Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrogFan
Punch Card
Views: 9,637
Message 1 of 33

Moto G6 Shows "Time and Weather Running" notification after update

I just updated my phone today to PPSS29.118-15-11-5.  The update seemed to go well, but I noticed that I'm now getting a notification that "Time and Weather is Running" in the notification bar.  I was not getting this notification before the update.  It's annoying and I don't need to see it.  I know the app is running because I have the time and weather displayed on my home screen.

I just looked up the Time and Weather app and turned off notifications.  It seemed to have no effect except to disable the notifications in the notification bar, but I thought I'd check here to see if anything else might be going on.

I was very nervous about applying this update because of the mess that the Android 9 update created for me.  I "fixed" that and I sure don't want to have to "fix" something again.

Thanks for any help.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 9,555
Message 2 of 33

Re: Moto G6 Shows "Time and Weather Running" notification after update

@FrogFan wrote:

I just updated my phone today to PPSS29.118-15-11-5.  The update seemed to go well, but I noticed that I'm now getting a notification that "Time and Weather is Running" in the notification bar.  I was not getting this notification before the update.  It's annoying and I don't need to see it.  I know the app is running because I have the time and weather displayed on my home screen.

I just looked up the Time and Weather app and turned off notifications.  It seemed to have no effect except to disable the notifications in the notification bar, but I thought I'd check here to see if anything else might be going on.

I was very nervous about applying this update because of the mess that the Android 9 update created for me.  I "fixed" that and I sure don't want to have to "fix" something again.

Thanks for any help.

Hi FrogFan,

Thanks for posting! Could you please share a screenshot of the notification you are getting? Let us have a look at it for better understanding and further assistance.

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

EmmCee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,540
Message 3 of 33

I had the same problem with my Moto G7. Unfortunately, after turning my phone off/on again yesterday, my circular screen time/weather/battery widget has now disappeared completely and no longer even exists when I look for it. I even tried to reinstall it but my google drive simply told me that there was an issue. AAARGH!!!!!

Emm

FrogFan
Punch Card
Views: 9,531
Message 4 of 33

Here are three screenshots.  First the home screen with the notification "dot" showing in the notification bar:

Screenshot_20200117-081740.png

Second, on swiping down, you can see the notification message:

Screenshot_20200117-081756.png

Finally, to turn the notification on or off, go to "Settings" and search for "Time and Weather" and tap on the app.  You get this screen to turn the notification on or off:

Screenshot_20200117-081903.png

I did not get notifications from this app before the update.  Now, if I leave them on, the "dot" appears in the notification bar any time I switch between applications.  It remains there for about 2 seconds and disappears, then reappears again when I change apps again.  If I turn the notifications off, they do go away, but I wonder why this update changed one of my settings.

Thank you for any help.

FrogFan
Punch Card
Views: 9,530
Message 5 of 33

@EmmCee, Now I'm afraid to reboot my phone, lest this app disappear for me too! Was the time/weather/battery widget there after the phone rebooted after your phone updated? Mine is still there.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 9,512
Message 6 of 33

Hi,

Thanks for trying some troubleshooting. Can you please try these followings:

Settings > Apps > Tap on 3 verical dots > Show System > Time & Weather > Force Stop > Disable and Re-enable > Storage > Clear Storage

Let me know if that helps. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

FrogFan
Punch Card
Views: 9,507
Message 7 of 33

I did as you described and now I have no time and weather widget!  I restarted the phone and it's still not showing.  Any more ideas?

FrogFan
Punch Card
Views: 9,505
Message 8 of 33

Sorry.  I long pressed on the home screen and added the time and weather widget (which looked to be greyed out), but that did add back the widget.

That said, the app is still notifiying me that its running, so the fix really did nothing.  I can go back and disable notifications again, but that still doesn't answer the question of why did this update change the settings for that app?

tcfritz
Paper Tape
Views: 9,497
Message 9 of 33

I am having the same problem. I get this “Time and weather is running” notification every time I log into my phone or whenever I go to the Home screen. In other words, I get this notification about every 5 seconds. Unacceptable.

Additionally, I want "Time and Weather" to be running because I use it all the time. I just don't want to be notified 10,000 times a day that it's running.

Lastly, "Time and Weather" is not necessarily an app. I don't see it in my list of apps. Even if I did, I don't want to disable it. As far as I know, "Time and Weather" is a widget that came pre-installed on the Moto G6.

I realize this is likely a new issue related to the recent scecuriy update, but someone needs to find a fix for it because it is driving those of us affected crazy!

Thanks!!

Tim

UncleMole
Highlighted
FrogFan
Punch Card
Views: 9,495
Message 10 of 33

@Tim, Go to Settings>Apps and Notifications>See all xx apps. Then tap the three dots and tap "Show System". Scroll down to "Time and Weather". Tap Time and Weather>Notifications, then switch notifications off. The widget will still run, but you won't get the constant notifications that it's running.

Again, I'm curious why this setting got changed in the update process and, by implication, what else might have been changed without our knowledge

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors