Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
eldiener
Paper Tape
Views: 199
Message 1 of 12

Google assistant not responding to voice

I have the latest Android installed for my Moto g6 and the latest apps. The main screen shows the Google app, the text 'Say "Hey Google"' and a microphone icon. If I say "Hey Google", no matter how many times or how loud, nothing happens. If I press the microphone icon I get the message "Listening..." and whatever I now say it is correctly picked up and responed to both by voice and by display. How do I get my phone to respond to my saying "Hey Google" as is suggested, in order to get Google assistant to help me, without my having to press the microphone icon ?

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 166
Message 2 of 12

Re: Google assistant not responding to voice

There are a couple of eays to get to where you need to check that it's enabled,

1. Navigate to Settings
  2. Tap the General tab
  3. Under "Personal" find "Language and Input"
  4. Find "Google voice typing" and tap the Settings button (cog icon)
  5. Tap "Ok Google" Detection
  6. Under the "From the Google app" option

In case you can’t find the settings, there is another way:

1. Open the Google app
  2. In the top left corner of the page, touch the Menu icon
  3. Tap Settings > Voice > "OK Google" Detection
  4. From here, you can choose when you want your phone to listen when you say "OK Google".

eldiener
Paper Tape
Views: 151
Message 3 of 12

There is no "General" tab in the moto g6 Settings. There is no "Ok Google" detection under Google -> Settings .> Voice. Are you sure you are talking about the moto g6 and not some other cell phone ?

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 147
Message 4 of 12

@eldiener wrote:

There is no "General" tab in the moto g6 Settings. There is no "Ok Google" detection under Google -> Settings .> Voice. Are you sure you are talking about the moto g6 and not some other cell phone ?

Quite possibly but put this into a search engine moto g6 disable voice search and one of the links should help  which should lead to being able enable/disable to see what state it's in.

eldiener
Paper Tape
Views: 145
Message 5 of 12

I specifically asked here because all the stuff I read when I search the Internet for an answer seems to refer to some other phone and not the moto g6 with the latest version of Android installed. Hopefully someone who actually has a moto g6 knows the answer. Thanks for your help !

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 137
Message 6 of 12

@eldiener wrote:

I specifically asked here because all the stuff I read when I search the Internet for an answer seems to refer to some other phone and not the moto g6 with the latest version of Android installed. Hopefully someone who actually has a moto g6 knows the answer. Thanks for your help !

Have you tried the search again using the installed Android version!

eldiener
Paper Tape
Views: 133
Message 7 of 12

@Porphyrius wrote:

@eldiener wrote:

Do you mean specifying the Android version in my search criteria along with the rest of my search ?

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 127
Message 8 of 12

@eldiener wrote:

@Porphyrius wrote:

@eldiener wrote:

Do you mean specifying the Android version in my search criteria along with the rest of my search ?

Yes.Sometimes you will get better results.For instance on my olf Moto G3 I'll serach using Anroid 6.00 or Marshmallow along with what I'm looking for.

Also see if you can install/update Google voice and or assistant,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googleassistant&hl=en_GB

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googlevoice&hl=en_GB

eldiener
Paper Tape
Views: 108
Message 9 of 12

@Porphyrius wrote:

@eldiener wrote:

@Porphyrius wrote:

@eldiener wrote:

Yes.Sometimes you will get better results.For instance on my olf Moto G3 I'll serach using Anroid 6.00 or Marshmallow along with what I'm looking for.

Also see if you can install/update Google voice and or assistant,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googleassistant&hl=en_GB

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googlevoice&hl=en_GB

Installing Google Assistant and Google Voice does nothing to get "Hey Google" to work. I searched with my version of Android, which is 9 or Pie, but still no answers that have anything to do with the actual apps or settings on a moto g6 with Android Pie. It is incredibly strange how most of the searches talk about "Ok Google" rather than "Hey Google" and all the so-called "solutions" are for settings which do not exist at all on my phone. There is a "Voice Match" setting in my Google app but again it refers to "Ok Google" and I can neither "Retrain voice model" or "Delete voice model" as pressing on either does nothing. Maybe the update on the moto g6 to Android 9 removed the ability to trigger Google or Google Assistant through my voice, but if I press the microphone icon in Google and it is "Listening..." it has no problem hearing me correctly and responding. But it certainly looks like "Hey Google" or "Ok Google" is dead on my moto g6. It is still a great phone but why triggering voice response through a "Hey Google" does not work is beyond me.

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 106
Message 10 of 12

I don't know,"Hey Google" only,"Ok Google".

I did find an obscure fix for OK Google that might work.Phone settings>Language and Input and change from your present version of English to another version.Then restart the phone and then Revert back to yours.

Top Kudoed Authors