Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 247
Message 11 of 18

Re: Help with Phone app error after upgrading to Android 9

@Calculus wrote:

Hi, I have a similar, maybe related problem (only just found this support site).

Moto G6 Play.

After the recent 3-4 weeks ago?) software update, the phone app on my MotoG6 Play has become unreliable.

Symptoms include:

• ~10sec delay in hanging up
  • Often (not always) there is no popup so cannot answer call.
  • Often (not always) completed call is  followed by error message 'phone is not responding'
  • Ring is delayed (~5 sec) when receiving call.  

My attempt to solve the problem have been:

• turn the phone off and on again,
  • select 'uninstall updates' on phone settings.

I don't know what else to try. Please help.

Also, the battery life has suddenly halved, but that is more recent than the misbehaviour of the phone app.  

Thank you.

This is odd, sorry to hear about that. Let me try to help you. Let us try to perform clear cache/data on the 'Phone app' and observe under Safe Mode? Let us know how it goes?

To perform clear cache/date >> Locate Settings >> Apps & notification >> All apps >> Search for 'Phone app' >> Storage >> Clear data/Cache > reboot your device.

To go to Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue? Press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up " Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up. Reboot your device to get back to the 'Normal Mode'.

Observe and let us know if you see improvements? Kindly revert back if you have any questions?

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Calculus
Paper Tape
Views: 198
Message 12 of 18

Thank you. Advice received.
Thanks for 'safe mode' instructions. New to me.

Clear cache/Restart appears to have restored phone pop-ups, so I can at least accept phone calls - it will take some days to confirm the battery life.

Cheers,

J.
Calculus
Paper Tape
Views: 183
Message 13 of 18

Thank you . I think it has worked - at least improved, both phone app response and battery life.
JMcMotoG6
Paper Tape
Views: 124
Message 14 of 18

I am having this issue after trying many fixes: clearing data, trying Safe Mode, latest software updates all done. This has been going on for months and Fi support has not solved it. I can't use my phone app! I'm almost ready to get rid of this phone. I can use contacts or messages to call someone whose number I have, but I can't dial and I can't see my recent messages or voicemails... 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 90
Message 15 of 18

@JMcMotoG6 wrote:

I am having this issue after trying many fixes: clearing data, trying Safe Mode, latest software updates all done. This has been going on for months and Fi support has not solved it. I can't use my phone app! I'm almost ready to get rid of this phone. I can use contacts or messages to call someone whose number I have, but I can't dial and I can't see my recent messages or voicemails... 

Sorry to hear about that, go to Settings > Apps & notification > Three dots > All apps > search for 'Phone App' > Storage > Clear data/cache/ Force stop > Force reboot your device by long pressing the power key > go to Settings > Apps and notification > search for the 'Phone App' > Disable the Force stop option and observe. \

Let us know how it goes?

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
JMcMotoG6
Paper Tape
Views: 84
Message 16 of 18

I was able to do all of the steps except "Disable." Force stop is an option in the app, but the Disable button is grayed out and does not respond.

JMcMotoG6
Paper Tape
Views: 64
Message 17 of 18

I should add that the phone app is still crashing whenever I try to launch it.
JMcMotoG6
Paper Tape
Views: 47
Message 18 of 18

No more ideas? I was hoping this might be solved. I think I will return the phone.
Top Kudoed Authors