Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt784
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,015
Message 1 of 13

G6 can't set contact ringtone

I have a brand new g6 just took it out of the box, put all the updates on it (current build opss27.104-92-2) imported contact and apps from a g4 via Google account. And I can't set individual ringtones (from stock) I that the 3 dots on the contact and tap set ringtone, and select from the stock list tap ok, but the default ringtone played when the contact is called. However setting the default ringtone in settings works as it should. I need help.

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,983
Message 2 of 13

Re: G6 can't set contact ringtone

Try Settings/Apps and contacts app and disable/Uninstall and see if it let you revert to the Factory version of the app and see if that cures it.Sometimes app auto-updates don;t take correctly.

If no good try these Motorola mp3 ringtones,

https://devfiles.co/download/3JhZftH7/Moto-G6-Play-Stock-Ringtones.zip

HTH Smiley Happy

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 7,951
Message 3 of 13

@Matt784 wrote:

I have a brand new g6 just took it out of the box, put all the updates on it (current build opss27.104-92-2) imported contact and apps from a g4 via Google account. And I can't set individual ringtones (from stock) I that the 3 dots on the contact and tap set ringtone, and select from the stock list tap ok, but the default ringtone played when the contact is called. However setting the default ringtone in settings works as it should. I need help.

Hi Matt784,

Welcome to Forums,

We request you to find the below steps & let us know.

1. Copy the required ringtone from "File Manager" folder.

2. Tap on the "Local" tab which is in the same "File Manager folder".

3. Local>>Internal storage>>paste the ringtone in a "Ringtones" folder.

4. Then go to (Required contact) Contact>>3 vertical dots>>Set ringtone> Ok.

Let us know how does it work?

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support

Matt784
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,923
Message 4 of 13

hi nikh, thanks for your help,

I found the app\folder "files" it's the stock file viewer, assuming "Moto g6" is internal ( picture included) I can't find any of the stock ringtones in any folder (no matter anyway, forget about it) now I'm going with an MP3 ringtone file. I found the file and moved it to Moto g6>ringtones folder that was previously empty.  Then followed step 4 to set the ringtone. and the default ringtone still plays. I followed the same process on another phone ( Samsung s9 Android 8.0.0) using the same file and it worked. So the file isn't corrupted.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 7,902
Message 5 of 13

Hi Matt784,

Thanks for trying provided checkpoints.

Request you to confirm with the below checkpoints.

1. Are you able to see any .MP3 formats in the "Audio" folder which is at Files? 

2. Please check is there any .MP3 formats in Google Play Music.

3. Share a few music files via Bluetooth and check.

4. Are you able to see "Add ringtone" option in Ringtones? ( Please find the below picture for the reference)

ringtone.png

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support

Matt784
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,886
Message 6 of 13

Hi Nikh,

There is no"Audio" folder, (img attached) I checked the "music" folder and it is empty

2. Yes, the .MP3 file appears in Google play and plays.

3 they appear in the "Bluetooth" folder as well as in Google play and play.

4 yes, when I tap on "add ringtone" the folder "ringtones" opens with the .MP3 ringtone file in it. When I tap the file is is  duplicated in the folder as well as appearing on the list of ringtones. I select it>ok. The default ringtone still plays. The same happens when I set the other .MP3 files as well.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 7,867
Message 7 of 13

So what you're seeing on your phone isn't that you can't set the ringtone, it's that the system default ringtone is overriding what you have set for the specific contact. Is that correct? Can you advise if you are able to use the stock ringtones or does this only happen with custom tones you put on the phone (mp3 files)? For example, the system default ringtone is set to Moto and you set the specific contact to Morning. Does the Morning ringtone play when a call comes in? 

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Matt784
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,854
Message 8 of 13

Hi Tom,

Correct, if the system default ringtone is Moto or any other ringtone including the custom mp3. it override any contact ringtone I set be it  stock or mp3. The system default plays regardless.

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,846
Message 9 of 13

Did you take my advice and remove the contact app so it reverts to the Factory version?

Also try a different version/one and see if that works as it should,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.contacts&hl=en_GB

Matt784
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,832
Message 10 of 13

Porphyrius thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately tjey didn't work.

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors