Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matthew88
Paper Tape
Views: 1,627
Message 1 of 7

Moto G6 GPS signal

Hi, I have noticed my Moto G6 seems to not have a good GPS signal. It seems a lot worse than previous phones I have had. See the attached image to see what I'm talking about. In what should be a square pattern in the image, you will see tha tracked GPS location jumps around erratically. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Thanks!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,559
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moto G6 GPS signal

@Matthew88 wrote:

Hi, I have noticed my Moto G6 seems to not have a good GPS signal. It seems a lot worse than previous phones I have had. See the attached image to see what I'm talking about. In what should be a square pattern in the image, you will see tha tracked GPS location jumps around erratically. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Thanks!

Hi Matthew88,

Thank you for writing and sharing us the screenshot, please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? Is it okay if we look into your apps to determine what is causing this? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Just to narrow down—may I know which app are we talking about? Does this happen with a different location? 

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

Meredith_D
Punch Card
Views: 1,463
Message 3 of 7

I'm having horrible problems with my GPS, too; and I can't seem to fix it. I've tried turning the clearing my cache, turning the GPS on and off, turning high accuracy off and on, and calibrating the compass (which I've tried multiple times). My accuracy is actually much worse than is showing in the screenshot above. I've noticed this tends to happen within a mile or so of where I work, and it is off by many blocks. It's been a while since I've cleared the cache, so I may try that again. I'm in the "Storage" section of settings now, and it's just spinning. :-( 

I'd love to share a screenshot of what my GPS is doing from info Google Fit captured; but, unfortunately, I'm also having trouble signing into the forum from my phone. (Just registered from my work desktop today.)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Meredith_D
Punch Card
Views: 1,459
Message 4 of 7

I'm not sure if I cleared the cache partition correctly the first time. Before I cleared the cache partition today, I went outside and tested the GPS hardware. It only goes to 2 decimal points, so I'm not sure how accurate that is. When I enter that location into Google Maps, it is a couple blocks South and a couple blocks West of my current location. (It could be the decimal points causing that error. However, it's often much further off than than when I walk home from work.)
Meredith_D
Punch Card
Views: 1,226
Message 5 of 7

Clearing the cache partition did not work, btw. I found where someone said uninstalling Waze worked, and that seemed to work for a couple days, but it's jumping all over again now. By jumping all over, I mean it's likely as much as 1/2 a mile from my actual location, which is pretty useless when trying to navigate anywhere.

Matthew88
Paper Tape
Views: 469
Message 6 of 7

I'm now on my second Moto G6, and the horrible gps signal is a problem with this one as well. Please see the image in the attachments. The erratic one is from this Moto G6, and the smoother one is from an LG phone. This one is not able to reliably track my cardio activity, which is what I need it to do.

Meredith_D
Punch Card
Views: 287
Message 7 of 7

I wish the GPS on my phone was closer to what you show in the screenshot! Mine is off by many blocks and jumps all over. It's sometimes 1/2 mile or more away. It's had me across a river and back. Likely never going to get a Motorola/Lenovo phone again.
Top Kudoed Authors