Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jabatinski
Paper Tape
Views: 211
Message 1 of 6

Moto G6 Boot loop & how to restore data from internally formatted SD Card

Hello, I recenly purchased a new Moto G6 (Nov 18) and over the past few months was bombarded with Ads by Google, which I couldnt turn off. Today the phone is stuck in a boot loop. Will boot to the Blue Moto Logo powered by Android screen and hang for minutes at a time, before it boots to the homescreen. usually between 1 - 3 minutes and the phone boots again. 

I have tried to poweroff the phone (holding the power button and selecting Poweroff) and after the screen went blank, the same Blue Moto Logo powered by Android screen appeared. i.e. no Poweroff. I have tried to restart the phone (holding power button) but mid shut down the phone returns to the Blue Moto Logo screen.

Very little I can do with the phone, I cannot even turn it to safe mode.

I am usung an SD card as Internal Storage.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

**** UPDATE: Since removing the SD Card (SanDisk Ultra 256GB), phone seems to work, but I am unable to restore all any of my data - photos, music etc as the SD card was formatted to internal storage. Any advice on how to retrieve this data is appreciated?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 195
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moto G6 Boot loop & how to restore data from internally formatted SD Card

Hi Jabatinski,

Thank you for posting. You can retrieve the contents of the SD card by connecting the card to a computer. Once you have copied those files in the computer you can transfer those files back to your phone. Based on our website, the Moto G6 can only support up until 128GB of expandable storage so that might have caused the phone to be stuck on a boot loop. 

May we also know where does the Google Ads show up? You may try to put the phone on safe mode and check if it is caused by 3rd party applications. To Enable Safe Mode:

1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.

Please let us know how it goes. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 158
Message 3 of 6

One of the disadvantages of using SD cards as Internal storage is if they lose their link to the phone even for a millisecond the data on them can become unreadable  by the phone or a Computer normally.

There may be a way to get the information off the SD card so long as it's not been reformatted using 3rd party data recovery software.There are some free ones  if you search around for PCs.

HTH Smiley Happy

Jabatinski
Paper Tape
Views: 149
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for getting back to me. As the card is formatted Internally, it does not show any data on card readers.

In addition, in safe mode, how do I determine what app is responsible for the google ads? They do not seem to appear in Safe mode.

Thanks.

Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 141
Message 5 of 6

A few people have had these ads and it's usually a user installed app but I also suspect the Chrome Browser as they are not as secure as some other browsers.Try uninstalling it and see if it lets you return to the Factory version.I use Opera Mini for data saving and Via Browser for small lightness and speed.Both available on the Playstore.

As for the SD card try installing the Motorola USB drivers if you have a PC,

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/solution/MS88481

Jabatinski
Paper Tape
Views: 133
Message 6 of 6

Hey Porpgyrius, Thanks for the info. I'll download the driver and see how it goes. At the moment, I can connect in safe mode, download about 5 photos before the reboot loop starts. A few hundred photos to go... hopefully the driver works. 

Thanks again.

Top Kudoed Authors