Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hurt
Punch Card
Views: 1,756
Message 1 of 6

Moto G6 - Google Photos - Troubles with editing and syncing photos

Hi all!

Not sure if this is an Android-, App- or G6-issue, but maybe you can help me :-)

I switched from a Moto G 3rd gen (2015) to a Moto G6 (Oreo 8.0) recently and I have huge problems with "Google Photos" and the editor of Google Photos (I don't use an "external" gallery/editor app and most of the time I only crop).

Editing photos and saving them worked perfectly on my old phone, but it is a huge mess on the new phone.

The issues I have:

1) On Phone:
1a) When I edit a photo with Google Photos Editor and click "Save" (not on "Save Copy"), I end up with an additional photo in a device folder called "PhotosEditor". In Google Photos on the phone, I now have 2 images in "Photos" tab (the original and the edited one), but I think this is because it simply displays the new "PhotosEditor" album in the "Photos" tab. When I check Google Photos on my desktop PC (browser), I can only see one photo (the edited one), so that's ok (but the changes take forever to be displayed ... on my old phone they were instantly). But why are there 2 photos (original and edited one) in the app, although I've selected to "overwrite" the original? (If I disable "backup & sync" for the "PhotosEditor" folder, it does not work at all - then I only see the edited photo for a quarter of a second when I click on it only to see it replaced by the original afterwards - but it's also mentioned that the whole functionality does not work if backup & sync is disabled, so I can live with that ... but why this "PhotosEditor" folder is created at all?)

1b) As I can see 2 photos in the app and I wanted to undo my changes, I've selected the edited photo, clicked on "Edit" and then "Undo changes" ... What I got afterwards are still 2 photos. One original and another "original" (the edited one with undone changes). When I do so, I end up with 2 photos in the browser version of Google Photos as well (but here one of them is still the edited on without the undo). So I decided to switch to "Albums" on phone and manually deleted the edited version from this folder. I end up with still displaying the edited one in the browser, but the original one in the phone app.

On PC (browser):
2) When I edit a photo that was only synced (and never edited on the phone) in browser (e.g. black&white + crop), I can see the updated thumbnail in the app on the phone nearly instantly (so that's ok) ... BUT ... when I click on the thumbnail in the app on the phone, I see the edited picture for about a quarter of a second, then it switches back to the original photo! And starting from then, I only see the thumbnail of the original photo in the app on the phone (and also still only the original photo when I click on it). The funny thing: When I open the photo in the app on the phone and click on edit, I can see the edited state of the photo (black&white and cropped) - so, the changes are recognized somehow, but not displayed. The view on the browser on the PC is always correct.

---

My (hopefully temporary) solution is to always select "Save copy" (phone and browser) and to delete the original photo manually. And I prefer to do this in the browser, because here the "PhotosEditor" folder/album is not involved and maybe that's where all the troubles start?

I simply don't get why/how you can [Removed] a software like that, it worked perfectly in the past, now I'm only confused by its behavior.

Is it only me that have those issues? Is it an Oreo / Moto G6 bug?

Any help is highly appreciated! :-D Thanks!

Kind regards,
Michael

Edited for site rule violation - Profanity. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Moto-Owners-Forum-Site-Rules/m-p/3269704/highlight/true#... - must follow all rules if you want to participate. - Swaraj

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,664
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moto G6 - Google Photos - Troubles with editing and syncing photos

Hello Hurt,

Thank you for reporting us, we would like to take a look at this. Could you share with us a quick video showing the process? Are you editing a 'portrait' picture or the default picture?

• We tried testing with the 'portrait mode and edit via default or depth editor creates a duplicate under the camera and for the default photo once edited or cropped gets replaced by original. 

Also, please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Thanks,

Swaraj

Moto Support

Hurt
Punch Card
Views: 1,658
Message 3 of 6

Hi Swaraj,

before I create the video, a quick question.

Just out of curiosity, I've switched from "SD card" to "phone" in the Moto Camera App as storage place - everything worked as expected!

Switching back to "SD card" shows the same issues again.

Any tips on how I should use the SD card? Is there some special option how to integrate it to the Android system in order to work correctly? It's a fresh new SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC Class 10 card.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Michael

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,596
Message 4 of 6

Thank you for reporting this Michael. We have already passed this along to our product team for further investigation. If you haven't yet, would you please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? This will help us investigate.

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Hurt
Punch Card
Views: 1,562
Message 5 of 6

@Agent_JM wrote:

If you haven't yet, would you please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? This will help us investigate.

Done!

Were you able to reproduce the behavior in the meantime? (by switching to SD card as storage space instead of phone?)

Thanks!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,533
Message 6 of 6

@Hurt wrote:

@Agent_JM wrote:

If you haven't yet, would you please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? This will help us investigate.

Done!

Were you able to reproduce the behavior in the meantime? (by switching to SD card as storage space instead of phone?)

Thanks!

Hi Hurt,

Update:

It is working as expected, we have brought this with attention to our developers for further consideration. We thank you for reporting.

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

Top Kudoed Authors