Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QuietSign
Paper Tape
Views: 3,463
Message 1 of 16

Moto G6 experiencing significant stutter and lag while typing

I got a G6 about two weeks ago, and frequently experienced a stutter/ delay while typing on a keyboard. The screen will freeze for several keystrokes and then either register them all at once or sometimes fail to register. This resulted in many missed strokes, to the point of making the phone unusable while in a hurry. On this same phone, I experienced stuttering with video playback (youtube) despite having buffered the video (connection speed was not an issue), as well as frequent failure to send text messages. I decided to exchange the phone, and am currently on my second G6. I'm still experiencing the stutter issue. It seemed that it was fine out of the box, for a day or two, but then started having the same lagging keyboard issue (haven't used it for video playback yet). Perhaps coincidentally, this was around the time that I updated the system to the latest version. I have installed very few apps from the Play Store; by the time I noticed the issues on the current phone, I had only installed a single app, Twilight (a blue light filter). The issues persist even when the app is closed. 

I have made a post on Reddit's MotoG subreddit as well, where several other users also mentioned the exact same keyboard issue. Does anyone have insight or a fix for this? I'm surprised that I haven't seen more posts about this. I had a G4 for years and never experienced anything like this.

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,406
Message 2 of 16

Re: Moto G6 experiencing significant stutter and lag while typing

After any Android system update I always back up my phones and then do a,"Hard Reset" Factory restore.This means I start fresh and clears the possibility of old data being left on the phone that can impede their correct operation.

I also do this a couple of times a year like a 10,000 mile service for my phones.It's keeps them fast,slick and problem free.

Easy to follow video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOIp-BVK4MY&t=18s

QuietSign
Paper Tape
Views: 3,385
Message 3 of 16

I tried this out- I backed up my phone via Google Cloud, and followed the hard set instructions from the youtube video. This does not appear to make a difference. The stuttering is still present. Any other suggestions? 

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,368
Message 4 of 16

Does it happen  if you try another keyboard from the Playstore,

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=keyboard%20apps&hl=en_GB

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,335
Message 5 of 16

Hi, QuietSign!

Thank you for reaching out to us. I know how inconvenient this must have been for you, let us look into this. Did you install any applications or restore all of your files right after resetting the device to default settings? Also, please make sure that your Gboard app is up to date.

Regards,
May
Moto Support

QuietSign
Paper Tape
Views: 3,320
Message 6 of 16

I tried out Swiftkey, and it appears to be making a marked improvement. Using it for a few minutes, I haven't noticed any issues yet. I'll try it out for a day and then follow up, but tentatively, it seems like the issue was Gboard. Note: I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Gboard (to the latest version) but the issue persists. I'm quite surprised that I haven't seen more forum posts (not limited to just this website's forum) regarding this issue, since it seems to be an Android default app at fault. There were quite a few mentions of Gboard lag about two years ago, but that seemed to have been fixed with an update (the culprit was contact suggestions apparently). 

QuietSign
Paper Tape
Views: 3,321
Message 7 of 16

When I restored the device to the default settings a few days ago, I believe I restored all my files before testing the keyboard.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Gboard to the latest version, but the issue persisted. I tried out SwiftKey and it seems to be working ok, possibly indicating an issue with Gboard.
Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,312
Message 8 of 16

@QuietSign wrote:
When I restored the device to the default settings a few days ago, I believe I restored all my files before testing the keyboard.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Gboard to the latest version, but the issue persisted. I tried out SwiftKey and it seems to be working ok, possibly indicating an issue with Gboard.

I haven't found a Stock Android keyboard yet that I can live with.I don't use,"Swipe" typing so I like and use,"Perfect Keyboard".Suits my needs and I can make the keys bigger for me poor old eyes<grin> Smiley Happy

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,301
Message 9 of 16

That can be one of the possibility, QuietSign. Let's try other steps to fix this. Can you please try to clear the data of the Gboard app? Go to Settings > Apps & Notification > See all XXX apps installed > Gboard and look for Storage. From there, you'll have an option to clear data. Once done, kindly restart the phone. 

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
May
Moto Support

Highlighted
QuietSign
Paper Tape
Views: 3,290
Message 10 of 16

@Agent_May I have followed your instructions with GBoard, and it appears to working fine now, at least in limited testing. The stutter is gone, whereas it was pretty obvious before. I guess the culprit must have been in the app data somewhere. Furthermore, it seems that uninstalling and reinstalling the app caused all the data (that causes the stutter) to be restored, which is why we need to actually go into the settings and clear the storage.

Thank you both very much for your help! I do prefer to keep using Gboard over a 3rd party app due to privacy concerns, so this solution is great for me. 

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors