Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elving
Fanfold Paper
Views: 409
Message 61 of 69

Re: Moto G6 Plus crashing after Pie Update

I don't think it's software related sorry to say.
My Moto P 6 plus has got new motherboard and battery and has been working for over a week without restarting, crashing. It seems to work perfect with andriod 9.
The workshop that repaired my phone on warranty said it was a hardware failure on the phone.

RS468
Paper Tape
Views: 398
Message 62 of 69

Re: Moto G6 Plus crashing after Pie Update

I don't discount that you had a hardware fault but I suspect that with Android 9 Google are making a hardware call at the device driver level to the MicroSD card for either the secure part or they have changed the API and a rogue App is storing information incorrectly. It's too consistent to be a general hardware error. I worked with a company years ago where I identified a hardware fault on a small number of devices which was masking a much bigger fault elsewhere.

RS468
Paper Tape
Views: 400
Message 63 of 69

Re: Phone crashing after Pie Update

The phone has been stable since I removed the MicroSD card. Is there a recommended performance that any card should meet? 170Mb read speed etc?
RS468
Paper Tape
Views: 360
Message 64 of 69

After 24 hours of a stable phone - no MicroSD card - I installed a 32Gb card formatted with FAT32. Another 24 hours of stability suggested that the Micros**t proprietary exFAT might be the culprit. I reformatted the original 128Gb SD card to FAT32, copied all my data back onto the card - and lo, the phone has been stable for another 24 hours. 

So with an exFAT SD card - 1 hour or so before it randomly reboots (multiple cards, multiple speeds, multiple suppliers).

With FAT32 - stable for 72 hours

Maybe, just maybe, its that P.O.S. from Micros**t.

Anyway, I'm happy again.

RS468
Paper Tape
Views: 309
Message 65 of 69

Well, another update on the Moto G6 Unreliable.

Yes, using FAT32 for the MicroSD card does make it more stable. However... I have three scenarios where I can make the phone crash - although the software that monitors the phone doesn't see it as a reboot. It seems to sense it as a UI reset? A bit like you get with Windows Explorer sometimes.

So:

1 - Setting Udemy to store downloads on the MicroSD card, and then requesting a download, causes the phone to crash within a short period of time.

2 - Duolingo seems prone to  resetting the UI after 30 mins use. This has happened repeatedly so it's not a one-off.

3 - I don't know if there is a thermal cut-off but something is running in the background which makes the phone run at 45C plus - and then...

I'm convinced there is something inherently wrong with Android Pie. Multiple Apps having problems just isn't right.

Since I use Udemy and Duolingo a lot, and as I haven't been able to nail down the app that's making the phone overheat, I'll be buying a new phone on Amazon Prime weekend. And a phone that I won't be upgrading to Android 9.

RS468
Paper Tape
Views: 237
Message 66 of 69

The continuing saga of the Moto G6 Plus may be resolved.

Having lost complete faith I investigated the switch to a new phone. Step 1 - backup the Moto G6. When I went to the settings/backup option I found it was already on. Google (who I've long suspected of being a front for the CIA) was hoovering up all my data and storing it online. I assume that's the default for every Android user. I wonder where they are storing the unencrypted data (unencrypted to the US government that is)? Given the secret courts in the USA which allows the Pentagon to read everything (the Chinese government only learnt from Uncle Sam)... would anyone trust Google. And does the EU know where the data is stored? Anyway, I noticed that the last random reboot coincided with the last upload - which was only done when on Wifi. I switched the Backup off and wondered about a possible link between wifi and the random crashes.

I started checking the Wifi settings. First - Wifi Preferences. It was switching the Wifi on automatically when it decided to? I switched that one off.

What else was Wifi doing? I looked in the Advanced option. Private DNS is on - a feature added to Android 9... now I wonder. Do you know what that Private DNS does. It allows Google to use their DNS servers to feed Android users spoofed website addresses. Uncle Sam can direct users traffic through their networks. I switched that one off as well.

