Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chascoop49
Paper Tape
Views: 1,660
Message 1 of 4

Poor Reception with New Moto G6

I just received my Moto G6 yesterday. It replaces a Samsung Galaxy J3 (which was a replacement for my damaged Moto G4). My carrier is Consumer Cellular.

After the initial set-up, which went smoothly, I noticed both the WiFi and carrier signal were fuctuating even while the phone is sitting in one location. I placed my wife's phone (a Moto G4 also with Consumer Cellular) and my phone side by side and her's shows WiFi and carrier signal at full strength while mine continues to fuctuate.

I also noticed this, I walked outside with the WiFi disabled and made a phone call... The signal strength was at about 2 bars (LTE) and as soon as the call was made the signal strength changed to solid bars but the symbol beside the graph changed  to what looked like an H instead of LTE. 

I didn't experience this with my Moto G4 or Samsung Galaxy J3.  What could be causing this?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,608
Message 2 of 4

Re: Poor Reception with New Moto G6

@chascoop49 wrote:

I just received my Moto G6 yesterday. It replaces a Samsung Galaxy J3 (which was a replacement for my damaged Moto G4). My carrier is Consumer Cellular.

After the initial set-up, which went smoothly, I noticed both the WiFi and carrier signal were fuctuating even while the phone is sitting in one location. I placed my wife's phone (a Moto G4 also with Consumer Cellular) and my phone side by side and her's shows WiFi and carrier signal at full strength while mine continues to fuctuate.

I also noticed this, I walked outside with the WiFi disabled and made a phone call... The signal strength was at about 2 bars (LTE) and as soon as the call was made the signal strength changed to solid bars but the symbol beside the graph changed  to what looked like an H instead of LTE. 

I didn't experience this with my Moto G4 or Samsung Galaxy J3.  What could be causing this?

Hi chascoop49,

Thank you for reporting us, a lot of factors depends on the Network fluctuation. However, we would like to know if this affects the call quality?

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

chascoop49
Paper Tape
Views: 1,604
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for the quick response!

Believe it or not, the call quality isn't my top priority. I'm a senior citizen and use my phone as a camera, as a GPS, calendar, for checking prices while shopping, for ebooks, etc. I only receive a call or make a call once or twice a day at the most. So only having had the phone for 3 days there hasn't been enough calls to determine whether the call quality is affected. 

This is the part I do not understand from the original email- "The signal strength was at about 2 bars (LTE) and as soon as the call was made the signal strength changed to solid bars but the symbol beside the graph changed  to what looked like an H instead of LTE." What does "H" mean and does it affect the speed of the internet connection when I try to access the web through the carrier or through a local WiFi? 

I hope that makes sense. 

Thank you again.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,497
Message 4 of 4

Hi chascoop49,

Thanks for posting, sorry about the delay in response. Please be informed that;

• H and H+ are standing for HSPA and HSPA+. Both use the UMTS network, where H is faster than 3G and H+ is faster than H.
  • 4G stands for LTE and is the fastest. 

Hope this clarifies! 

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

Top Kudoed Authors