Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
surfcat
Paper Tape
Views: 6,230
Message 19 of 113

Moto g6 upgrade to android 9 screen pin changed

Hi,

yesterday I was invited by my phone to upgrade to the latest system update, including android 9.

I downloaded it, and then set it installing overnight.

This morning I restarted the phone.  First it asks for my pin to start android.  I enter it. Ok.  Then it asks for my pin to access sim1.  I enter the same pin.  Ok.  At this point I can see I have a few notifications etc from my usual apps, so it looks like all is good.  I tap the fingerprint, but it needs the screen pin to be entered to activate it.  I enter the same pin (same as the above two pins, and same as I have been using to unlock the screen since I first set up my phone following purchase).

However, the screen lock pin isn’t recognised.

how can I get out of this situation? Is there a default moto g6 or android 9 screen pin?

ive tried powering off/on a few times, but it goes through the same sequence.

what can I do?

I know exactly what my pin is (I use it on all devices in my house).

Cheers,

Surfcat

eldror
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,113
Message 1 of 113

MOTO G6 Pattern lock not recognized after Android 9 update

I've just updated my MOTO G6 to Android 9.0.

The phone does not recognize my lock pattern to gain access to the home screen, although the same pattern is a used and enables going through the reboot screen (the black screen).  

I can receive calls, see notifications and control the volume and restart options but that's basically it.

I tried several restarts (regular and safe mode) to no avail.

Please help as soon as possible.

lazy_day
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,029
Message 2 of 113

Re: MOTO G6 Pattern lock not recognized after Android 9 update

Hi, I had exactly the same issue. Tried everything, but it said I had used the wrong pattern to enable fingerprint (even though fingerprint and pattern worked to get to the lockscreen in the first place!!). 

The last resort was the external reset:

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/products/cell-phones/moto-g-family/moto-g6/tutorials#/device/moto...

Fortunately all my pictures etc were already on google drive, so I haven't lost anything. Frankly I'm amazed I'm the first to reply to this - surely there must be more people affected?!

Hope this helps you, good luck! 

pmulvany
What's DOS?
Views: 5,996
Message 3 of 113

Exactly the same. I really don't want to do a factory reset, the only option I can see at the moment. Please advise...
pmulvany
What's DOS?
Views: 5,991
Message 4 of 113

So, when I repeatedly tried drawing the pattern, eventually received a message with an audio beep saying wrong pattern entered nnn times enter correct code in 30 seconds. Then, on returning to the home screen, tried to enter the pattern but could not do so because whole screen moved with the finger swipe until the 30 seconds expired...

Help please...

Thanks

Bmul
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,968
Message 5 of 113

I have the exact same issue, post software update the pattern works to allow the phone to be booted, but once the Sim pin has been entered, the screen lock asks for the pattern again.

Over 200 attempts, 0 worked. The pattern is correct, fingerprint not an option until unlocked. 

I understand a factory reset would work, but this is not an option for me as there is data on the phone I want.

This is obviously an issue from the update so a response would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 5,945
Message 6 of 113

All, we are actively looking into these reports. Can you please ensure your forum profiles are updated? Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look from our end.

-Tom

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Bmul
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,928
Message 7 of 113

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Settings updated as per above,

Happy to allow investigation from your side.

-Brendan
lazy_day
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,904
Message 8 of 113

Hi, reset worked for me, but I've updated my profile anyway and I'm happy for you to look into it. Cheers.

pmulvany
What's DOS?
Views: 5,897
Message 9 of 113

Sorted - but required (with great difficulty) a hard reset to Factory Settings (as it were). In fact, it reset to a wiped phone with Android Pie already installed. Now, I'm whiling away the hours reinstalling and configuring apps, restoring (hopefully saved) data, logs etc., and redoing my home screens - all of which I did just a few months ago with this new phone. Not a happy bunny... Next time, forewarned; don't do anything until it has been tested by others on the same phones using the same carriers, and back up everything before attempting an upgrade! 

Top Kudoed Authors