Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sc000
Punch Card
Views: 2,548
Message 1 of 7

Norton Antivirus found JavaTcmdHelper PUA Threat

I just installed Norton Mobile antivirus and did a virus scan on a new phone. The JavaTcmd PUA 'threat' appears. This appears to be a system file with no way of removing it. Is this a false positive?

Screenshot.jpg

Former Employee
Views: 2,497
Message 2 of 7

Re: Norton Antivirus found JavaTcmdHelper PUA Threat

@sc000 wrote:

I just installed Norton Mobile antivirus and did a virus scan on a new phone. The JavaTcmd PUA 'threat' appears. This appears to be a system file with no way of removing it. Is this a false positive?

Hi sc000,

Thank you for writing to us, please be advised that this is 'False positive' nothing to worry about.

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
huhutrololo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,742
Message 3 of 7

does it mean javatcmdhelper is not harmful? I got the same notification via my anti virus software, I've read javatcmdhelper is a malware which can cause draining of battery, unwanted calls and sending of unwanted sms, also javatcmdhelper can completely lock your screen - in accord with some articles where javatcmdhelper is classified as artemis virus

definitely I can't find out like anywhere if this is a real malware or an app/file which is falsely categorized as a virus

and as well is this application a part of the original motorola applications?

norton antivirus has detected javatcmdhelper in my moto g6 - this javatcmdhelper application is even depicted in storage>other apps>SYSTEM APPS

thanks for answer

OgglerBob
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,664
Message 4 of 7

If it is just a false positive, then why are other Antivirus communities saying delete it? What is this app? What is this app doing Where is information about this app?

Highlighted
Former Employee
Views: 1,619
Message 5 of 7

@OgglerBob wrote:

If it is just a false positive, then why are other Antivirus communities saying delete it? What is this app? What is this app doing Where is information about this app?

Hi OgglerBob,

We are certain that this is 'False positive' nothing to worry about. If you are looking to have more information, please contact the respective 'App Developer'.

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,609
Message 6 of 7

@OgglerBob wrote:

False positives are very common occurrences, especially when system files change between virus definition updates. The people to contact about this don't work at Moto: they work at Norton, because if they're distributing a faulty app, they have to fix it.

Again:  this is common, and contacting Norton should get this fixed in their next app update.

Here's a link from the Norton community website discussing this issues.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-mobile-security-shows-important-files-pua-android-810

And one more thing:  don't be so fast to delete system files until you have no doubt whatsoever that the file is a villain.

OgglerBob
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,521
Message 7 of 7

Thank you. I'll get with Norton. Good advice too.

Top Kudoed Authors