cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ascener
Fanfold Paper
Views: 697
Message 501 of 545

Re: Moto G6 - Lag / Irresponsive - Post Pie Update [G6 Users pls share your reviews here]

@mscoff wrote:
did you purchase the phone with android 8 orandroid 9 installed

Me? With android 8 and then had like 5 or so updates, next was Pie update and then couple more. It took me couple hours to download and install it all. I wiped the data from settings and then in the September got the August security patch.

My model is XT1925-5. And the date on the box is (I guess either production or export date): 2018-07-24

I also have some apps turned off: motorola's face recognition, Chrome, Digital Wellbeing, Time and Weather, Duo, Drive, Google Play Movies, Face filters, Gboard, Google, Google Connectivity Services, Calendar, Google keybords languages like korean and such, LinkedIn, Google Maps, Google Play Music, Outlook, Moto Voice (Beta), Moto Help, Motorola Notifications, Smart Lock, Moto Suggestions, YouTube, Google Text to Speech, Google Photos.

Instead of some of them I've installed my own, like Simple Keyboard, stuff like that. Mostly open source apps.

And so far my phone is doing fine. But I'm not a heavy user, I don't use apps like Messenger and Instagram. I have 22GB free space left and I don't have micro sd card installed.

If my phone starts lagging I'll let you all know. The only problems I got with this phone is headphone jack (sometimes I have to reenter it to hear music) and low phone call volume. Also not that great vibrations.

Puiu1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 689
Message 502 of 545

Re: Moto G6 - Lag / Irresponsive - Post Pie Update [G6 Users pls share your reviews here]

Have Moto g6 w. Android 8. I have installed all security updates up to 1 November 2018, which I didn't install yet. I do not want Android 9, it has too many issues. Please tell me how many security updates are before Android 9 update. When Android 9 was available? (my moto g6 is on channel reteu)
MikeInFla
Fanfold Paper
Views: 655
Message 503 of 545

My apps are not running off the SD card. I have one installed but I didn't format it as part of the internal memory. It is only for music, pictures and Netflix downloads. I never had an issue until the Pie update several months ago. 

Someone asked about the install. It will not install without you selecting it. Simply don't do it, it will not force you to but the Moto app will let you know it is available. Had I known how buggy it was I would have never installed it 

iljam
Paper Tape
Views: 649
Message 504 of 545

@mark-mark wrote:

I can't help but wonder if you are running your G6 with a microSD card as primary memory vs. using it only for pics and audio or video. The internal memory runs somewhere between 800MB-1500MB per second. The best MicroSD cards are between 80-90MB per second. The G6 is the value play phone. Many here act as if they are buying a true flagship phone and are disappointed because they cheaped out and got the 32GB storage version and figured they could add a large MicroSD card and still have the same performance of the internal memory with a MicroSD card. 

Try running your phones without any MicroSD card after you install Pie (Android 9). Do another factory reset without the external memory card and see if your phone lags. 

My G6 has no Micro SD memory card installed. It's the 32GB version. Oreo is competent but the G6 is better served with Pie. It runs much better. The standby battery life is a lot better than Oreo. No lag at all. 

I give advice to those who want to fix their G6. If you installed a bunch of apps on your MicroSD cards, that would cause significant latency in your G6. 

I only can talk for myself, but my G6 is not just lagging. Pretty often the screen just freezes and does not react at all to pressing or scrolling. Fortunately turning the screen off and on again helps.

mike314
Punch Card
Views: 594
Message 505 of 545

@iljam wrote:

@mark-mark wrote:

I can't help but wonder if you are running your G6 with a microSD card as primary memory vs. using it only for pics and audio or video. The internal memory runs somewhere between 800MB-1500MB per second. The best MicroSD cards are between 80-90MB per second. The G6 is the value play phone. Many here act as if they are buying a true flagship phone and are disappointed because they cheaped out and got the 32GB storage version and figured they could add a large MicroSD card and still have the same performance of the internal memory with a MicroSD card. 

Try running your phones without any MicroSD card after you install Pie (Android 9). Do another factory reset without the external memory card and see if your phone lags. 

My G6 has no Micro SD memory card installed. It's the 32GB version. Oreo is competent but the G6 is better served with Pie. It runs much better. The standby battery life is a lot better than Oreo. No lag at all. 

