Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tinnickels
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,604
Message 1 of 19

Hotspot won't turn on after Pie update

I have an int'l unlocked G6 Plus on AT&T. After last night's Pie update, the hotspot won't turn on. The slide switch won't activate. You move it to on and it pops immediately to off again.

Tried resetting the networks, booting in safe mode, even had AT&T resend my access point settings. I've tried both 2.4 and 5Ghz settings. Still no luck. This worked fine under Oreo, and so far I haven't noticed any other issues with the Pie update.

Anybody have a clue what's going on here??

Moto G6 Plus (int'l unlocked on AT&T)
tinnickels
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,539
Message 2 of 19

Re: Hotspot won't turn on after Pie update

Just some additional info... Bluetooth tethering won't turn on either. It behaves the same way. Try to toggle the button and it snaps back to off. However, USB tethering works fine. I've also seen a lot of references to the APN Type settings. AT&T has the type set to "default,mms,supl,fota". They assure me that's correct. ...any help is appreciated.
tinnickels
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,491
Message 3 of 19

More info... looking into the Android log across multiple attempts to activate the WiFi hotspot I consistently see the following entries: 01-24 09:30:47.230 2155 2860 D SoftApMetrics: Entitlemnt Failed0 01-24 09:30:47.235 2155 2860 I ActivityManager: START u0 {act=android.settings.TETHER_PROVISIONING_UI flg=0x10000000 cmp=com.android.settings/.TetherProvisioningActivity (has extras)} from uid 1000 01-24 09:30:47.281 2155 3240 I WifiService: stopSoftAp uid=1000 Since Soft AP is likely being used to create the hotspot, it appears there is an entitlement issue, which is consistent with the behavior I'm seeing. This is not a carrier (AT&T) constraint. It was introduced by the Pie upgrade. How do I convince Pie's Soft AP that I'm entitled to a hotspot??
G6Intl
Paper Tape
Views: 3,424
Message 4 of 19

Any chance you have found a solution?  I have the same problem but have had zero luck fixing it.  

Where can I find the log you posted?  I'll look at mine and see if there is anything different from your log, it may be informative, may not, but worth a look. 

tinnickels
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,421
Message 5 of 19

Unfortunately, no solution yet. You're the first other one confirmed with the same issue, despite posting on several venues. However, I haven't seen any confirmations that anyone's hotspot survived the Pie upgrade on this phone either. I haven't tried a factory reset yet. That's the universal hail Mary, so I guess I'll need to when I have time. Any chance you've tried that? I'm a bit skeptical it'll fix this if it's a permissions problem. It would be useful to see if your logs show the same issue as mine. You can access the logs via adb. Instructions are here: https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Other_Topics/Finding_Logs_for_Android_Troubleshooting
tinnickels
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,403
Message 6 of 19

Update - I bit the bullet and did the factory reset. Tried the hotspot and got the same results. That would seem to implicate the permissions issue identified in the log above.At this point, I'm thinking I'm just screwed unless Moto or Google provide a way out.

Any additional help, suggestions, info, confirmations, etc. would be welcome.

G6Intl
Paper Tape
Views: 3,364
Message 7 of 19

I've been searching every site I can find and no one is talking about this.  I'm surprised AT&T can't help.  There is one more solution but it is way beyond my skill level.  You would have to remove Pie and reinstall Oreo.  I just have no idea how to do it.  

Please see our Moto Owners' Forum Site Rules for more information.  Discussing modding is not allowed on this site.

tinnickels
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,344
Message 8 of 19

I finally got through to L2 Moto support. They are saying the hotspot is carrier enabled and they don't control it. They also said dual-SIM phones are not supported by US carriers and were surprised AT&T even connected the device. So basically no help. Their suggestion was that I return it and get a carrier locked phone.

Please keep in mind that if you opt to flash back to Oreo, you need a G6 Plus specific factory image. You can't use the Pixel image in the link you posted. I'm also wondering if there exists a US version of a G6 Plus Pie image. If so, it might be worth trying to flash that and see if it behaved better. I may look at that over the weekend.

Hockey216
What's DOS?
Views: 3,292
Message 9 of 19

I have no hotspot since Android update on g6 plus too. At&t is useless. They tried resetting everything and taking through troubleshoot. Nothing worked. I just bought this phone 1 month ago on Amazon return period just expired. Total BS that after I pay $300 for new phone Android updates to disable hotspot which is an advertised feature that I paid 300 for and at&t charges me thousands every year for data and hotspot capabilities. Why the heck would you come out with updates that destroy our phones hotspot capacity? Fix our hotspot on Android 9 or refund our money. This is balogna. Amazon site advertised worked on att. It worked fine until update. Unlocked g6 plus. Total BS that one month after I spend 300 you sneak a "system update" by us that does nothing but destroy our phone! We would have declined the update if you disclosed the update was just shutting off our hotspot on our brand new plus edition phone! What the heck I buy a new phone and not even 1 month later you ram an update down my throat and destroy my phone? ATT says it's motors fault. Moto says att fault. Neither helps us. UGH this is BS! I'm having same issue infernafionin unlocked g6 plus att. Update destroyed hotspot. Total BS. Brand new phone! What the **** did I just spend $500 buying a g6 and g6 plus for if you're just gonna destroy my hotspot 1 month after I buy when I pay att thousands of dollars per year for hotspot?! Fix this NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

G6Intl
Paper Tape
Views: 3,287
Message 10 of 19

TinNickels,

On my phone, the settings for hotspot are completely greyed out.  However, I was able to put the widget on the home screen and that takes me into the hotspot settings.  Note that I have a dual SIM variant.

Do you have this characteristic too?

I actually have managed to get the hotspot to work but it's not easy nor permanent:

1.  Power off

2.  Remove the Sim card(s)

3.  Power up without the Sim card installed

4.  Make sure you are connected to a WiFi source 

5.  Turn on the hotspot, it should work

6.  Re-insert the Sim card(s)

Hotspot should remain on after Sim card connects to the cell towers.  However, if you turn it off or your phone goes to sleep you will have to start over to re-establish the hotspot.

Let me know how it works for you. 

Note that I put my sim card in 2 other phones and the hotspot works fine in them.  

Top Kudoed Authors