Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gav71
Paper Tape
Views: 5,157
Message 1 of 5

Motorola G6 Play screen shattered.

Hi All

I've only just purchased the Moto G6 Play, and I have already dropped it face down. The screen has shattered pretty bad but the phone is still working. However the only place I can get this replaced is via Lenovo, who wont even give me a hint at the cost until they have my handset, and they also quote that it costs £20 to send it back to me whether I agree to have it fixed or not, after I have received the quote for the work.

The phone only cost £170 so this seems like it could be an extremley steep repair for what appears to be a peice of glass only no digitizer, can anyone suggest any other repair shops that may make a repair or any alternatives recomendations.

The only other place I can find that offer repairs for this phone is Motorolarepairer.co.uk and they have quoted me £69.99 for the screen and £20 return delivery again quite expensive when you compare to the cost of the phone. Any suggestions or details of when we can expect Lenovo to sell parts for these phones would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gav

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 5,110
Message 2 of 5

Re: Motorola G6 Play screen shattered.

@Gav71 wrote:

Hi All

I've only just purchased the Moto G6 Play, and I have already dropped it face down. The screen has shattered pretty bad but the phone is still working. However the only place I can get this replaced is via Lenovo, who wont even give me a hint at the cost until they have my handset, and they also quote that it costs £20 to send it back to me whether I agree to have it fixed or not, after I have received the quote for the work.

The phone only cost £170 so this seems like it could be an extremley steep repair for what appears to be a peice of glass only no digitizer, can anyone suggest any other repair shops that may make a repair or any alternatives recomendations.

The only other place I can find that offer repairs for this phone is Motorolarepairer.co.uk and they have quoted me £69.99 for the screen and £20 return delivery again quite expensive when you compare to the cost of the phone. Any suggestions or details of when we can expect Lenovo to sell parts for these phones would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gav

No one here can answer anything about parts as moto doesn't sell parts directly. Parts would only be available via resellers that track them down from the manufacturers. 

The glass, digitizer and LCD are usually one package these days that is why the cost is more then $10 for the part. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Ultirian
What's DOS?
Views: 5,019
Message 3 of 5

Hey! I think they must have made the screen weak sauce on purpose as my screen did exactly the same thing but less of a distance. The cheapest place I seen is about 70-80 quid myself. I should have kept my g4 play as that was a bit slow but going fine. 

Last time I buy a Motorola that's for sure considering I bought them since the G3 I'm so annoyed about the lame "gorilla glass" screen. Should have bought a Samsung would have had a new screen quote by now.

Gav71
Paper Tape
Views: 4,869
Message 4 of 5

Hi All

Just a quick update as I noticed this page got a lot of traffic. I purchased a new Screen from Aliexpress for £20, this arrived in about two week which was much quicker than stated. I'm still unsure whether or not to fit this myself with the help of Youtube or whether to take it into a shop, most have quoted £25 to change the screens.

Here's the link below for the purchase hope this helps someone else too at a later date.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Motorola-Moto-G6-Play-LCD-Display-Touch-Screen-Panel-Mobile-Phon...

Good Luck

Muzzle68
What's DOS?
Views: 3,982
Message 5 of 5

I have the very same problem. Only a month and I shattered the screen glass only. Phone works just as well. I had a case and a Plexi glass protector also. Cracks all over the place. I put a darker shade screen glass protector on it so I don't have to see it as bad. Forget fixing it. To much money. I'll use this as long as it works. It just bothers me to see it. You can fix it yourself for about 30$ and a you tube video. But I'm not taking that chance. I have is brand new Moto E4 if I have to can this one. But it looks like it's just hard luck for us.

Top Kudoed Authors