I haven't had any issues since. Nada. Nothing. And the phone runs a lot cooler. The Private DNS probably explains why it was so slow when I was using a VPN - which those dumb-assed red-necked s**tkickers at the Pentagon wouldn't have liked.

I don't know about Huawei having backdoors into their software but it looks like Google has built a very public backdoor into Android 9 and no one noticed.

China - look and learn.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 230
Message 67 of 69

@RS468 wrote:

The continuing saga of the Moto G6 Plus may be resolved.

Having lost complete faith I investigated the switch to a new phone. Step 1 - backup the Moto G6. When I went to the settings/backup option I found it was already on. Google (who I've long suspected of being a front for the CIA) was hoovering up all my data and storing it online. I assume that's the default for every Android user. I wonder where they are storing the unencrypted data (unencrypted to the US government that is)? Given the secret courts in the USA which allows the Pentagon to read everything (the Chinese government only learnt from Uncle Sam)... would anyone trust Google. And does the EU know where the data is stored? Anyway, I noticed that the last random reboot coincided with the last upload - which was only done when on Wifi. I switched the Backup off and wondered about a possible link between wifi and the random crashes.

I started checking the Wifi settings. First - Wifi Preferences. It was switching the Wifi on automatically when it decided to? I switched that one off.

What else was Wifi doing? I looked in the Advanced option. Private DNS is on - a feature added to Android 9... now I wonder. Do you know what that Private DNS does. It allows Google to use their DNS servers to feed Android users spoofed website addresses. Uncle Sam can direct users traffic through their networks. I switched that one off as well.

I haven't had any issues since. Nada. Nothing. And the phone runs a lot cooler. The Private DNS probably explains why it was so slow when I was using a VPN - which those dumb-assed red-necked rs at the Pentagon wouldn't have liked.

I don't know about Huawei having backdoors into their software but it looks like Google has built a very public backdoor into Android 9 and no one noticed.

China - look and learn.

Although private dns settings could be related to your slow VPN, your description of what it does is not correct. It does not enable google dns servers at all. It is a security enhancement, and can even remove your ISP dns servers from the loop. But here is a good description: https://blog.cloudflare.com/enable-private-dns-with-1-1-1-1-on-android-9-pie/

Also, if you are worried about privacy, hopefully you are not using a free VPN service - they are likely spying on you too. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
RS468
Paper Tape
Views: 76
Message 68 of 69

A private DNS takes all my requests for websites and gives me the IP address. If you know what I'm looking for and you know my ID... It allows the owner of the DNS service to potentially collect meta data...

Anyway, I eventually gave up on the Moto G6 and bought a Samsung. Three weeks on and not a single crash. Shame, and I so wanted to like the Moto.

Interesting rider. The Samsung did not have the "Find open Wifi", "Automatic backup" or the "Private DNS" options enabled. Maybe the snooping wasn't the idiots in the USA... It was Beijing. Now there's a smoking gun for The Donald... Lenovo capturing the meta data for all Lenovo phone users.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 49
Message 69 of 69

@RS468 wrote:

A private DNS takes all my requests for websites and gives me the IP address. If you know what I'm looking for and you know my ID... It allows the owner of the DNS service to potentially collect meta data...

Anyway, I eventually gave up on the Moto G6 and bought a Samsung. Three weeks on and not a single crash. Shame, and I so wanted to like the Moto.

Interesting rider. The Samsung did not have the "Find open Wifi", "Automatic backup" or the "Private DNS" options enabled. Maybe the snooping wasn't the idiots in the USA... It was Beijing. Now there's a smoking gun for The Donald... Lenovo capturing the meta data for all Lenovo phone users.

Certainly a conspiracy that sounds like something the Donald would promote - but no. This is default google Android - check out a Pixel. 

You should read the link above on Private DNS - it is a way to add privacy, not take it away. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Top Kudoed Authors