Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RickL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,641
Message 1 of 17

Moto G6 Update Question

Hello! 

I own a Moto G6 that I purchased from Best Buy in Dec 2018 (sold as "unlocked") and activated on Verizon.  I just received an update today (June 11, 2019) for February 2019 security patch level.  Before today, the Android security patch level was Jan 2019. Does that sound right?  What version should my Moto G6 be running?

My phone settings shows retus as the software channel.  The phone is running Android 8.0.0. The Motorola website also contains release notes on security updates through May 2019, so I tried chatting Motorola support, but they referred me here. They also claimed it was my carrier's responsibility for updates...which seems questionable. 

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rick

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,574
Message 2 of 17

Moto G6 Update Question

Hi RickL,

Thanks for posting. We can check if your phone is on the current software update. Please update your profile with the current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. 

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

RickL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,556
Message 3 of 17

Moto G6 Update Question

Hi Zeke,

Thanks for the help!  I have updated my profile as requested, including the serial number. Please let me know if I missed anything. 

Thanks!

Rick

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,545
Message 4 of 17

Moto G6 Update Question

Hi RickL,

The Android Pie Update is not yet fully deployed for the Moto G6 US retail version. However, your phone should be updated to OPSS27.104-92-6 which is the March security update.  Can you try updating your phone and see if the software update is available.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

RickL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,530
Message 5 of 17

Moto G6 Update Question

Hi Zeke,

I've checked for updates on my phone, but it shows up to date with a security patch level of February 2019. I've attached a photo for reference. Please let me know if I'm missing anything. 

Rick

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,521
Message 6 of 17

Moto G6 Update Question

Hi RickL,

Thank you for sending the screenshot. You are already on the latest version software update available which also came in with the February Security patch. You are not missing anything here since your phone is up to date. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Highlighted
RickL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,469
Message 7 of 17

Moto G6 Update Question

Zeke - I'm curious why I only received the update on June 11th when the maintenance release notes on the Motorola website were dated March 6 2019. If the retus software channel that behind?  Should I expect a 3 month lag with my updates?  I've included a link below to the Motorola website.

March 9 - https://support.motorola.com/us/en/Solution/MS138868

That same site contains similar release notes for the April and May 2019 security patches for the Moto G6. 

I'm asking because my IT organization at work suggested I reach out to you.  They've told me I can't utilize apps to access my work account since the security patches on my phone are out of date (greater than 90 days). 

Thanks,

Rick

bassman99
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,368
Message 8 of 17

Moto G6 Update Question

Isn't Android Pie supposed to be out for the Verizon Moto G6?  I have the Verizon Moto G6, but have not yet received Android Pie...

...still on the March 31 Android 8 patch.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,336
Message 9 of 17

Moto G6 Update Question

@RickL I do understand how important for you to access your work account from your phone, but the software you're currently on is the latest one available for your phone right now. We are working hard to provide software updates to eligible devices as quickly as possible. We will be sure to pass your feedback along.

@bassman99 Android Pie has not yet released yet for Moto G6 Verizon. You will receive a notification once the Android Pie update is ready. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

bassman99
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,276
Message 10 of 17

Moto G6 Update Question

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Verizon-Moto-G6-Android-9.0-Pie-update_id116636

Previously, the Verizon G6 update page indicated Android Pie was available.  Now, the page only references the prior secutity update.

I guess some G6s were getting “bricked”... :-)

Top Kudoed Authors