Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeterRodes
Paper Tape
Views: 636
Message 1 of 9

Moto G6 Durability

Hello.

I have owned the Moto G, G2, and G4 and dropped them on ceramic floors multiple times in and out of cases. None have ever broken. Now I an alarmed to read in reviews of extreme fragility of the G6.

What is your experience?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 610
Message 2 of 9

Re: Moto G6 Durability

@PeterRodes wrote:

Hello.

I have owned the Moto G, G2, and G4 and dropped them on ceramic floors multiple times in and out of cases. None have ever broken. Now I an alarmed to read in reviews of extreme fragility of the G6.

What is your experience?

I haven't heard of it being more fragile then other phones. What reviews are you referring too? Also, any drop of any phone can result in breakage. I think we should be surprised when they don't break, not when they do. 

We do have threads in all the different forums where people break their phone and are convinced that "this model" is more fragile then others. But I have never seen any actual evidence that one model was more breakable then others. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
PeterRodes
Paper Tape
Views: 598
Message 3 of 9

This is no upgrade!

I was in the middle of checking this phone out when I asked the salesman about the glass back being fragile. He assured me that it wasn't, then lightly tapped it on the counter, I suppose to demonstrate how durable glass is. The back shattered! What the...? After comparing the other specs to my present G5 Plus, all I can ask is "where's the upgrade part?" Less memory, practically the same camera performance, slower processor. The screen really isn't THAT much different. Really, the entire phone isn't very different than what I already have. I don't see what is supposed to be worth spending another $200 (on sale) for this. If I didn't already have a phone, I suppose I'd still look for a G5 instead. That glass back is a deal breaker all by itself. (Phone breaker too

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g-gen-6

This is a sample. There are many more.

You have to scroll down and select the 1-star reviews.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 574
Message 4 of 9

I hadn't seen much on the forum, and I thought you were referring to the front. Yes all phones with glass backs have double the chance of breaking in my opinion. I had to replace the glass back on 2 iphones in the household - luckily plastic replacements available for those. 

I have to agree, I am not a fan of the glass back. 

As for it if it is an upgrade or not, it depends what phone someone has to compare it too. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
PeterRodes
Paper Tape
Views: 570
Message 5 of 9

Thank you for your kind responses. I think I can conclude that the breakage problem is not common.

huhutrololo
Paper Tape
Views: 486
Message 6 of 9

the display protection is solid - I know it well 

PeterRodes
Paper Tape
Views: 480
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for the info, huhu.

Highlighted
kgfot
What's DOS?
Views: 140
Message 8 of 9

I have my g6 plus now since about 5 months. The back glass was broken within 2 days, the front within a week, but it was usable. Today it broke completely and is unuseable.

I also had a G4 and G2 and I loved them. I crashed with them bike riding (falling on them) and could still use them. Thus I bought the g6plus.

Now I have to find another phone to love, because moto does not have what I need anymore.

PeterRodes
Paper Tape
Views: 107
Message 9 of 9

I bought a G4 a few weeks ago as a gift. $100 on Amazon warehouse deals. 

My G6 is doing fine. I put a good case on it immediately.

A little silly to manufacture a glass back on a phone which must always be covered up where no one can ever see your beautiful glass back.

Top Kudoed Authors