Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DerEntspannende
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,257
Message 1 of 15

Moto G6 Plus: Moving Apps to SD card?

Is it possible to move apps to SD card (Android 8 Oreo)?

I tried several apps but Android didn't show the option for any of them (including Microsoft OneDrive where the option was introduced in May with version 5.9 - I have 5.10).

To have an SD slot without having the option to move apps there seems quite ... useless.

Or do I have to delete and reinstall an app before the option is shown?

BTW I don't want to use my SD card as internal storage.

Live long and prosper \\//_
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 8,251
Message 2 of 15

Re: Moto G6 Plus: Moving Apps to SD card?

@DerEntspannende wrote:

Is it possible to move apps to SD card (Android 8 Oreo)?

I tried several apps but Android didn't show the option for any of them (including Microsoft OneDrive where the option was introduced in May with version 5.9 - I have 5.10).

To have an SD slot without having the option to move apps there seems quite ... useless.

Or do I have to delete and reinstall an app before the option is shown?

BTW I don't want to use my SD card as internal storage.

Google removed the function to move apps to sd many android versions ago  and made adopted storage the only way in stock android. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
DerEntspannende
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,237
Message 3 of 15

This seems to be quite confusing for me as Microsoft announced this ability (see answer from Ryan Hoge , Group Program Manager, Microsoft ) in May and added it to the OneDrive app with version 5.9 (to be seen in "What's new": https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.skydrive&hl=en)

Additionally there are a lot of arcticles with screenshots that show the option for Oreo (like seen in How to Move Android Apps to a Micro SD Card and Clear Space, section Move Apps to an SD Card on Android 8.0 Oreo).

What I've seen are some mentions that some brands removed this ability in their Android version. So for now this looks to me more like Lenovo removed this too.

Additionally I don't see any option in the storage settings to set up my micro SD card as internal/adoptable storage. SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC Class 10 may be not the fastest one but it's not a slow one so I'm wondering why I don't see option.

Former Employee
Views: 8,211
Message 4 of 15

Hi DerEntspannende,

Please be informed that "AlphaDog" is correct as the Moto G6 plus does not support an ability to format the SD card as Internal/Adopted Storage and so we would not be able to move the apps to "SD card".

Thanks,

Swaraj

Moto support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
DerEntspannende
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,208
Message 5 of 15

Hi Swaraj,

thanks for the clarification. So Moto G6 plus doesn't support adoptable storage and it doesn't support moving apps to SD card.

Although I don't know the reasons for this, it may be a reasonable decision.

But it seriously irritates me that Lenovo sells a smartphone with a SD slot, but that SD slot is rather useless except for Google's own Android apps that offer storing their data on SD card (like Play Music).

Regards,

Frank

Dabebbe
Paper Tape
Views: 8,069
Message 6 of 15

There are some more Apps that Support using the SD-Card for Storage like Camera-Apps, Amazon-Video etc

App2SD is simply outdated.

App2SD has problems with apps that use widgets.
SD cards are noticeably slower than the internal memory, which slows down moeved Apps.

The last Apps which I had moved to SD (Android L / Samsung Pro

+), were uselessly slow.

That is why the SD (unfortunately) should only be used as a mass storage device for movies, documents, music, photos, etc

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 8,045
Message 7 of 15

@DerEntspannende wrote:

Hi Swaraj,

thanks for the clarification. So Moto G6 plus doesn't support adoptable storage and it doesn't support moving apps to SD card.

Although I don't know the reasons for this, it may be a reasonable decision.

But it seriously irritates me that Lenovo sells a smartphone with a SD slot, but that SD slot is rather useless except for Google's own Android apps that offer storing their data on SD card (like Play Music).

Regards,

Frank

I use my SD card to take on the heavy-lifting of storage, which for me means all my photos and all my downloaded music (for me, that's mostly Spotify). This frees up internal memory for apps and other activities.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
DerEntspannende
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,021
Message 8 of 15

Same goes with me. Unfortunately just OneDrive (inkl. OneDrive for Business) is the most heavy-lifting app when it comes for storage. I had hoped I would move it to my SD card (this feature was introduced in May by Microsoft). Another app with lot of storage I use is Nextcloud whitch offers to configure storage location within the app, as well as Plex (for syncing media).

Frank
Michael_g6
What's DOS?
Views: 5,086
Message 9 of 15

Hi, virtually everyone on this thread is wrong. It is completely possible to use the sd card for apps. In settings you simply have to format it as an extension of the internal memory. That's it.

kemoti
802.11n
Views: 5,045
Message 10 of 15

Moto G6 is such an option. I do not use this because it is impractical. I tested and works. On the screens I showed how to set up external memory. Maybe I helped someone.1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors