Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pottyperson
Paper Tape
Views: 204
Message 1 of 9

Notifications not appearing in notification bar

Notifications on my G6 Plus seem generally to be working OK but some expected ones do not appear in the notification bar as they should. Here are two examples:

App Updates.  I don't use auto-updating and should be alerted by the Google Play icon when updates are available.

MyBackup app.  My phone is often not connected to the internet when a scheduled update point is reached and I should be notified by the MyBackup icon that the update has failed.

The notifications never appear even though, as far as I can see, all necessary phone and app settings are operative. I have no problem with accessing and applying these updates manually but would prefer not to rely on my sporadic memory.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 185
Message 2 of 9

Re: Notifications not appearing in notification bar

Hi pottyperson,

Thank you for posting. For Google Play not update, have you checked the settings in Google Play Store? There is a  setting there that would notify you if the app has an update. You will need to go to Apps > "Play Store" > 3 Horizontal Line Icon (Located at the top left corner) > "Settings" > "Notifications" > "Updates". Make sure it is turned on if not, I would suggest to Disable and Enable your Playstore by going to Apps > Settings > App&Notifications > App Info > Google Play Store > Disable then Enable. That would reset the notifications settings for Google Play Store. For "My Backup" app, I am not very familiar with that app since I have not used that before. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

pottyperson
Paper Tape
Views: 181
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the prompt reply, Zeke. The Google Play setting was turned on so I disabled and re-enabled the app. I'll wait to see if that kickstarts notifications and let you know.

Highlighted
pottyperson
Paper Tape
Views: 129
Message 4 of 9

Hi again Zeke.

Having had no notifications since reinstalling the Play app, I just did a manual check and found a batch of updates waiting. So it didn't solve the issue. I also noticed that the confirmation which used to appear in the notification bar after updating failed. It may be relevant that I tried enabling auto-updating and that also fails. I can't be sure, but it could be that these issues appeared when I upgraded to Android Pie.

Any further advice would be welcome. (I'm not too bothered about the MyBackup issue, which I only mentioned because it seemed related.)

Thanks,  Alan

sd-p
Paper Tape
Views: 99
Message 5 of 9

Had exactly the same problem on my moto g6 plus - a factory reset (without installing one of the offered fuses) helped.

pottyperson
Paper Tape
Views: 86
Message 6 of 9

A bit of research suggests it's a widespread problem with no straightforward answer, see here. I've decided the simplest course is to remember to update manually now and then.

sd-p
Paper Tape
Views: 82
Message 7 of 9

I tried this before, but it did not solved the problem for me.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 73
Message 8 of 9

Hi pottyperson,

It looks like it's some sort of software related factor causing this. Try clearing the Google Play Store's cache and data (Settings > Apps > Google Play Store > Storage > Clear Cache, Clear Data). Check and see if notification will show. Otherwise, I recommend what works for sd-p. Let us know if you have a question. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

pottyperson
Paper Tape
Views: 24
Message 9 of 9

Thanks, Rich, but that hasn't done it. I'll rely on remembering to check manually for updates, which will be a lot less bother than resetting the phone.

Top Kudoed Authors