Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flickorz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,159
Message 1 of 11

Moto G6 notifications during sleep

Got my moto g6 amazon exclusive model a few days ago. I started to notice while the phone was just sitting on my desk and gone to sleep / doze? my notifications were not coming through (around 5-10 mins after screen off). Any notifications within that time would be fine. After that if I had any new notifications, I would get them all in one go after I turned the screen on or moved my phone with moto display. (I turned off the motion sensor feature)

Just trying to get an understanding of whats going on. I have played around with some settings and currently seem to have got it back to normal by setting all my important apps (gmail/whatsapp/twitter...) to not be battery optimised. I also found some notification setting elsewhere that gave the default launcher permissions. I used nova launcher so I gave that permission too just in case, but I think the main fix was battery optimisation.

Just find it odd that I have never had to go into battery optimisation before on my previous phones (nexus 4, wileyfox swift) and notifications have come through fine after long periods of time in sleep mode.

Anyone able to suggest something else that may be causing this, or I could try. I wouldnt have noticed this problem if it wasnt for being at my PC and seeing new emails/fb messages coming in and not getting notification on my phone after the phone had gone into sleep.

-------------

As of typing this I recieved an email that also did not notify on my phone. Only when I picked up the phone I got it instantly. Battery optimisation for apps may not have worked.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,045
Message 2 of 11

Re: Moto G6 notifications during sleep

Hello Flickorz,

Thank you for reporting, interesting! Appreciate your efforts, glad to see its working as expected. I think the Gmail should not be affected by this, we can try something here.

• May I know from when did you notice this?
  • Could you test in safe mode to see if 'Gmail' shows the notification yet? 
  • Are you still using 'Nova Launcher' if yes, request you remove the launcher > perform wipe cache partition on your device > reboot.
  • Reset your notification settings to default, to do so -- locate apps and notification > three dots > reset app preferences > reboot your device and observe.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes?

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

Yonidass
Paper Tape
Views: 1,017
Message 3 of 11

I'm having the same problem. When the screen is locked for at least 5 or 10 minutes, I don't get any notifications until I unlock my phone. If I just pick it up I see the Moto display, but still no notifications will come. And when I unlock the phone, it still takes a few seconds before they show up, so clearly the phone itself is not connecting to notification services until it's unlocked. After a long time it does seem to connect without touching the phone, but I sometimes get emails more than an hour after they've been sent.

I'm not using Nova Launcher (or another other). And I don't have a data plan, so I'm on WiFi only for email. etc.

Flickorz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,012
Message 4 of 11

I noticed this an hour or two after the phone was fresh out the box.

Doing a bit more research it appears its something to do with how things are handled in Nougat/Oreo and battery saving methods (doze). It seems to be something I cant do anything about. Google and a handful of phone brands/devices dont seem to see it as a problem either, posts with the same problem go back 1-2 years. I have tried all the common suggestions to try and resolve this.

When the phone has sat still for a while it goes idle or into a type of do not disturb mode, even though its not turned on in settings to do so. I am just going to have to get into a habbit of nudging and waking phone every so often to keep notifications coming through while sitting with the phone on a desk.

SimonMack
Paper Tape
Views: 197
Message 5 of 11

I spent all day yesterday on this issue with my brand new G6 Play with no apps downloaded from new only 1 day old and I get the exact same problem. All the 'do not disturb' settings are disabled and all the overide notifications have been engaged but as you say, until the phone is awakened from some sort of deep sleep mode it will not see any emails. One of the main reasons I have had to 'bite the bullet' and get a smart phone after 20yrs using a very old Nokia C210 is that I have decided to get some home security cameras having been burgled. All the camera systems now send emails etc to a mobile in an event so that you can instantly access the cameras when away from home. What part of 'instant' is the G6 going to give me in the dead of night when I am fast asleep when this is most likely to occurr!? Also not at all impressed with the screen alert when in sleep mode for incoming emails, completely different when a phone call is incoming. I am going to contact UK Motorola tech support today to see if I can resolve, otherwise it is going back to John Lewis!

SimonMack
Paper Tape
Views: 185
Message 6 of 11

Not so good if you're like me and require immediate 'night time' alert emails from my home security camera system in the event of an intruder! I am having the same problem and my phone is brand new out of the box 1 day old with no new apps loaded!
Yonidass
Paper Tape
Views: 174
Message 7 of 11

One thing some of you might try is to turn off wifi and let your notifications come through your data plan (if you have one). I've read that with some other phones this problem was only happening on WiFi. Of course, that doesn't really solve the problem since most of use WiFi automatically whenever we can, but it might be a partial solution.

One thing I noticed with the G6 is that if I just woke the screen by hitting the power button, then it checked for notifications, so I didn't have to unlock the phone completely. But that's still a hassle.

I no longer have my G6 but now have a Nokia 6.1 (an Android One phone) and it has the same problem. It shipped with 8.1 and just upgraded to Pie a couple of days ago: same problem.

Clearly this is an OS issue and not a defect of the phone, because a lot of people have this problem with all kinds of phones (my girlfirend's G4 Play has it too). I think it started mostly with Android 7. My old Honor 5x running 6.1 never misses a notification.

As much as I like Android, it's little issues like these that are not standardized across devices that eventually drive some people to the iPhone. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 137
Message 8 of 11

@SimonMack wrote:

I spent all day yesterday on this issue with my brand new G6 Play with no apps downloaded from new only 1 day old and I get the exact same problem. All the 'do not disturb' settings are disabled and all the overide notifications have been engaged but as you say, until the phone is awakened from some sort of deep sleep mode it will not see any emails. One of the main reasons I have had to 'bite the bullet' and get a smart phone after 20yrs using a very old Nokia C210 is that I have decided to get some home security cameras having been burgled. All the camera systems now send emails etc to a mobile in an event so that you can instantly access the cameras when away from home. What part of 'instant' is the G6 going to give me in the dead of night when I am fast asleep when this is most likely to occurr!? Also not at all impressed with the screen alert when in sleep mode for incoming emails, completely different when a phone call is incoming. I am going to contact UK Motorola tech support today to see if I can resolve, otherwise it is going back to John Lewis!

Hi SimonMack,

Thank you for posting here, could you be more specific on the trouble you are facing with your device? Are you not receiving any notification email or is it delayed?

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

SimonMack
Paper Tape
Views: 135
Message 9 of 11

Eventually will get notifications but quite often not until the phone is brought out of sleep mode
Highlighted
Yonidass
Paper Tape
Views: 134
Message 10 of 11

For me, notifications eventually come even without waking the phone, but sometimes after a long while (10-20 minutes or longer). If I wake  the phone then they come right away.

Top Kudoed Authors