Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephan1959
Paper Tape
Views: 3,286
Message 3 of 74

Moto G6 Plus crashing after Pie Update

Hello everyone,
like other members, I experience lots of crashes after updating to Android 9 on my Moto G6 plus.
My phone is unusable because of this, because it'll crash several times in rapid succession without giving me the chance to use it properly.
I've already tried to use the safety mode, but the crashes happen regardless.
I also did a hard reset and skipped all the introductory steps, but the same problem appears. I also don't use an external SD card.
Has anyone heard of a solution for this problem?
Keep in mind, the phone worked perfectly fine before the update, so I'd rule out any physical problems.

Edit: Specified the Phone Model in the Title - Rich

porfidax
What's DOS?
Views: 2,282
Message 1 of 74

Moto G6 Plus android 9 randomly reboots

Hello
I updated my moto g6 plus (xt1926-3) to android 9 and it started rebooting randomly every now and then.
i reinstalled the PPW29.116-16 version with the lenovo moto smart assistant tool, but my phone still keeps rebooting.
is there any solution to this issue?
thank you.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,223
Message 2 of 74

Re: Moto G6 Plus android 9 randomly reboots

@porfidax wrote:

Hello
I updated my moto g6 plus (xt1926-3) to android 9 and it started rebooting randomly every now and then.
i reinstalled the PPW29.116-16 version with the lenovo moto smart assistant tool, but my phone still keeps rebooting.
is there any solution to this issue?
thank you.

Hi porfidax,

Thanks for reporting, sorry for the trouble. Let me try to help. However, we do not recommend downgrading the software on your own—rather having Service/Repair Centers do it. 

Quickly, can we test your device in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up " Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up. Reboot your device to get back to the 'Normal Mode'. Let us know how this goes?

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,229
Message 4 of 74

Re: Phone crashing after Pie Update

@stephan1959 wrote:

Hello everyone,
like other members, I experience lots of crashes after updating to Android 9 on my Moto G6 plus.
My phone is unusable because of this, because it'll crash several times in rapid succession without giving me the chance to use it properly.
I've already tried to use the safety mode, but the crashes happen regardless.
I also did a hard reset and skipped all the introductory steps, but the same problem appears. I also don't use an external SD card.
Has anyone heard of a solution for this problem?
Keep in mind, the phone worked perfectly fine before the update, so I'd rule out any physical problems.

So you reset, setup the phone as new, and now with no apps installed other then what ships with the OS, it still crashes? Which apps are crashing?

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
stephan1959
Paper Tape
Views: 3,224
Message 5 of 74

Yes, you are correct. It is no app that crashes on its own, it's the whole phone that shuts down repeatedly.
Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 3,216
Message 6 of 74

@stephan1959 wrote:
Yes, you are correct. It is no app that crashes on its own, it's the whole phone that shuts down repeatedly.

It might just be some sort of corruption on the phone. If a factory reset did not fix it, then you might have to visit a repair center to have the phone checked. However, I'd like to check some things form my side. Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems. Also, can you please provide a bug report. Steps below.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go in to the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable Usb debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
6. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
7. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply or via a private message.
8. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

-Tom

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
stephan1959
Paper Tape
Views: 3,207
Message 7 of 74

The setting on my profile should be updated now, you can look into my apps, but keep in mind that I only have the apps installed which ship with the system.
I'm working on the bug report, but the phone crashes before I can upload it.
stephan1959
Paper Tape
Views: 3,202
Message 8 of 74

Ok, I managed to gather the bug report, I hope it is of use to you.
Right before the bug report the phone crashed several times to the blue moto introduction screen, with and without any input from my side.
<Removed link for privacy>

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,185
Message 9 of 74

One other thing to try is to reboot without SIM card and SD card (I know you said no SD card)

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
stephan1959
Paper Tape
Views: 3,175
Message 10 of 74

I tried it without the SIM card (getting ready to get it repared) after the phone being shut down for a while, it seemed a lot more stable for like 5-10 minutes, but then it started crashing again in the same fashion.
Top Kudoed Authors