Did you mean: 
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 221
Message 11 of 21

Re: SD card - G6 Play

@romeobravo wrote:

Same issue here guys.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G6-Moto-G6-Plus-Moto-G6/Name-of-the-SD-card-changes-at-each-reboot...

The name of the SD card changes at each reboot, this is so annoying...

Definitely not a normal behavior.

Thanks.

Hi romeobravo,

Thank you for reporting to us, just to narrow down have you tested with different SD card? If not, request you to test with a different SD card and let us know if that stops changing the SD card name automatically. 

We might need a Bug Reports, let me know if you need steps to capture the Bug report?

Regards,

Swaraj'

Moto Support

Seasickmick
Punch Card
Views: 211
Message 12 of 21

I've submitted a bug report and pics to show this happens almost a month ago now and there's still no fix. This is very poor from Motorola and it's a pain in the backside to have to rescan my phone after every restart for 10k+ songs that are on my SD.  I "returned" to Motorola from a samsung but beginning to reget it now.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 201
Message 13 of 21

@Seasickmick wrote:

I've submitted a bug report and pics to show this happens almost a month ago now and there's still no fix. This is very poor from Motorola and it's a pain in the backside to have to rescan my phone after every restart for 10k+ songs that are on my SD.  I "returned" to Motorola from a samsung but beginning to reget it now.

Hi Seasickmick, 

I understand how inconvenience this could be, please be advised that we have already shared your reports with our engineer team for further investigation who is actively looking into this. We will keep you posted once we hear something on this.

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

romeobravo
What's DOS?
Views: 180
Message 14 of 21

Sorry but the SD card is brand new, several people have had the same issue, no need for a complex and time consuming debug trace (i am not equipped anymore with dev tools and don't want to install them), everything is said.

All i know is it is a real pain in the neck to reconfigure every other app i use daily each  time there is a reset. I have owned a G3, a G4, a X play, a X4, a G5S, and this G6 play, i have always been happy with Moto devices, but now i am starting to wonder if my next phone will be bought to you guys.

iliketoast
Paper Tape
Views: 149
Message 15 of 21

I am having the same problem. I upgraded from a g4 play to a g6 play and it has been a nightmare. The Sd card gets renamed after each reboot. I have spent 6 hours  contacting support for the individual apps installing, (Rocket player, Podbean, Castbox, Stitcher, Rocket player, and a few other mp3 players) clearing caches, deleting files, installing brand new sd cards and the result is the same: the podcast and music players have to rescan the sdcard each time to find files. Some get stuck looking for files. It took some time to find this forum and realize it is a moto problem. Looking at the original date of these threads it appears as though lenovo has not come up with a  solution.  

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 124
Message 16 of 21

@iliketoast wrote:

I am having the same problem. I upgraded from a g4 play to a g6 play and it has been a nightmare. The Sd card gets renamed after each reboot. I have spent 6 hours  contacting support for the individual apps installing, (Rocket player, Podbean, Castbox, Stitcher, Rocket player, and a few other mp3 players) clearing caches, deleting files, installing brand new sd cards and the result is the same: the podcast and music players have to rescan the sdcard each time to find files. Some get stuck looking for files. It took some time to find this forum and realize it is a moto problem. Looking at the original date of these threads it appears as though lenovo has not come up with a  solution.  

Hi iliketoast,

Thank you for reporting, we would like to help and want to look further into this, if you can update your profile with the IMEI of your device, this can help us investigate and see what's causing the disconnect. Also, kindly send a Bug Report regarding this. Bug Report will collect information about your current device state.

Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On

Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On

Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take Bug Report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.

Wait for some time until the Bug Report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.

Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply.

Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the Bug Report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

iliketoast
Paper Tape
Views: 115
Message 17 of 21

Agent S,  thanks for the reply. I was working on the issue over the weekend, I needed the problem solved as I was running out of time to return the phone.

Here is the solution I came up with. I believe that the moto 6 play is renaming the sd card each time it reboots / restarts. The card was a lexar 64 gb sdxc 1 card (format: exFAT). I  tried to recreate the problem with 8 gb sdhc card (format:FAT32) and could not, it was not  renaming the card. The default formatting for the sdxc card is exFAT, weather I formatted in windows or android oreo. I dowloaded Mini Tool Partition Tool 10 for Windows 10 to force the formatting to FAT 32 and VOILA no more issues. The card name never changes. Now all my music, playlists, genres, podcasts etc work great. The one downside is that a file cannot be larger than 4 gb. more info: https://www.androidauthority.com/high-capacity-microsd-cards-android-gary-explains-690710/

I have tried: Podbean, Castbox, Stitcher, Podcast App, Podcast Republic, Antenna Pod, Black player, Pi Music player, Rocket player and Pulsar Music player over the last few days and they all worked seemlessly. But, once moto resolves the card renaming issue I would likley change the format back to exFAT.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 103
Message 18 of 21

@iliketoast wrote:

Agent S,  thanks for the reply. I was working on the issue over the weekend, I needed the problem solved as I was running out of time to return the phone.

Here is the solution I came up with. I believe that the moto 6 play is renaming the sd card each time it reboots / restarts. The card was a lexar 64 gb sdxc 1 card (format: exFAT). I  tried to recreate the problem with 8 gb sdhc card (format:FAT32) and could not, it was not  renaming the card. The default formatting for the sdxc card is exFAT, weather I formatted in windows or android oreo. I dowloaded Mini Tool Partition Tool 10 for Windows 10 to force the formatting to FAT 32 and VOILA no more issues. The card name never changes. Now all my music, playlists, genres, podcasts etc work great. The one downside is that a file cannot be larger than 4 gb. more info: https://www.androidauthority.com/high-capacity-microsd-cards-android-gary-explains-690710/

I have tried: Podbean, Castbox, Stitcher, Podcast App, Podcast Republic, Antenna Pod, Black player, Pi Music player, Rocket player and Pulsar Music player over the last few days and they all worked seemlessly. But, once moto resolves the card renaming issue I would likley change the format back to exFAT.

We thank you for your efforts and appreciate you trying to fix this. We have shared your feedback with our product team already. Glad to see the progress.

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

Seasickmick
Punch Card
Views: 70
Message 19 of 21

Any update on this from Motorola? the silence is deafening.
Highlighted
Seasickmick
Punch Card
Views: 36
Message 20 of 21

TWO MONTHS since to bug report now and nothing andd silence from the reps. Terrible customer service.

Top Kudoed Authors