Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HelloMoto99
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,087
Message 1 of 23

Moto G6 Plus WiFi and Microphone issues

Wow G6 Plus is a great phone. Love the screen and the camera. Really nice upgrades over my old G4 .

However there are 2 problems I've encountered and they are so fundamental to the functionality of the phone that I'm going to have to take it back unless there is a fix.

1) WiFi keeps losing connectivity every 5 mins or so. It loses connection and then immediately reconnects.

2) The microphone on the rear I assume when shooting video seems very low, as in, volume of recorded audio is VERY quiet. It also seems to pick up quite a bit of distortion of background noise.

Disappointing issues considering WiFi and microphone functionality are both essential qualities in a phone. 

Do I just have a faulty unit or is this normal?

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 7,978
Message 2 of 23

Re: Moto G6 Plus WiFi and Microphone issues

@HelloMoto99 wrote:

Wow G6 Plus is a great phone. Love the screen and the camera. Really nice upgrades over my old G4 .

However there are 2 problems I've encountered and they are so fundamental to the functionality of the phone that I'm going to have to take it back unless there is a fix.

1) WiFi keeps losing connectivity every 5 mins or so. It loses connection and then immediately reconnects.

2) The microphone on the rear I assume when shooting video seems very low, as in, volume of recorded audio is VERY quiet. It also seems to pick up quite a bit of distortion of background noise.

Disappointing issues considering WiFi and microphone functionality are both essential qualities in a phone. 

Do I just have a faulty unit or is this normal?

Hello, HelloMoto99.

Thank you for reporting the issue, we appreciate your feedback, let me try to investigate this further--- Just to narrow down, could you check the same with a different router and let us know if you experience the same issue? Have you tried to reset your router and connect again, does that help?

Regarding the low volume while recording-- could you let us know if you are using default camera to record, if yes-- could you please share us a video for us to further investigate in regards to the same?

Meanwhile, please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Update your profile -link

Best,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

jeremysl98
Punch Card
Views: 7,878
Message 3 of 23

Sounds like the G6 has the same issues as the G5. I would return it ASAP if I were you. The G5 issues are still not resolved:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/Moto-G5-Plus-wifi-problem/td-p/3618235/page/56

HelloMoto99
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,792
Message 4 of 23

@jeremysl98 wrote:

Sounds like the G6 has the same issues as the G5. I would return it ASAP if I were you. The G5 issues are still not resolved:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/Moto-G5-Plus-wifi-problem/td-p/3618235/page/56

What do you recommend I exchange it for?

I love the G6 Plus, great screen and the camera is great. How can something as simple as WiFi be a problem in 2018 is beyond comprehension. FYI to any Moto agents reading this, the problem is not my router. I have many devices connected to it including a Lenovo 8 inch tablet and a Moto G4 with NO problems. The problem is the G6 Plus! It even has problems connecting to other WiFi networks I've tested such as the WiFi in my office at work and even McDonald's WiFi. Come on, this is a bad joke right?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 7,650
Message 5 of 23

Is it fully dropping the wifi connection? If you are streaming, does it fully stop? Or is it just a visual thing that notifies you it's lost connection but you are still able to browse or connected to the net?

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

jeremysl98
Punch Card
Views: 7,641
Message 6 of 23

@HelloMoto99 wrote:

@jeremysl98 wrote:

What do you recommend I exchange it for?

I love the G6 Plus, great screen and the camera is great. How can something as simple as WiFi be a problem in 2018 is beyond comprehension. FYI to any Moto agents reading this, the problem is not my router. I have many devices connected to it including a Lenovo 8 inch tablet and a Moto G4 with NO problems. The problem is the G6 Plus! It even has problems connecting to other WiFi networks I've tested such as the WiFi in my office at work and even McDonald's WiFi. Come on, this is a bad joke right?

My G5 can't use wifi or even make phone calls (bad microphone). I'm on my second one too. Both had the same problems. Great phones on paper, but they just don't work and motorola is clearly incapable (or not interested) in fixing it. I've been considering the Huewei Honor 7x or Mate SE. Only thing I could find comparable to the G5/G6.

HelloMoto99
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,631
Message 7 of 23

JM,

Yes, the WiFi connection disconnects. Yes, it's a real disconnect. No, it doesn't matter if I am streaming or not. It can happen at any time whether I am browsing, streaming or do nothing whatsoever. By the way, how is that relevant to the issue? The WiFi disconnects constantly. It's not caused by any Apps because it happens straight out of the box BEFORE any Apps are installed.

It has been happening for 15 months on your previous phone, the G5: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/Moto-G5-Plus-wifi-problem/td-p/3618235/page/56

I'm sure you already have enough data about this issue to know what I'm talking about, so please stop asking mundane questions and tell me how to fix it. Thanks!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 7,582
Message 8 of 23

We understand your sentiment. Please keep in mind, every phone model is unique: hardware, software and all. This is the reason why we would like to get more information so we can investigate and pin down the root cause of this issue on this particular phone model as quickly as possible. We will need your help on this.

Please tell us the make and model of your router, as well as the security protocol you use at home. We would also like to get logs with wifi verbose enabled. The steps are here:

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps, Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging > Toggle On
6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
8. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply or via a private message.
9. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Note: Please make sure that after you create the report, turn OFF developer options and stuff; otherwise it can cause issues on the phone with the additional logs being enabled in the background.

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

molmedo1
Paper Tape
Views: 7,518
Message 9 of 23

Just got my phone also and experiencing same issue. Will post logs when issue occurs again.

molmedo1
Paper Tape
Views: 7,441
Message 10 of 23

Router is Buffalo WHR-G125 . I use WPA2 Personal security AES. Also using dd-wrt firmware. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kGcS04ZzzK1nL95Kq4TBRKDPzOu5WlGP.

Is this what you need to troubleshoot??
Thanks - Mario
Top Kudoed Authors