cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sam1605
What's DOS?
Views: 1,855
Message 11 of 145

Re: Moto G6 Play poor headphone audio quality - confirmed on multiple devices.

Is this Problem with the G6 Play only or does it also exist with the G6 and G6 Plus?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,841
Message 12 of 145

@Sam1605 wrote:

Is this Problem with the G6 Play only or does it also exist with the G6 and G6 Plus?

Hi Sam1605,

To answer your question, please be informed that this is not an issue, we have received few reports which look isolated to few users. 

Thanks,

Swaraj

Moto support

Zedniac
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,769
Message 13 of 145

I can confirm that this bug is present on my device as well. I don't want to be pedantic, but since this may help Lenovo troubleshoot, I want to point out that (on my device) the problem is not with high or low frequencies, but high or low volume. Any audio that plays continuously with no silent or quiet parts plays fine, but any audio at a low volume, even if just for a split second, will cut out as if the headphone jack is turning off to save power or something. Doesn't matter whether Dolby Audio is enabled or disabled. This is not a hardware problem, it has only to do with the volume of the audio.

https://youtu.be/XFkzRNyygfk Here's an example of a song that sounds horrible on the Moto g6 Play. Note the low volume. Sound cuts in and out. Since the volume level of the video is low overall, even the loud part of the song at 1:00 is unlistenable.

https://youtu.be/ALZHF5UqnU4 Here's a song that sounds mostly okay on the g6 Play. Note that the volume is pretty loud and that the sound of the song is more or less continuous with very few quiet or silent moments.

This is a device breaking bug to me. I love this device so far apart from this one thing, and if it persists I'll have to return it. I would be happy to upload a video demonstrating this bug through speakers if it would help Lenovo fix this bug. I think it's clear at this point that it is an issue with the phone if people are complaining of it before it is even available from Moto in the US.

EDIT: After a little more testing, the bug is only present when the device volume is set to less than half. Setting the volume high seems to work fine. This strengthens my suspicion that this is some kind of power saving measure. Unfortunately blasting my eardrums isn't a solution. Again, I will post a video of the bug if that would help.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,753
Message 14 of 145

@Zedniac wrote:

I can confirm that this bug is present on my device as well. I don't want to be pedantic, but since this may help Lenovo troubleshoot, I want to point out that (on my device) the problem is not with high or low frequencies, but high or low volume. Any audio that plays continuously with no silent or quiet parts plays fine, but any audio at a low volume, even if just for a split second, will cut out as if the headphone jack is turning off to save power or something. Doesn't matter whether Dolby Audio is enabled or disabled. This is not a hardware problem, it has only to do with the volume of the audio.

https://youtu.be/XFkzRNyygfk Here's an example of a song that sounds horrible on the Moto g6 Play. Note the low volume. Sound cuts in and out. Since the volume level of the video is low overall, even the loud part of the song at 1:00 is unlistenable.

https://youtu.be/ALZHF5UqnU4 Here's a song that sounds mostly okay on the g6 Play. Note that the volume is pretty loud and that the sound of the song is more or less continuous with very few quiet or silent moments.

This is a device breaking bug to me. I love this device so far apart from this one thing, and if it persists I'll have to return it. I would be happy to upload a video demonstrating this bug through speakers if it would help Lenovo fix this bug. I think it's clear at this point that it is an issue with the phone if people are complaining of it before it is even available from Moto in the US.

EDIT: After a little more testing, the bug is only present when the device volume is set to less than half. Setting the volume high seems to work fine. This strengthens my suspicion that this is some kind of power saving measure. Unfortunately blasting my eardrums isn't a solution. Again, I will post a video of the bug if that would help.

How long have you had the phone? Does this happen on all wired headsets you have tried? What about when you are just using the phone speakers or when you are using a bluetooth headset? Have you tested in safe mode? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up. Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Zedniac
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,746
Message 15 of 145

I have had the device for two days. I have tested with three sets of headphones and one speaker, all of them had the same issue. The issue is not present with the phone speaker or via Bluetooth as far as I can tell. The problem persists in safe mode.

liebert
Paper Tape
Views: 1,723
Message 16 of 145

My 2 Moto G6 Play also have same issue as people have described. I have tried them with headphones and earbuds.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,712
Message 17 of 145

Hi Zedniac and liebert,

We thank you for your inputs, we have shared your feedback with our product team for further lookups. 

Regards,
Swaraj

Moto Support

Matt5sean3
What's DOS?
Views: 1,700
Message 18 of 145

I can confirm that I face the same issue. I bought my phone via Boost Mobile about two weeks ago and since receiving the phone I've noticed that audio below a certain level drops out. As other commenters have said, the issue only occurs with wired headphones and only when the volume setting is below around 50%.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,627
Message 19 of 145

Hi Zedniacliebert and Matt5sean3,

The last troubleshooting step we can do is factory data reset. Kindly backup all your data and perform factory data reset. I would also advise you to remove your Google account from the phone before proceeding with it. The steps are here: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/indevice_detail/a_id/126881/p/30,6720,10384

If you already did a factory data reset and tested the phone BEFORE installing or restoring ANY apps, and the problem persists, then replacement/repair is next step.

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Zedniac
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,612
Message 20 of 145

Respectfully, I believe that with what I have seen from my device, a factory reset would be a waste of my time. The phone exhibited this behavior before I installed very many apps at all. With a phone that is less than a week old, I would rather return it and purchase a replacement than waste my time resetting the phone, downloading all my apps again, logging into accounts, etc.

Can you confirm that Motorola is looking into this problem, and whether a software update is coming to fix it? If not, will a replacement device solve the issue or is it widespread among all devices? Surely Moto technicians would be able to tell whether this issue is universal or not.

Top Kudoed Authors