Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdi000
Punch Card
Views: 584
Message 1 of 14

Moto G6 - extremely slow wifi downloads

Having extremely slow wifi downloads on the 2.4GHz, the connection is good and stable no drops or disconnects.  The g6 uploads faster then downloads which points to an issue.  Very erratic download speeds does not seem to matter how close or far from router.  I tested the Moto g6 beside my Moto x4 in same exact condtions and the Moto x4 has no issues with download speeds.

Hoping for a solution for this as the phone is not great to use with such slow wifi download speed.  No other devices except for the Moto G6 have these issues, including other moto phones.

Have tried :

1. Network setting reset

2. Phone was factory reset without restore 

3. Latest firmware on router

4. Reboot wireless router. 

Moto G6 - May 1,2019 patch  - Build PPS29.118-11-1

Regards

Jason

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 524
Message 2 of 14

Re: Moto G6 - extremely slow wifi downloads

Hi jdi000,

Thank you for reporting, we would like to investigate this further. Could you please help us with Make and model of your router? We are not really convinced at this, just to narrow down--do you have any case on your device? May we also know-- how does it trigger? Like does it happen when;

• When you are using your device?
  • Playing games or using any specific app/settings?
  • Or just kept on table/pocket etc..?
  • Have you tried switching from 2.5Ghz to 5Ghz on your device and router to see if that helps?
  • Please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? Is it okay if we look into your apps to determine what is causing the issue? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

Note: If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Do let us know if you have any questions?

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
jdi000
Punch Card
Views: 496
Message 3 of 14

Router is Netgear Nighthawk R7000, Yes it has a case, and I do not know what triggers the issues as its intermittent.  What is consistant is that the moto g6 has 1/2 to 1/3 the speed of the moto x4 and other devices can this be expected of the g6?    As I have used the following phones g5+, x4, now g6 it is apparent that this g6 is having intermittent wifi speed issues, or when appearing normal the phone underperforms vs the moto x4 in the same environment.

• When you are using your device?   Yes buffering during playback of movies hulu , amazon , slow app store downloads
  • Playing games or using any specific app/settings?  Hulu, Amazon, downloading APP updates from play store very slow at times same distance from router
  • Or just kept on table/pocket etc..?  The examples I mentioned are both the Moto x4 and the Moto G6 side by side same wireless network and the Moto g6 has very slow downloads on 2.4 Ghz, vs the moto x4  sitting about 5 feet from router.
  • Have you tried switching from 2.5Ghz to 5Ghz on your device and router to see if that helps?  The downloads are a little faster on 5GHZ but always 1/3 to 1/2 slower than an older Moto X4 or other brand phones used in the same household
  • Please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? Is it okay if we look into your apps to determine what is causing the issue? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.  Yes, IMEI is already there.

The image I attached in previous post clearly shows the  time that Moto g6 phone has intermittent wifi download speed issues and is 1/2 to 1/3 the speed of the moto x4 device under the exact same conditions other then running the test a few seconds different. 

Regards

Jason

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 422
Message 4 of 14

Hi jdi000,

We would like first to see if this will happen in safe mode. This will help us isolate some third-party apps from running.

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
Just turn off and on the phone to boot back to normal mode.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

jdi000
Punch Card
Views: 418
Message 5 of 14

Hello Rich

When the G6 has the wifi issues , safe mode does not make a difference.  Still same very slow 2.4 ghz speeds happens intermittently.  

The Moto x4 does not display these intermittent issues and it also has 2 to 3 x times the wifi downlaod speeds of the G6 all the time,  I do not think this is normal or expected that G6 has these issues.  I have not seen these type of wifi speed issues on the g5+ , g5s+ or moto x4.

Thanks

Jason

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 384
Message 6 of 14

Thanks for trying safe mode. Let's try to isolate if this is just with your WiFi network. I recommend connecting to another WiFi network and see if you'll get the same download speed. Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

jdi000
Punch Card
Views: 380
Message 7 of 14

Hello Rich

Other devices including Moto x4 (see image in my previous post), moto g5+, and other brand devices have no such issue as the g6 on the same network, sitting in the exact same location.  Why would the network be an issue when no other device has these speed issues.  This has been isolated to the moto g6, having intermittent wifi issues with all other variables the same.  This is an intermittent issue.

Are the wifi radios that much different between moto x4, moto g5+ and moto g6?

Also I have seen the slowdown and stuttering of wifi in the past on other public networks. 

Thanks

Jason

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 336
Message 8 of 14

Hi!

Just wanted to clarify-- may I know if your router is dual-band and maybe the Moto X4 is using 5Ghz and the G6 2.4Ghz -- could be the reason of difference?

To know more click on WiFi on your device> Tap on the network you are connected too > tap on advance to see the frequency and link speed. 

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
jdi000
Punch Card
Views: 326
Message 9 of 14

Hello Swaraj

All the compairsions were done on the 2.4 ghz network for both moto x4 and moto g6, if I use the 5ghz network its the same motog g6 is 1/3 to 1/2 slowere download speed than the moto x4 in the same exact conditions.

The 5.0 ghz network is better than 2.4 for download speed on both phones but the motog g6 still is much slower and has the intermittent slow down happen at least a couple of times a day.  

Thanks

Jason

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 294
Message 10 of 14

Hi jdi000,

We made some testing with the WiFi link speed of the Moto X4 and the Moto G6, and the result was as expected, the Moto X4 has a higher ping rate vs of the Moto G6's ping rate. That is probably the WiFi chipset of both phones are different. Can you please compare your Moto G5 vs Moto G6 instead? Let us know the results. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Top Kudoed Authors