Re: Moto G6: Wifi disconnects and reconnects frequently

Mine disconnects frequently too.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 865
Message 102 of 137

Hi AuatinC

Thanks for posting and I understand your sentiments about this concern. You can contact the support team in your region for the warranty options that they can offer for your device. Kindly check this link for their contact details. Let us know if you have other questions.

Hi GamesWithSpawn,

Thanks for reaching out, allow us to help. Could you please try the steps suggested above this thread to fix the concern? Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
May
Moto Support

OzzyGeoff
Blue Screen Again
Views: 822
Message 103 of 137

Re: Moto G6: Wifi disconnects and reconnects frequently SOLVED for me

My BT router has the same Wireless Network Name for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but different channels. It is called a smart connection.  G6 does not like two channels on same Wireless Network Name.

I went to the router and could split this to two Wireless Network Names one for 2.4GHz (left as is) then changed the name of the 5GHz Connection (added -5 to end).

Rebooted phone and NO MORE ISSUES!!

Need to change all my 5GHz devices to the new Name, but PROBLEM SOLVED for me.

OzzyGeoff
Blue Screen Again
Views: 820
Message 104 of 137

My BT router has the same Wireless Network Name for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but different channels. It is called a smart connection.  I do not think that the G6 copes with two channels on the same Wireless Network Name.

I went to the router and could split this to two Wireless Network Names one for 2.4GHz (left as is) then changed the name of the 5GHz Connection (added -5 to end).

Rebooted phone and NO MORE ISSUES!!

Need to change all my 5GHz devices to the new Name, but PROBLEM SOLVED for me.

Sound similar to above but did not need two routers

charlesboshell
What's DOS?
Views: 754
Message 105 of 137

Hi, I just purchased a g6 and experienced the same issue at home, but not at work. I switched from the 5 ghz connection to the 2.4 ghz connection on my router and no longer experience the issue. 

Chunder8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 698
Message 106 of 137

Re: G6 updated to android 8.0.0, cannot maintain connection to wifi at home

Is the reason you want us to send a private message so everyone can’t see that you guys completely ignore the problem?  I sent what you requested in a private message almost 3 months ago and have not heard a thing.  I even got a different service provider, because I read on another site that T-Mobile’s settings may have caused an issue with WiFi, but nope, it’s just a problem with Motorola.  I also love that I get an ad daily trying to sell me the Moto G7, when there is no possible way I will ever buy another Motorola, especially if this is their idea of customer service.

Duggythethuggy
What's DOS?
Views: 633
Message 107 of 137

Re: Wifi disconnects and reconnects frequently

It's disconnecting while both browsing and streaming, and after using multiple devices and switching routers the only common variable left with the disconnecting is still the phone, I also had the same problem with the g5, I notice it happens more frequently when the screen goes off as well which is a pain when streaming music

Gee5
What's DOS?
Views: 587
Message 108 of 137

Hello,

Ive made this account especially so I could share my simple but perhaps difficult solution.

After struggling with this trouble wich seems identical to what is described here where my phone would try to connect and the result was a brief connect whereafter it would then disconnect, I’ve found out that my Motorola Moto G6 Plus likes “802.11 Only” mode from my wifi router. The VDSL router I use is a “Zyxel 'removed'”.

I use WPA2-PSK security.

I was using 802.11b/g/n mixed mode with WPA-PSK security. That solved my problems earlier on when I encountered connectivity problems. In mixed mode I seem to have this trouble with the phone, so I switched security mode for more compatibility. But today I wanted to upgrade my security and still able to connect my phone. I watched a video on youtube where ìt was explained that some devices like a certain connect mode better than others.

I switched to 802.11n only mode on my Zyxel router and now I’m connecting properly, more reliably and faster with still a 72Mbits/s bandwidth over 2.4Ghz and WPA2-PSK security.

It works with 802.11b only mode and with 802.11g only mode aswell, but those modes offer less bandwidth.

So, if you can find your wifi mode selector in your wifi routers webpage, try that and you may have succes. I hope this has contributed and I wish you a good day. Succes and luck!

Thankyou, G

john_chrysostom
Paper Tape
Views: 387
Message 109 of 137

I am experiencing this issue and found that it also affects the Moto G7. The video the other user posted showing WiFi repeatedly going from connected to disconnected and back is exactly what I see. It can happen within 10 feet of an AP. Here's the troubleshooting steps I have tried:

• Disable Bluetooth
  • Disable WiFi and Bluetooth Scanning
  • Forget and re-connect to network
  • Reset all network settings
  • Factory data reset
  • Try a single-band / single-AP network
  • Get a replacement Moto G6
  • Replace the Moto G6 with a Moto G7

I'm sure there's more in there, but that's what comes to mind.

I've observed the issue on 3 different WiFi networks - ASUS router (single-band, single-AP), TP-Link mesh network, and Ruckus corporate mesh network. As stated before, it will happen within feet of the AP with excellent signal strength.

I have also tried doing a factory data reset on one of the old phones and not installing my apps. In that state, I was unable to re-create the issue. This leads me to believe that an app is responsible, though I have not been able to narrow down which one.

Unfortunately, the list of non-stock apps I use is short and not very exotic:

• Firefox
  • Netflix
  • Amazon Prime Video
  • My Fitness Pal
  • Fitbit
  • Wunderlist
  • Pocket Casts
  • Strava
  • Republic Wireless
  • Republic Anywhere

I don't expect any of these apps to be doing anything particularly out of the ordinary that would mess up WiFi, and yet here we are. These are also all very widely used apps, and there doesn't seem to be a general outcry about them among their users, so it's something particular to the Moto G lineup.

I'm uninstalling everything I can't live without from my new G7 and will report back.

I do have logs and other info that I can share privately, if desired. They show WiFi disconnecting and reconnecting as much as 7 times in 4 minutes.

For what it's worth, this is a serious issue that renders the phone virtually unusable from my perspective. I'm sure others feel the same way. I can see that there's been quite a lot of discussion on here, but not much in the way of solutions from Motorola. Please invest the resources to help us get this sorted out.

Upstatewinds845
Fanfold Paper
Views: 374
Message 110 of 137

I'm also having this issue. I have a old WRT54G router with high gain antenna, that works fine still, I have only G mode enabled, on CH 11. The Motto G 6 will disconnect, and reconnect in a matter of seconds. I'm looking for a reason to upgrade the WIFI router, maybe this is the time. But for what I do, on WIFI, I don't have any issue with laptop, disconnection, so it can't be a router issue.
Motorola G6 Play, Verizon Wireless, Android 8.0.0
Top Kudoed Authors