Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TA11
Fanfold Paper
Views: 660
Message 1 of 17

Moto G6 text by Bluetooth not supported when connected to Ford Sync

Morning All: Paired my new G6 to my Ford Sync 2 just like my old Moto X Play. It imported the phone list and is working as a phone however the Sync says the connected device does not support text messaging by bluetooth. The X Play worked fine. Anyone have this porblem and hopefully a solution? I have been reading for an hour now and found nothing. The G6 is Oreo 8.0, the X Play was Nougat 7.1.1

TA11

KarlBeckman
Token Ring
Views: 630
Message 2 of 17

Re: Moto G6 text by Bluetooth not supported when connected to Ford Sync

Did you check on the Ford website to see if text over Bluetooth is supported on the (obsolete) SYNC2 software?  For my Droid Turbo they say: "SYNC can receive SMS text messages sent to your connected phone and you may be able to command SYNC to reply with pre-set SMS text messages."  There is no listed capability for freeform text entry from SYNC2 back into the phone.  As of today the Moto G6 device is not listed as supported for 2015 SYNC2 or for 2016 SYNC3.  If your vehicle is more recent, and since it is running later OS than 7.1, go to the website to check details.

TA11
Fanfold Paper
Views: 621
Message 3 of 17

Thanks Karl.

The Moto X play worked fine and did not show as supported on the fairly useless Ford website. I am in Canada so as soon as you select that it only shows 2 old Motorola phones. I should have been more specific, my 2014 Escape has Sync 2 with My Ford Touch that is different from Sync 2 (even has it's own section in the owners manual). With the X Play it would notify you of a text and read it aloud. I could then select some "canned" replies as you noted. The G6 will not do anything except phone. When I select "messages" Sync says the connected device does not support text over bluetooth.  I may try deleting the G6 and pairing it again. Frustrating.

Tom.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 591
Message 4 of 17

Hi TA11,

I can ask around about this concern. In the meantime, can you confirm the SYNC software version of your car? Follow the steps here to check it: https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync/downloads-and-updates/how-to-check-sync-software-fo...

Would you also update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? This will help us investigate. If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

TA11
Fanfold Paper
Views: 572
Message 5 of 17

Hi JM, thanks for getting back to me. I have updated my profile as you requested.

I have Sync with My Ford Touch in a 2014 Escape Titanium.

This morning I deleted the G6 from the Sync & the Sync from the G6. Re-paired them and this time the sync asked for permissions from the phone. I granted them and the messaging worked until I exited the vehicle for a while and turned the bluetooth off on the G6 to save battery, which is draining surprisingly quickly. When I turned the bluetooth on again a couple of hours later it connected to the Sync, but the messaging would not work.

Thanks.

TA11

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 533
Message 6 of 17

I have forwarded this to our product team for checking. If you could generate a bug report, it will greatly help the investigation. Once the issue re-occurs, please generate the bug report right away. The steps are here: 

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log > Toggle On
6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
8. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive
9. Open the File Manager app on your phone and tap on Local on the top right. Browse to internal.
10. Upload the btsnoop_hci.log to your Google Drive as well
11. Share the link to the BugReport and btsnoop_hci.log on the forums in a reply or via a private message.
12. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.
13. One completed to Settings-> Developer options -> Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log > Toggle Off

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

TA11
Fanfold Paper
Views: 518
Message 7 of 17

I am away visiting friends "up north" right now and I will try and navigate my way through all that when I get back on Sunday. The issue continues unless I delete both from both and re-pair.

TA11

TA11
Fanfold Paper
Views: 479
Message 8 of 17

OK, my phone is all set for tomorrow morning when I get into my vehicle to go to work. It was not easy as the instructions given do not match what I see on my settings screen as the phone O/S is Android 8.0.0 and not what the instructions were taken from so I think what I did is correct. Will share the link tomorrow.

TA11

TA11
Fanfold Paper
Views: 451
Message 9 of 17

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N9fM1PeMnkABEL3RNkoJDV0-JWQ5QG9J/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gTBGf_7cZy9aLatalVEfv4EoZt8OA4Gi/view?usp=sharing

JM: here are the links to the bug reports. I did enable the btsnoop but it did not send anything to the file manager.

When I got in the Escape this morning. I deleted Sync from the phone & deleted the phone from Sync. When paired again the message box worked and noted there were no messages. I shut the vehicle off to do a call for work and when I started it again, the phone paired and once again when I selected messages in Sync the warning came up that the connected device does not support messaging by bluetooth.

Thanks.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 442
Message 10 of 17

@TA11 wrote:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N9fM1PeMnkABEL3RNkoJDV0-JWQ5QG9J/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gTBGf_7cZy9aLatalVEfv4EoZt8OA4Gi/view?usp=sharing

JM: here are the links to the bug reports. I did enable the btsnoop but it did not send anything to the file manager.

When I got in the Escape this morning. I deleted Sync from the phone & deleted the phone from Sync. When paired again the message box worked and noted there were no messages. I shut the vehicle off to do a call for work and when I started it again, the phone paired and once again when I selected messages in Sync the warning came up that the connected device does not support messaging by bluetooth.

Thanks.

Hi TA11,

Thank you for sharing us the additional information and the Bug Report with snoop logs, we will have this reviewed from engineer team for further investigation. We will keep you posted once we have additional information on this.

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

Top Kudoed Authors