cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brokensound
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,039
Message 1 of 18

Moto G6 - Alarm and Ring volume begin very quiet/silent, then jump to full volume after several secs

I have been having a strange issue with my new Moto G6. Whenever an alarm goes off or my phone receives a call, the volume on the ringtone begins either very quiet or silent; after three or four seconds, the volume suddenly (but still gradually) increases to however loud the volume slider is set to. This is not just an issue in normal use. When I first go to select an alarm sound in Clock, the first tone I choose has this same problem; playing another tone or tapping the first one again plays at the right volume. Going into the Sound settings of the phone and tapping the slider of either Alarm volume or Ring volume, the sound plays either silently with clipping at the very end of the sample or very quietly with clipping at the end. After one or two attempts at testing the volume, every subsequent attempt plays normally. Oddly, not only is the Media volume having no apparent problems, but tapping the Media volume slider in Sound settings before tapping either the Alarm or Ring sliders means that tapping the Alarm or Ring sliders immediately afterwards leads to them playing at the correct volume.

Here are a few things to note about my problem:

• I am running the latest available version of Android (8.0.0) and the system firmware, to my knowledge.
  • This problem happens not only for alarm tones and ringtones I have installed via Zedge, but also for those which come with the phone out of the box.
  • Strangely, my notification sound does not seem to be affected by this problem.
  • The problem seems to have been around for about as long as I have owned the phone (probably less than a week).
  • This should not be an issue involving either my screen protector or my case, as the volume increases on its own, and Media volume is not affected.
  • Vibration or its intensity when an alarm is going off or a call is being received does not seem to be affected nor affecting the problem.
  • The problem persists with Dolby Audio enabled or disabled and regardless of whether Volume Leveler is turned on.
  • Due to the nature of the problem, I don't think this has anything to do with hardware malfuctioning.

Here's everything I've done to troubleshoot this problem, none of which have worked:

• Turning the phone off and on again
  • Disabling Dolby Audio and turning Volume Leveler both on and off
  • Attempting, and failing, to clear the cache as per these instructions (I could not get it to go into recovery mode, whether I did the simultaneous presses quickly or slowly)
  • Downloading Disable Increasing Ring, even with "New normalization method" activated
  • Everything this troubleshooter suggests except factory resetting my phone (I want to explore every possible software solution before wiping my phone completely)
  • EDIT: Turning all sound levels to 0, then raising them back up again

I hope that this is a problem that can either be fixed on my end or through a software/firmware update of some kind. I really don't want to have to return this phone due to a hardware problem.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 5,896
Message 2 of 18

Re: Moto G6 - Alarm and Ring volume begin very quiet/silent, then jump to full volume after several

Hi brokensound,

Thank you for writing to us, please be informed that -- the phone has ascending ringtones, so after tapping on the ringtone the first time it's triggered. The first playthrough is very quiet, tapping on a different tone it will play at the louder volume because the speaker is already ramping up the audio.

Note: Ringtones, Alarm tones all follow this same ascending tone. Tapping the first one triggers the ascending cycle, when we tap on the next one it will be louder as the phone is already ramped up for the audio

Taping on additional tones will of course play at loud volume because the audio is already ramped up. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Swaraj
Moto support
molzami
Paper Tape
Views: 5,841
Message 3 of 18

Re: Moto G6 - Alarm and Ring volume begin very quiet/silent, then jump to full volume after several

Hi Swaraj, 

I have the same issue, and it isn't what you have described here as an ascending ring tone.  I am not doing what you have described, not does it seem the original poster was either. 

For me, all i want is a very quiet alarm to wake up to in the morning because there are other people around who do not want to wake up yet.  What happens in the volume settings, when looking at all the slide bars, is that the alarm jumps from being silent to a finger width up the slide bar, nothing inbetween.  it is incremental rather than a slide.  I need it to be quieter than the 1st increment.  Ring volume does the same thing, but that is ok, I do not need a quiet ring. Media is a true slide and doesn't have the increments.  I need Alarm to be like the Media volume. 

brokensound
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,777
Message 4 of 18

I didn't note this in my original post, but I have the ascending tone for both set to "Never." In fact, when I set it to something like 10 seconds, the volume still starts quiet, then jumps to whatever point the increasing volume is at and gradually gets louder. The problem is the same no matter what.

Why is that the case? Why can't I have my ringtones and alarms immediately play at the volume I set it as? Often, the quiet volume at the start is too quiet for me to hear, so when the volume suddenly ramps up, it's already halfway through the tone and doesn't sound right at all. This is not a feature or trick I want active on my phone. I want to hear my ringtone play completely from beginning to end, not start hearing it a third of the way in, giving me less time to answer a call before it goes away. I want to wake up at precisely 6:00 AM, not 6:00:05 AM. This initial quietness is completely unnecessary to me, and I want it to be deactivated.

krede99
Paper Tape
Views: 4,336
Message 5 of 18

I have a similar issue. Most times the volume of the notifications is really low if at all audible - I guess the notification tone is over before it gets up to volume.

However it seems that if the screen is on and or the phone is already playing media everytihing is fine.

I opened a case with Motorola/Lenovo support explaining these issues - They told me this is by design and therefore I need to select notification tones with a longer duration 🤦 I guess this goes for all Motorola G6 Plus owners (probably other models too); Wasting time to find and select new notification tones Smiley Sad 

krede99
Paper Tape
Views: 3,920
Message 6 of 18

Ofcourse I argued the solution to be no good, but now the case is closed and the final answer is: 

"Thank you for your reply - there is no other solution we can recommend right now, however our Tech Team has passed your feedback to the relevant team, so hopefully the issue will be addressed in future updates."

So [Removed] you customers and solve our faulty implementation in your own way 🤦

Roshi75
What's DOS?
Views: 3,753
Message 7 of 18

I have the same issue but is also affecting text and email notifications, which are usually less then 2 seconds so I get nothing to let me know I have received a text or email as the notice is too short to give me any audio so unless I have vibration on or am looking at the screen I won't know.

krede99
Paper Tape
Views: 3,726
Message 8 of 18

yeah sucks to be Motorola costumer - as stated in my previous post the official solution is to select notification tunes with longer duration 🤦.

It seems that if I have selected voice profile in dolby audio app and had my phone connected to my motorcycle helmet bluetooth intercom system the notification tones are very loud and working fine except I am not able to get them down to normal volume level LOL
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,704
Message 9 of 18

@Roshi75 wrote:

I have the same issue but is also affecting text and email notifications, which are usually less then 2 seconds so I get nothing to let me know I have received a text or email as the notice is too short to give me any audio so unless I have vibration on or am looking at the screen I won't know.

Hi Roshi75,

Thank you for posting, sorry to learn about the ongoing trouble—just to narrow down, have you tried changing the notification to a longer duration? Have you noticed this in safe mode? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up. Let us know how it goes?

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

KT555
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,627
Message 10 of 18

I am having this exact same issue with a brand new Moto G6 (Verizon).  I set the alarm sound (Argon) then when I tap it to hear how loud it will be, its SUPER quiet for 1-3 seconds, then the sound goes loud.

**You're telling me this is normal?**

If so, why would it be designed this way?

Theres a similar delay/issue when using speakerphone on a call, you touch the 'speakerphone' button and there's a "delay" which is really, really irritating on a call as the person on the other end of the call has to 'wait' while your phone transitions and they have no idea why you've disappeared from the call for 1-3 seconds.

Whats the deal?

Top Kudoed Authors