Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gelootn
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,979
Message 1 of 13

Moto g6 plus GPS not working after Android 9 update

After the update to Android 9 my gps stopped working. I tried all workarounds that are mentioned on this forum, but nothing works. Even did a full factory reset, but that does not help.

Any advice to fix this? My GPS is already out for more then a week.

Lubarj
What's DOS?
Views: 8,771
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moto g6 plus GPS not working after Android 9 update

I'm facing the same problem. 

Someone know if Motorole solve this issue?

Please help me 'cause I use a lot my GPS to work.

TKS.

Highlighted
ncv101
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,638
Message 3 of 13

Re: Moto g6 plus GPS not working after Android 9 update *FIX*

Not sure if you still have this issue, but I had exactly the same after my phone was updated to Android 9.

Turned out that on my phone it optimized all applications per default for battery usage (after the Pie upgrade). As most applications won't get a direct GPS fix upon entry they will retry and this is what the Battery Optimization won't allow and thus you get no GPS.

In my case what turned out to be the solution: Settings --> Apps & Notification --> Special app access --> Battery Optimisation --> select from the dropdown: All apps --> Select your App e.g. Waze or Google Maps --> Select tickbox for Don't optimise

After this change I had a direct GPS fix again after it calculated the route for the selected application. Hope it helps in your case as well.

Gelootn
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,635
Message 4 of 13

The problem is still there for me, i changed the settings as you mentioned, lets see what happens. thx for the possible fix!

ncv101
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,630
Message 5 of 13

Sorry to hear! Smiley Sad

One last addition you might want to check is regarding location accuracy. It seems that there are double settings that work against each other somehow (only other change I did for the GPS stuff).

Settings --> Security & Location --> Under Privacy select Location --> Under App-level permissions select advanced --> Under (again) App-level permissions select Scanning --> Two options here Wi-Fi scanning and Bluetooth scanning, switch both to off. Now go back one screen and under Location services select Google Location Accuracy --> Make sure that Improve Location Accuracy is switched on. Now try again to see if it works (obviously somewhere outside! Smiley Happy ).

The Google Location Accuracy seems to somewhat (or perhaps completely) overlap with the Wi-Fi scanning option above. With me both were switched on.

Really hope this is the final trick to get your device going as it was annoying me greatly and can imagine for you and others that is the same!

Lubarj
What's DOS?
Views: 8,598
Message 6 of 13

After switch off Wi scanning and Bluetooth scanning option, I executed Moto test application and now I'm able to connect to 12 satellite. Tomorrow I'm gonna test use wase to confirm if it's solve.

Thanks a lot.

Chris_hueso
Punch Card
Views: 8,394
Message 7 of 13

i have the same problem on a Moto G6 play, after update to android pie, GPS stop working

Delsumners
Paper Tape
Views: 8,039
Message 8 of 13

I to have same problems after update, will try solutions offered by other users posts. I'll update post if successful.

Update........

GPS is working ok, both in default and solutions provided. Navigation works on Google maps in car and walking, no loss of GPS signal. However will add Google maps timeline results just show straight lines between areas that I've been, they don't show streets that I've travelled. 

Nowakus
What's DOS?
Views: 6,927
Message 9 of 13

I lost GPS on my Moto G6 shortly after Android 9 update (I can't fully confirm the update is the reason, but the timing suggests it). I tried chaning the wifi location scanning options, google location modes, I even did a factory reset. Nothing helps.

Is there some way to test if this is a software or hardware problem? The test application you mentioned - how did you use it? I tried googling it, but there is very little information about it.

larsdk
What's DOS?
Views: 6,489
Message 10 of 13

HI, I did the above on Battery Optimization, AND also selected Don't optimize for LocationServices, restart phone, and that solved my gps issues. Thanks for the tip on Battery Optimization.
Top Kudoed Authors