cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HzMeister
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,806
Message 1 of 145

Moto G6 Play poor headphone audio quality - confirmed on multiple devices.

The headphone audio quality is extremely poor on the g6 play using wired headphones over the 3.5mm audio jack. There is a background static noise on output and volume level is uneven(highs are pronounced, and lows are diminished). It is particularly noticable at lower volumes and is even worse with dolby audio turned off. Apple Earpods appear to be particularly bad.

This is NOT a minor problem that's barely noticeable... It's extremely obvious and I'm honestly surprised motorola released a phone with such a blatant flaw. 

I have confirmed this to likely be an issue affecting ALL moto g6 play devices after having replaced it several times in different parts of the country (I realized how bad the quality was a few days before a flight)

Doing a factory reset or changing any of the settings makes no difference and this is not an issue on any other phone I have ever had, including a g4 play.

Please let me know if there's anything that can be done to fix it. Thanks.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 10,675
Message 2 of 145

Re: Moto G6 Play poor headphone audio quality - confirmed on multiple devices.

Hi, HzMeister

Thank you for reporting, I haven't seen this issue personly as far as I tested both in low and high volume pitch, However, let me share your feedback with our product team for further investigation on this.

Regards,

Swaraj

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 10,668
Message 3 of 145

@Agent_Swaraj wrote:

Hi, HzMeister

Thank you for reporting, I haven't seen this issue personly as far as I tested both in low and high volume pitch, However, let me share your feedback with our product team for further investigation on this.

Regards,

Swaraj

Hello, HzMeister

Update:

As per the update from our product team, we were able to replicate the same. We thank you for your inputs. Our advice at this point would be to check if your device is under replacement period -- if so, you can process for the replacement if not, the next option would be Service/repair.

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola support

HzMeister
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,657
Message 4 of 145

Thanks for the update. It's nice to know motorola is going to do something about it.

Can you find out if this is a hardware flaw or if it can be fixed with a software update? If it's a software issue, I'm fine with waiting for the the fix on the next update (hopefully it's within a reasonable amount of time).

I'm still within the return period but, aside from this problem, I like the phone a lot and would rather not return it and another replacement phone would most likely be the same..

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 10,619
Message 5 of 145

@HzMeister wrote:

Thanks for the update. It's nice to know motorola is going to do something about it.

Can you find out if this is a hardware flaw or if it can be fixed with a software update? If it's a software issue, I'm fine with waiting for the the fix on the next update (hopefully it's within a reasonable amount of time).

I'm still within the return period but, aside from this problem, I like the phone a lot and would rather not return it and another replacement phone would most likely be the same..

Hi,HzMeister

Thank you for your response, we appreciate your feedback. However, please be informed that our team is further investigating in regards to the same-- we will keep you posted here once we have an update in regards.

Thanks,
Swaraj

Motorola Support

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 10,603
Message 6 of 145

@HzMeister wrote:

Really glad you like the phone. We're not sure how to help you though. We can't reproduce the issue here -- the sound seems fine and the volumes are even.

If I have a complaint, is that low volumes are just too low. (I can barely hear it under 50%, but that may just be my ruined hearing.) I deduced that you have tried more than one type of headset -- correct?

Because we can't reproduce it, it would appear to be isolated to your device. However, you say you have replaced it at least once. So that is not a great sign. But we can't say that there is some fix coming since we've not really identified anything yet and I know the clock is ticking for you.

Thoughts?

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
DashFlash
What's DOS?
Views: 10,497
Message 7 of 145

This also happens to me. I am very disappointed at the quality of the sound. My other phone with the same headphones works great. However using this phone I have to use wireless headphones for reasonable sound quality; whenever the battery runs out I switch to wired. I tried every possible fix, including enabling and disabling dolby audio, bad sound quality is more noticeable in music that's mixed with dialogue, such as a movie or video on YouTube. Music has a lot of static and is next to unhearable. I am using a pair of Sony earbuds (don't remember model).

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 10,481
Message 8 of 145

@DashFlash wrote:

This also happens to me. I am very disappointed at the quality of the sound. My other phone with the same headphones works great. However using this phone I have to use wireless headphones for reasonable sound quality; whenever the battery runs out I switch to wired. I tried every possible fix, including enabling and disabling dolby audio, bad sound quality is more noticeable in music that's mixed with dialogue, such as a movie or video on YouTube. Music has a lot of static and is next to unhearable. I am using a pair of Sony earbuds (don't remember model).

Hi DashFlash,

Sorry to learn that you are disappointed, we want to help you. Also, I understand that you have tried the same headphone on other devices which works as per your expectation. I would still like to know if you have tried with a differently wired earphone if that makes any difference? As you have already confirmed that the wireless headphones have no problem.

Thanks,

Swaraj

Moto Support

HzMeister
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,468
Message 9 of 145

I've been in contact with several other people on different forums and we have found this to be a systemic problem across all devices - it's been confirmed on nearly 2 dozen devices now, so I have no idea how motorola isn't acknowledging it..

The thing about audio signals is that they are entirely analog and are relatively low frequency, so measuring the actual quality is straightforward with something like an oscilloscope. One of the people I'm talking to is a writer for a tech site so we are currently working on getting the raw data and characterizing it in comparison to other popular phones.

In a time when 3.5mm audio jacks are going the way of the dodo it's pretty scandalous for a company to release a phone with such incredibly bad wired audio quality. Is it a conspiracy to get people to switch to wireless? Probably not(we're talking millions of dollars that are on the line here), but it does make for a good story..

CodyMoto Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Views: 10,417
Message 10 of 145

@HzMeister wrote:

I've been in contact with several other people on different forums and we have found this to be a systemic problem across all devices - it's been confirmed on nearly 2 dozen devices now, so I have no idea how motorola isn't acknowledging it..

The thing about audio signals is that they are entirely analog and are relatively low frequency, so measuring the actual quality is straightforward with something like an oscilloscope. One of the people I'm talking to is a writer for a tech site so we are currently working on getting the raw data and characterizing it in comparison to other popular phones.

In a time when 3.5mm audio jacks are going the way of the dodo it's pretty scandalous for a company to release a phone with such incredibly bad wired audio quality. Is it a conspiracy to get people to switch to wireless? Probably not(we're talking millions of dollars that are on the line here), but it does make for a good story..

Hello HzMeister,

We are doing our best to investigate these concerns.  If possible, pllease reply to me with your preferred contact information and we will reach out to discuss what our options will be moving forward.  Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Best Regards,

Cody

Top Kudoed Authors