Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jaygee33
Blue Screen Again
Views: 653
Message 11 of 19

Re: Moto G6 Plus can't turn on hotspot and tethering

G6Intl, Thanks for providing a link to the temporary workaround. This worked for me! This leads me to also think this problem was introduced with the Pie update, as tinnickels indicated he had it working on Oreo on the same phone.
My hotspot was working on my Moto G4 Plus before I got the G6 Plus in late December. At least I can do this workaround until there is a Pie update to fix this for Moto phones.
Jaygee33
Blue Screen Again
Views: 656
Message 12 of 19

Hockey216, I also don't agree with the assessment that this is issue is carrier based. I had the same SIM on my Moto G4 Plus and hotspot worked there. Follow the link that G6Intl provided for a temporary workaround, it worked for me!
G6Intl
Paper Tape
Views: 650
Message 13 of 19

JayGee, ur welcome, TinNickels came to the same solution as I did.  A Moderator in here says there is a permanent solution but I haven't found it.  Anyone see it? 

G6Intl
Paper Tape
Views: 648
Message 14 of 19

Hotspot worked on my G6 before the Pie update as well.  The same Sim Card can create a hotspot in my Samsung A7 and my Sony Experia, both running Oreo. This is definitely a result of the update.  

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 640
Message 15 of 19

I'm glad you were able to find a workaround. However, provisioning is handled by the carrier. Also, there is nothing we did to prevent users from using hotspot. That being said, the Moto G6 Plus was never intended to be sold or used in the US. We can not guarantee support or compatibility with any US carrier. If you purchased the phone from Amazon and the listing was misleading then please share the link with me and we will take a look. 

-Tom

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
G6Intl
Paper Tape
Views: 636
Message 16 of 19

That's a great "company line" Motorola Tom but it does not explain why hotspot worked prior to the update nor does it reconcile the fact that the same Sim card that doesn't work on the G6 works just fine on Samsung and Sony phones.  Further, if it were merely a provisioning issue why would the workaround be successful? Consider the fact that AT&T says it's not them doing it, and you've got some 'splainin' to do to convince me that this isn't a Pie update problem.  

Hockey216
What's DOS?
Views: 622
Message 17 of 19

Amazon ad wasn't misleading I don't think. It was their prime fullfillment one. It said international version (no warranty) and disclosed didn't work on CDMA Sprint Verizon, but said it worked on GSM at&t and t mobile. This is accurate because G6 plus works on att and t mobile but not Sprint Verizon. I meant that you (not Amazon) is misleading selling Hotspot capable phones and letting it's ability to hotspot be lost in updates. Please fix issue. At&t is one of largest telecommunications companies in world. Update destroying their ability to hotspot is going to upset many consumers. ATT reset my hotspot ability turned off and on tried all troubleshoot steps, but nothing worked. Hotspot worked fine on ATT prior to Oreo. My new t mobile sim can hotspot  (mint just bought one from super bowl ad had to switch from at&t family plan because hotspot only works on t mobile now after pie update. I just meant it was BS that I bought a hotspot capable phone that updates to no hotspot on at&t right at time 30 day return policy expires. Hotspot works on t mobile i just bought sim card tried it out. It's just BS that at&t (who I have family plan with) isn't hotspot capable anymore thanks to pie. Amazon ad didn't say here not there about hotspot being impacted by pie. I just meant it's misleading that Moto says g6 can hotspot but it can't on ATT (although works fine on network otherwise and can hotspot on t mobile i just learned from experiment by switching). Hopefully I get to keep my number by switching and can get reception everywhere with t mobile because I travel hours every day for work and now have to be on inferior network just to hotspot, and as self employed I will lose all expenses and not get paid if phone no service. Thanks for making everyone on at&t switch to t mobile by having pie destroy att's hotspot. How much is t mobile paying u? Ur bringing them lots of customers (everyone who bought a G6 plus on ATT in us who needs to hotspot). Is t mobile cutting u in? Fix hotspot on ATT in USA. It doesn't matter what country u intended to sell it in. U have many US customers who are buying G6 plus every day because it works on ATT and T mobile (2 of largest networks). G6 is advertised as hotspot capable. Therefore u need to fix phone when hotspot breaks from update. If u intended for sale in many other countries and would fix if issues there, how do u say won't fix if breaks in USA? Your update destroyed my phone and will cause me lost income for all work performed in areas where ATT gets service but not T mobile because I had to switch. Fix it, so I can get back on my family plan (which is as cheap as t mobile because we have 6 lines, so I'm just going to inferior network without much savings because their hotspot wasn't destroyed by pie like u did for ATT. I hope T mobile is paying u hefty sum of $ for bringing them lots of new customers by shutting off ATT hotspot to give them exclusivity on a properly working phone. 

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 574
Message 18 of 19

Hi.

I think Tom correctly explained this. You are attempting an unsupported use case. We don't test for this and we don't consider it when we make changes and updates. Our phones are built to work in the countries where they are intended for sale -- anything else is gravy. And though AT&T has denied responsibility, it's even possible that they took steps to block this feature on these devices. I really doubt we deliberately made this change, but again -- we would not have considered it.

If you feel there is a misleading listing, we're glad to chase those down if you provide the link. However, it's been said that the site said "no warranty" and that means no repair and no support outside of the country of intended sale.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
cbcalhoun
Paper Tape
Views: 510
Message 19 of 19

Maybe you need to shut this seller down. I have two phones from this seller now that I cannot use hotspots on. I am out the money spent had I known I wouldn't have bought them from them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Moto-G6-Plus-XT1926-6-Dual-Sim-FACTORY-UNLOCKED-5-9-64GB-4GB-RAM/1...

Top Kudoed Authors