctly, but it will often stop tracking when the screen is switched off. When I switch the screen on again, the GPS lock is re-acquired and the app starts recording again.

I tried switching off "battery optimisation" for Strava but that didn't help. Strava is also not listed "Moto" power optimisation app. I have upgraded to the latest device firmware, which did not solve the problem. I am using the latest versions of both apps. I do not have problems on my old Moto G (2013 model) when using the same apps. It does not happen 100% of the time, and sometimes my route is correctly recorded for a while. The problem did not happen when I first got the phone, and I was able to record routes of 10+ hours without problems.

Are there any suggestions for how to fix this?

The screenshot below shows a route recorded with a large gap (in grey), which begins soon after I switched off the screen, and ends when I unlock the phone using the fingerprint sensor.

Hi b1000,

Sorry about the issue, could you confirm if you have set the device settings ad"-- Settings > Network & Internet > Wifi > Wifi preferences > Keep wifi on while sleeping and reboot your device. Please let us know how it goes.

Also, please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? Is it okay if we look into your apps? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,
Swaraj

Moto Support

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,489
Message 85 of 250

@Hurt

"Trying the workaround now and it seems to work, but for how long? 

@Lenovo: Is there also an update planned for the G6?

Hi Hurt,

Thank you for replying and trying the workaround. Yes! we will have improvements in a future update. 

Regards,
Swaraj

Moto Support

Hurt
Punch Card
Views: 1,482
Message 86 of 250

Hi and thanks for your reply!

Thank you for replying and trying the workaround. Yes! we will have improvements in a future update. 

Regards,
Swaraj

Moto Support

Do you already know how long this can take? I have to decide if I want to send back the device.

And do you mean improvements/bugfixes regarding the GPS issue? Or just general improvements?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Michael

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,476
Message 87 of 250

@Hurt wrote:

Hi and thanks for your reply!

Regards,
Swaraj

Moto Support

Do you already know how long this can take? I have to decide if I want to send back the device.

And do you mean improvements/bugfixes regarding the GPS issue? Or just general improvements?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Michael

Sorry about the confusion, the improvements will be in regards to 'GPS'. Unfortunately, we do not know the time frame. Would request you to wait, but if this is really troubling your daily use then would request you to go with exchange/service/replacement as the next option.

Thanks,

Swaraj

Hurt
Punch Card
Views: 1,468
Message 88 of 250

@Agent_Swaraj

Sorry about the confusion, the improvements will be in regards to 'GPS'. Unfortunately, we do not know the time frame. Would request you to wait, but if this is really troubling your daily use then would request you to go with exchange/service/replacement as the next option.

Thanks,

Swaraj

Thanks for the clarification!

Well, it does not affect my daily use (only my weekly use), but when I get into my car, put the phone into the cradle, then I don't want to wait 5 to 10 minutes until I know in which directions I should drive (had this with my old Moto G 3rd gen).

And if we take mobile games that rely on GPS (like Ingress, Jurassic World Alive or Pokemon Go) into account - then yes, you could say that it affects daily use, because without the workaround, also the ingame GPS location updates are very delayed :-/

b1000
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,456
Message 89 of 250

Thanks for your reply!

@Agent_Swaraj wrote:

Hi b1000,

Sorry about the issue, could you confirm if you have set the device settings ad"-- Settings > Network & Internet > Wifi > Wifi preferences > Keep wifi on while sleeping and reboot your device. Please let us know how it goes.

Also, please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? Is it okay if we look into your apps? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,
Swaraj

Moto Support

I checked the wifi preferences, and it was already set to "always" for "keep wifi on during sleep". I rebooted the phone anyway.

I have added my phone's IMEI to my profile. Yes, it's OK for you to look into my apps for the purposes of investigating this problem. Do I need to do anything specifically to enable this?

BTW, apart from this problem, the G6 plus is great!

Internetpilot
HDMI
Views: 1,430
Message 90 of 250

I own a Moto G5S Plus and go through week long periods of having this exact issue.  The only thing that changes during these time periods is Google Maps is updated.  I highly suspect the problem is Google Maps and whatever installs with Maps was hosing the GPS for all apps that use location.  You can check this by uninstalling Google Maps (I believe it comes on your stock ROM, so it's only going to uninstall the updates), and see if it works.  You can also try adding and removing yourself from the Google Maps Beta Testing program, which will give you the very latest version of the app (or if that's the version that's not working, then you can return to the non-Beta version).  I've determined that's what is going on with my phone, and I'm almost always able to resolve it.    

I've also had a lot of luck getting things going again using the GPS Status & Toolbox app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus).  This app has been around for a VERY long time and can help troubleshoot your GPS hardware, see how many satellites you're seeing, refreshing AGPS data, etc.  

Hope this helps.  I'm about to buy my son a G6, so I'm hoping if I encounter this same problem that I can resolve it (at least temporarily) how I have with my G5S Plus.  

Top Kudoed Authors