I give advice to those who want to fix their G6. If you installed a bunch of apps on your MicroSD cards, that would cause significant latency in your G6. 

I only can talk for myself, but my G6 is not just lagging. Pretty often the screen just freezes and does not react at all to pressing or scrolling. Fortunately turning the screen off and on again helps.

That could also be hardware related I heard a lot of complaints about the Iphone 6 that is famous for the "Touch disease" where there is an intermittent problem on the logic board due to the way it's made and it can happen if the phone is dropped or flexed too much

I am not saying that this is a definite problem it's just another posibility You can't just blame everything on the software update I see a lot of  G6 phones with cracked screens on Ebay so I would not be surprised if some of these complaints are hardware related

AntonioPle
Paper Tape
Views: 549
Message 506 of 545

My screen freezes as well and I've never dropped my phone. It's definitely not hardware or due to individual mishandling, it's what thousands of us have been experiencing for months along with the other bugs.

One-Sad-User
Fanfold Paper
Views: 451
Message 507 of 545

Ah! The SD card and how do you use your memory/apps argument.

The issue here is Android Pie on the G6. Yes, I'm aware that there is some memory management and configuration tweaking I could do to ease (or mostly avoid the problem) but I don't see why should I. First time I found the problem I got rid of a bunch of apps and reconfigured the memory, changed settings, turned off apps, it didn't last long. Second time around I did not install everything back, I configured the memory and manually installed what I most need and what I more often use use, leaving out a bunch of stuff out.

But I don't see why this has to be like that, I want a phone that will perform well, as the G6 used to perform on Android 8, not perfect but good enough. I don't want or need something that I have to research and play try and enrror to find a configuration set that will deliver an acceptable performance.

That's why I have decided to switch brands, 10 more days or so and I'll be trying my luck with someting else, a reputable brand that, hopefully, won't end leading me to a 50+ pages blog and countless internet searches just to have it working as one expects it to work. I frankly do not see a reason to blindly trust any brand. I give a manufacturer my money in exchange for some product, does the product not fill my expectatives (which I try to keep realistic)? I take my business somewere else. Will I never ever again buy a Motorola phone? Who knows, we'll see what happens, but, hopefully, it won't be switching back in at least 3 to 5 years, maybe longer, or maybe never. 

Amazon_Customer
Serial Port
Views: 447
Message 508 of 545

I haven't had problems on the M6 since changing my router. Neither have other Moto users in the house. Moto G7 play and Moto G8. 

Now today (4/11/2019) have received in the U.K. a new security update for Moto G6. See attached for versions. 

Can't say if this update will make any difference , unless I set up the old router to seeing problems re-emerge .....which I am not keen to do!!!!

Moto G is worth it.....but unblocked SIM free may be better option than contract reading these pages!

rtj49
Fanfold Paper
Views: 280
Message 509 of 545

Back on October 13, JimmiH reported that he had used the Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant in Rescue mode to reflash the latest factory rom to his phone, and that it seemed to fix the problems, at least for the moment.  But we've seen a number of reports that performing a factory reset has the same effect in the beginning, but the lagginess returned within a few weeks.  So we've been waiting to hear from JimmiH about how he's doing.  But he hasn't logged on since October 20, so I don't know if we will hear from him.

Has anyone else tried the LMSA?  Is there anyone who would like to try it?  I would volunteer, but I'm still on Oreo.  If someone is on Pie, and their phone is pretty much unusable, and they can't go back to Oreo, it seems they wouldn't have anything to lose by trying the LMSA. It seems in the worst case it's just another factory reset, which leaves them no worse off, but in the best case it might fix their phone.  And it is official Motorola software that doesn't require rooting or anything like that.

I should add that cdaly1970 on the xda-developers forum has reported that he used an earlier Motorola utility called RDS Lite to reflash the firmware, and a month later all was still good.  RDS Lite was the predecessor to LMSA which did not work with Windows 10 or USB3 ports, but otherwise appears to do the same reflashing.  So there is some reason to believe that LMSA might actually work.

Highlighted
OS1111
Punch Card
Views: 251
Message 510 of 545

I'm happy to try it. I'm no longer using it as my daily phone so there's little to hold me back! How do I get the software and ROM image? Which OS should I use to run the flash software?

OS1
Top Kudoed Authors