Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChasCoop
Fanfold Paper
Views: 370
Message 1 of 8

Moto G6 Signal vs Moto G4 Signal :(

Just unboxed and set-up my Moto G6. Have it sitting on the desk next to my wife's Moto G4. Her G4 has all the bars solid while my "new" G6 is slowly fluctuating between 1 bar and solid bars. We both have service through Consumer Cellular (AT&T network).

Originally, I also had a Moto G4 and strong signal strength... which I dropped. It died and the G6 is the (2nd) replacement phone. The first replacement was a "reconditioned" Moto G6...which had the same reception problem and was sent back. 

When I spoke to the Motorola rep about the first phone their main question was whether there were problems with calls being dropped or the quality of the call itself. On the "reconditioned" G6 there would be calls from friends that I did not get and did not show on my "recent" call history. There would be Voicemail notifications that did not show up on the phone until days later... with no record of a missed call. 

I like the features on the G6 but it's suppose to be a phone 1st. Am I possibly missing something?

Thanks.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 348
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moto G6 Signal vs Moto G4 Signal :(

@ChasCoop wrote:

Just unboxed and set-up my Moto G6. Have it sitting on the desk next to my wife's Moto G4. Her G4 has all the bars solid while my "new" G6 is slowly fluctuating between 1 bar and solid bars. We both have service through Consumer Cellular (AT&T network).

Originally, I also had a Moto G4 and strong signal strength... which I dropped. It died and the G6 is the (2nd) replacement phone. The first replacement was a "reconditioned" Moto G6...which had the same reception problem and was sent back. 

When I spoke to the Motorola rep about the first phone their main question was whether there were problems with calls being dropped or the quality of the call itself. On the "reconditioned" G6 there would be calls from friends that I did not get and did not show on my "recent" call history. There would be Voicemail notifications that did not show up on the phone until days later... with no record of a missed call. 

I like the features on the G6 but it's suppose to be a phone 1st. Am I possibly missing something?

Thanks.

Have you checked with your carrier about a new SIM card? sometimes newer phones are counting on a newer sim version of sim card. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
ChasCoop
Fanfold Paper
Views: 345
Message 3 of 8

Haven't, but I'll certainly give them a call. Thanks.

ChasCoop
Fanfold Paper
Views: 270
Message 4 of 8

Okay this is an up-date. I spoke to my carrier and they had me power down the phone while they loaded something that would help the connction with the towers(?). Whatever it was it appeared to help. The mobile signal was solid bars and steady. 

After a couple of days I noticed I was not getting responses to my text messages anymore. I could receive but when I replied they weren't receiving the text (tried it to my wife's phone to make sure). Contacted carrier and they reloaded a program that seems to have stopped working for some reason. Texting worked!

(Same day) Noticed the signal was fluctuating again. Contacted carrier. First they said something along the lines of it being a problem because my phone was not one I had purchased from them (although they have a bring your own policy that they push). Next they checked the tower coverage area and said I was in an area with weak coverage. That's when I told them I had my wifes phone was sitting next to mine and her's was solid reception while mine was fluctuating as we spoke.

They then said I had two options: 1) Do a complete reboot. or 2) They could connect Android phones to both AT&T and T-Mobile towers and I assume hope the dual coverage might help.

Before I could commit they finally went back to the SIM card possiblity (which I had mentioned in my first contact). I swapped SIM cards with my wife's phone. My Moto G6 had fluctuating signal with her SIM and her phone had solid signal with my SIM.

I'm retired and tech left me behind awhile back. I'm not totally ignorent when it comes to digital technology but applying my logic to this problem only confuses me. I felt that some of the information I was getting from the carrier was directed at getting me to purchase a phone through them. Then when the SIM card didn't appear to be connected to the signal problem, I'm back to thinking it's the phone. 

I need to make a move. Sending the phone back seems to be the best move to make, but then I have to decide whether I want a refund and purchase a phone through my carrier (which I'm not crazy about because of the selection and price) or whether to exchange and see if it's just this G6. 

I know that's a lot of information, but I willing to listen to anything anyone can contribute.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 262
Message 5 of 8

Hi ChasCoop,

Thanks for the update. I know how inconvenient this must be for you, allow us to see what we can do to help. Can you send us a private message along with your physical address and the make model of your wife's phone? Also, please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Regards,
May
Moto Support

ChasCoop
Fanfold Paper
Views: 217
Message 6 of 8

I've update the information and sent you a message containing the additional information. Thanks for your assistence. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 184
Message 7 of 8

Hi ChasCoop,

I appreciate all the information. We'll be looking into this deeper and get back to you once we have more details. In the meantime, let us know if you have other questions.

Regards,
May
Moto Support

ChasCoop
Fanfold Paper
Views: 120
Message 8 of 8

It's been a week with no additional information from agents. 

My "return" period is about to end, so I think at this point I'm going to assume it's the phone and make the return.

I was impressed with the quick initial responses, but I'm a little disappointed in the silence that has followed. Any update would have been appreciated.

Problem not resolved.

Top Kudoed Authors