Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SpottyDog
Paper Tape
Views: 177
Message 1 of 4

No 2G coverage on EE monthly SIM in UK

I have a Moto G6 XT1925-5 dual SIM unlocked phone, but try as hard as I can I can only see options for 4G (recommended) and 3G, not 2G. This despite EE technical support saying it should be available in my area. The 4G is on 1800 MHz., and the 3G is on 2100 MHz I also have an O2 SIM and that offers 4G (recommended) 3G and 2G, using 800 and 900 MHz.

Anyone else experienced this?  I wonder if EE are keeping 2G 1800 MHz for old phones that can only do 2G. I understand that they are converting some 2G 1800 spectrum to 4G.

Thanks in advance,

SpottyDog

Motorola Employee
Motorola Employee
Views: 131
Message 2 of 4

Re: No 2G coverage on EE monthly SIM in UK

Hi,

EE requirements are that we disable the 2G option in the network selection menu.

• If you select 4G, you will automatically connect to 4G, 3G or 2G (depending on what is available in the area)
  • If you select 3G, you will automatically connect to 3G or 2G(depending on what is available in the area)

EE are aware that this can cause a little confusion, and in a future updates you may see this menu change to say "4G, 3G & 2G".

Does this clear things up?

SpottyDog
Paper Tape
Views: 122
Message 3 of 4

Thanks Will,

Just to be  clear are you saying that 2G won't be offered if 3G is available in my area?  As far as I can tll all three (4G, 3G and 2G) are available here.  Will the menu be the same in another part of the country where 2G is available but 3G is not so that chosing 3G may infact only give 2G?

Motorola Employee
Motorola Employee
Views: 119
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

Your phone is always looking at factors like signal strength and speeds, and chooses the best network for you to be onat that time. There's a few cases where that might be 2G even in a 3G area (if there's an issue with the 3G component, for example), but it's very unlikely.

The menu will never change based on location.

Top Kudoed Authors