Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jaygee33
Blue Screen Again
Views: 378
Message 1 of 17

Moto G6 Plus can't turn on hotspot and tethering

Hello.  I recently purchased a Moto G6 Plus (international model) phone for use here in the U.S.  I have AT&T as my wireless carrier.  The phone is mostly working fine, and my G6 Plus was recently updated on Android 9.

The one thing (so far) that I cannot seem to set up is Hotspot and Tethering.  I was going to set up my phone as a Hotspot so that I can have another device connect to it when WiFi isn't available.  I have seen the documented steps on how to turn on Hotspot & Tethering in Settings.

However, under Settings --> Network & internet, Hotspot and tethering is Off and it is grayed out.  There is no toggle to switch it on. 

I made sure that I have turned WiFi off first. 

I have also tried moving my SIM card to the SIM slot 1 and 2 and the same issue exists.

I did not try enable hotspot and tethering prior to the Android 9 update so I don't know if it was working in Android 8.

Have anyone run into this issue?  Was this problem caused by the Android Pie update, or is this feature unsupported by AT&T (being a non-US model phone?  Any help is appreciated. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 367
Message 2 of 17

Re: Moto G6 Plus can't turn on hotspot and tethering

Hi Jaygee33,

Welcome to Forums,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We also appreciate your workaround to resolve the Hotspot issue. We request you to try these below checkpoints & let us know.

1. Tap on Settings>>System>>Advanced>>Reset options>>Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth>>Reset settings. (Reboot the device)

2. Performing the External Reset the would be the next logical action.

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support

Acp2
What's DOS?
Views: 332
Message 3 of 17

I have the very same problem, and already tried suggestion #1 (didn't work). Isn't there any option other than the external reset? 

Jaygee33
Blue Screen Again
Views: 302
Message 4 of 17

Hello Acp2. Do you also have AT&T as your carrier by chance?
Jaygee33
Blue Screen Again
Views: 301
Message 5 of 17

Hello Agent_Nikh, I tried suggestion #1 and this did not resolve the issue.
The external reset is a bit more involved and I need to ensure I have all my data backed up, so I will wait on doing this over the weekend. Also, it doesn't sound like it will surely fix the issue, I would love to hear from others on whether this suggestion helped resolve a similar issue on their phone.
Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 290
Message 6 of 17

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 272
Message 7 of 17

@Jaygee33 wrote:
Hello Agent_Nikh, I tried suggestion #1 and this did not resolve the issue.
The external reset is a bit more involved and I need to ensure I have all my data backed up, so I will wait on doing this over the weekend. Also, it doesn't sound like it will surely fix the issue, I would love to hear from others on whether this suggestion helped resolve a similar issue on their phone.

This thread is marked as solved, and the solution comes from the carrier.  Did you see the solution?  

Typically, if you have an unlimited data plan, the carrier turns off hotspot/tethering, because you could use a pretty big chunk of data on devices that aren't on an AT&T plan, like your laptop, tablet, other phones, etc.  If you purchase data by the gigabyte, they keep tethering/hotspot turned on, because if you use up your allotment, you can buy more.

I don't know if this is your problem, but if you haven't discussed the issue with your carrier, maybe a conversation with them might clear things up.

Hockey216
What's DOS?
Views: 220
Message 8 of 17

No we did NOT see carrier solution. it is Not Solved. We are all having this no hotspot problem since lousy Android update. Moto and ATT are both useless and refuse to help. re post carrier solution email to me please

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 215
Message 9 of 17

US carriers have a bad habit of holding back features on unlocked phones with no carrier branding.

Unlimited data on a non-carrier branded phone represents a real potential loss of revenue for the carrier.  When you pay for a specific amount of data, the carrier isn't concerned about tethering/hotspot because you're already obligated to pay at least a certain amount.  If you go over, you pay, or you get throttled back to painfully slow speeds.

Contact your carrier to make sure your account is properly configured for the plan you have.  If it is, and it still isn't working, then the phone may need to be serviced.

Let us know...

G6Intl
Paper Tape
Views: 210
Message 10 of 17

Top Kudoed Authors