Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
facls
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,160
Message 1 of 25

Moto G6 Plus Random Shut Down

Hello,

I've had the Moto G6 Plus for a little over two weeks and I've been dealing with two major problems since release.

First, the phone randomly shuts down while I'm not using it. Sometimes it restarts but most of the time it's off and I have to restart. The battery level remains the same.

Another issue is that while I'm using it it randomly shuts down wifi and the mobile network. It won't find any wifi connection or connect to any it finds. While I was returning from work last Friday this happened five times. I needed to restart the phone to make it work again.

I've tried clearing the cache, I've returned to factory mode, I left only a few apps, and I'm even now running without my Micro SD card and I still have these issues.

I really don't know what else to do. I can (and probably will have to) take to customer service but I want to exhaust every possibility before, since they'll keep my phone for a while before giving me a verdict.

This is deeply frustrating, I've had the G4 and G5 before and had no problems. This is my first time with Oreo.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 10,971
Message 2 of 25

Re: Moto G6 Plus Random Shut Down

@facls wrote:

Hello,

I've had the Moto G6 Plus for a little over two weeks and I've been dealing with two major problems since release.

First, the phone randomly shuts down while I'm not using it. Sometimes it restarts but most of the time it's off and I have to restart. The battery level remains the same.

Another issue is that while I'm using it it randomly shuts down wifi and the mobile network. It won't find any wifi connection or connect to any it finds. While I was returning from work last Friday this happened five times. I needed to restart the phone to make it work again.

I've tried clearing the cache, I've returned to factory mode, I left only a few apps, and I'm even now running without my Micro SD card and I still have these issues.

I really don't know what else to do. I can (and probably will have to) take to customer service but I want to exhaust every possibility before, since they'll keep my phone for a while before giving me a verdict.

This is deeply frustrating, I've had the G4 and G5 before and had no problems. This is my first time with Oreo.

Hello, facls.

We are sorry to hear about the ongoing issue, happy to help you. Just to narrow down, may I know how many times does your device reboots? As you mentioned, that it sometimes reboots even when you are not performing any task on your device?

Can you test in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up. Let us know if this makes any difference? 

Regarding wifi, have you tried performing Network settings reset? If not, please try the same and let us know if that makes any difference.

Best,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
facls
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,963
Message 3 of 25

Hello,

Most of the time it turns itself off when I'm not doing anything on it, but sometimes it reboots. It happened three times yesterday, but there are days where it's two or three times that.

I have also reset the network settings, lost all my wifi passwords, and the problem persists. I have also erased all apps and user app info and still no solution.

I have booted into Recovery Mode before but found no Safe Mode. This Moto G6 Plus is running Oreo. I have searched forums but did not find where I can get to safe mode from this device.

Thanks

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 10,951
Message 4 of 25

@facls wrote:

Hello,

Most of the time it turns itself off when I'm not doing anything on it, but sometimes it reboots. It happened three times yesterday, but there are days where it's two or three times that.

I have also reset the network settings, lost all my wifi passwords, and the problem persists. I have also erased all apps and user app info and still no solution.

I have booted into Recovery Mode before but found no Safe Mode. This Moto G6 Plus is running Oreo. I have searched forums but did not find where I can get to safe mode from this device.

Thanks

Hello,

On the G6 Plus, to enter Safe Mode. While the phone is powered on and at the home screen. Press and hold the power button until you see the menu to Power off or Restart. Press and hold on Power Off until the phone vibrates. It will then reboot into Safe Mode. Let us know if you experience either of the issues you reported.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

facls
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,943
Message 5 of 25

I'll run Safe Mode as soon as the problems reappear and I'll post here.

I have a hunch it's battery related, as the phone seems to be stable when its battery is over 60%.

facls
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,911
Message 6 of 25

Hello,

Before running Safe Mode, I had around 24 hours without any issues on my phone, but last night my phone restarted on his own again and had another wifi+mobile network disconnect. This morning, another wifi+mobile network disconnect. So I ran Safe Mode. Within 10 minutes of Safe Mode the phone turned off by itself. It then restarted two more times by itself. It's definitely not caused by a third-party app.

I've included a composite screenshot from this morning showing the mobile network completely off and no wifi found. I'm at work, there's plenty of wifi networks here.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 10,880
Message 7 of 25

@facls wrote:

Hello,

Before running Safe Mode, I had around 24 hours without any issues on my phone, but last night my phone restarted on his own again and had another wifi+mobile network disconnect. This morning, another wifi+mobile network disconnect. So I ran Safe Mode. Within 10 minutes of Safe Mode the phone turned off by itself. It then restarted two more times by itself. It's definitely not caused by a third-party app.

I've included a composite screenshot from this morning showing the mobile network completely off and no wifi found. I'm at work, there's plenty of wifi networks here.

Hello, facls.

Thank you for testing in safe mode, as you are able to duplicate the same in safe mode-- let me investigate this from our end. Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Update your profile -(link)

Best,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
facls
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,876
Message 8 of 25

I have updated my profile with the requested info, you can check the phone.

Thanks

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 10,873
Message 9 of 25

@facls wrote:

I have updated my profile with the requested info, you can check the phone.

Thanks

Hi, facls.

Thank you for updating your profile, let me investigate this further and get back to you. However, if your device is in 'return window period' you can try for the replacement.

Best,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

facls
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,849
Message 10 of 25

I have sent the phone to customer care and apparently it's the fault of some component. After I get it back I'll let you know what was causing the issue.

Top Kudoed Authors